SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noting fallacies, and a comment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SF
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Noting fallacies, and a comment Reply with quote

Over and over we see the press (NYT on Thurlow, WSJ's 8/23 Best of the Web, talking heads on radio and TV such as Nadler) assuming that which is challenged. Is this what they call begging the question, or circular reasoning? (Are those the same things?) Specifically, the Navy medal citations are accepted as proof of the circumstances surrounding the award -- enemy fire, enemy's numerical superiority, nature of wound, etc.
Maybe short letters to the editor, or to the writer, noting the fallacy would make the point. If this was done every time it happens, a dent might be made.
Seems to me, the medal citations are accepted over and over again as proof that Kerry's telling the truth.
Good analogies would be helpful. Best I can think of is the idea that a Pulitzer citation proves that the Pulitzer was deserved. Not. The Pulitzer = the citation, just as the medal = the medal citation. SBVT need to be clear they are challenging the medal and the **accompanying** (as opposed to *supporting*) citation.
While I agree that the anti-war stuff is more compelling than the medal stuff in the case against Kerry, it is the medals that gave him the credibility to do so much damage as an anti-war leader.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is a great article that addresses your question about whether it's begging the question or circular reasoning. I would answer you, but I can't remember.

http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: