SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fact Check - Need some help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Fact Check - Need some help Reply with quote

I've been following the developments SBVT pretty closely ever since the first ad came out. I've been doing some research and want to send a summary of my findings to friends and colleagues who are undecided voters or are planning to vote for Kerry (most don't know about SBVT or think Bush should comdemn the group), but first want to make sure that I have the facts straight. If someone would review this for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
------------------------

Kerry is publicly calling on Bush to denounce the "Swift Vets" ads (www.swiftvets.com) and has tried to link this group to the Bush administration. The Swift Vets organization is made up of more than 250 Swift boat veterans (including every single officer that Kerry served under) who claim that Kerry has grossly misrepresented his service in Vietnam and lied in his 1971 testimony before Congress. The only demand listed on their website is that Kerry release his full war records (which he could do by simply filling out a Form 180). When Bush's war record was questioned, it was front-page news for weeks and the media demanded that Bush release his military records, despite the fact that there was no basis for these accusations. Bush released his records and the issue was dropped. Now that Kerry's record is being questioned, the media is doing all they can to defend Kerry and attack this Swift Vets group. Kerry refuses to release his record and has instead decided to go after these guys by calling them "liars" and "Bush cronies". If they're such liars, then why doesn't he just release his war record and put the issue to rest? Hmmm....

Kerry has spent the last 30 years trying to seperate himself from his service in Vietnam. He threw away his medals, said he was "ashamed" of his service, and his picture is hanging in a N. Vietnam museum (Vietnamese Communist War Remnants Museum) in recognition of the valuable help he provided the N. Vietnamese in their victory over the United States. Now he's completely turned his back on the past 30 years and is saying he's "proud" of his war service and claims to be a "war hero". Gag me. During the 70s, it was politically expedient to be anti-war. Now it's not, so he flips positions. There's nothing I hate more than a candidate who will say anything to get elected.

Kerry's campaign has filed a complaint with the FEC claiming that Bush is "secretly partnering" with Swift Vets, even though there's no evidence of that. The only evidence they're using is that a one-time friend of Karl Rove's (Bush advisor) and a few other "Texas Republicans" donated money to this group. While Kerry is filing complaints and demanding that Bush denounce the Swift Vets, the Democratic Party is partnering with MoveOn.org (a group that has called Bush a "Nazi", compared him to Hitler, and worse). Both the Swift Vets and MoveOn.org are independent 527s. MoveOn.org has received over $10 million in donations (much more than Swift Vets) and has ties to the Kerry campaign, but Kerry doesn't seem to care about that. In fact, 87% of money that is donated to 527s (known as "soft money") goes to liberal organizations. If Bush should condemn the Swift Vets for attacking Kerry, shouldn't Kerry have to condemn MoveOn.org (as well as Michael Moore's "Ferenheit 9/11") for viciously attacking Bush? You'd think so, but Kerry has decided to take a different route. He has HIRED Zach Exley, the director of special projects for MoveOn.org, to become the Kerry campaign's director of online communications and organization. Interestingly enough, a member of the Bush administration's re-election campaign had to quit yesterday when it was discovered that he had been working with the Swift Vets. Talk about a double standard.

For 25 years John Kerry has said repeatedly that on Christmas or Christmas Eve of 1968 he took his swift boat into Cambodia on a covert and illegal mission. On the Senate floor on March 27, 1986 (Congressional Record, page 6422), Sen. Kerry said:

"I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting on a gunboat in Cambodia. I remember what is was like to be shot at by Vietnamese and Khme Rouge and Cambodians, and have the President of the United States telling the American people that I was not there; The troops were not in Cambodia…I have that memory which is seared--seared--in me...."

In an October 14, 1979, letter to the Boston Herald, Sen. Kerry wrote of his vivid memories of his Christmas Eve spent in Cambodia:

"I remember spending Christmas Eve of 1968 five miles across the Cambodian border being shot at by our South Vietnamese allies who were drunk and celebrating Christmas. The absurdity of almost being killed by our own allies in a country in which President Nixon claimed there were no American troops was very real."

Now that evidence has proven there was no way Kerry could have been in Cambodia at that time, his campaign is scrambling to provide explanations. At first they said he was on a river NEAR Cambodia. Now they say he had a mistaken recollection and was in/near Cambodia sometime later on (after Christmas). So much for that "searing" memory.

Kerry closed the Democratic National Convention with a story in which he claimed that when a mine went off on March 13, 1969, all 5 swiftboats fled the scene, but he turned around and came back to save a crewmate (despite heavy gunfire). Now his campaign admits that story is false and Kerry was actually the one who fled while all the other boats stayed behind. His campaign still maintains that he came back and there was heavy gunfire, but that's irrelevant since it's already been proven that Kerry lied. He may have come back, but there are many witnesses who say there was no gunfire at all. The incident took over an hour, yet there were no reported "bullet-related" casualties or ship-damage. Hmmmm....

With all these inconsistencies, is it really any wonder why Kerry won't release his full war record? I just want to know why no one in the media has demanded that these records be released, as they did when Bush's war records were questioned.

If Kerry's telling the truth, then why isn't anyone upset that he's admitted to committing brutal war crimes? See: http://www.aim.org/media_monitor/1542_0_2_0_C

Do you really want to support a man who is either a war criminal or a compulsive liar? The choice is yours.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty good. There are a whole lot of other stories that Kerry lied about but it's up to you what you want to include to make your point. Using Kerry's official statements in Congressional testimony is your best bet. I may also be worth while to show his voting record for the past 19 yrs - how he has flip flopped to get votes. Also include his official testimony in honor of his fellow crewmate in 1997 when he asked to include testimony in Senate record - this completely refutes Rassman's story. It is important because it shows that Kerry was lying either then or now and this was well before the SVBT came on the scene or his Presidential run.

- instigator
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great except I think it was every officer except for one, I may be wrong, also I am pretty sure that the man that had to leave the re-election campaign was a volunteer. If I am wrong on these accounts I am sure someone will help correct me. Smile
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NavyChief,

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct on both counts, BC. Smile
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BC,

Thanks. I got the "every officer Kerry served under" bit from the SBVT FAQ page. Quote:

"Overall, more than 250 Swift boat veterans are on the record questioning Kerry's fitness to serve as Commander-in-Chief. That list includes his entire chain of command -- every single officer Kerry served under in Vietnam."

If this is incorrect, let me know and make sure SBVT updates their FAQ.
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also say that I'm just 21, so my friends are all young voters and pretty ignorant of what went on during/after Vietnam. I don't know if many of the SBVT members realize this, but very few voters my age are aware that Kerry admitted to committing atrocities (burning villages, etc.) That's why his claims of being a "war hero" have been so effective among young voters. During arguments over the SBVT issue, I find that my peers (even the liberal ones) become quite upset and uneasy when I point out that Kerry has admitted to committing war crimes. Some even accuse me of lying until I show them the quotes. Then I really nail them by saying that Kerry is either a war criminal or compulsive liar. That would make a great ad. Just my 2 cents.
SF
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: 30 years and turnaround? Reply with quote

You should check this, but I'm not sure I agree that his running as a war hero is new with this campaign. It's my understanding that Kerry has used his war hero status in every campaign. The Michael Moore movie is "Fahrenheit 911" so correct your spelling....
If you're going to pass this around, I'd advise using bullets or boldface on your main points so that they can be absorbed quickly.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fr11 makes a good point about younger voters not being aware of Kerry's past statements and actions while we were still involved in Vietnam. Get that story out in a clear form and make them aware, it's a powerful weapon.
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears Sen. Kerry loves the word "seared"

Kerry Seared All Over
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylin19 wrote:
It appears Sen. Kerry loves the word "seared"

Kerry Seared All Over

LOLOL! Now THAT's funny!!!!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: