SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

By his own words, Kerry wrote the After Action Reports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: By his own words, Kerry wrote the After Action Reports Reply with quote

I think we're missing one thing here that just occurred to me. In T of D Kerry claims to have been the CTE (Commander Task Element) on both 28 Feb 69 and 13 Mar 69. AS CTE he would have been responsible for writing the after action reports.

This is confirmed by all participating officers on 13 Mar 69 for sure. Rood is the only remaining officer from 28 Feb 69. And I'll say it again Kerry clearly says he was CTE, therefore he wrote the reports. Slam Dunk (almost)!

The other OinC's did not know the contents of these reports until Tour of Duty was released last winter. Elliott took Kerry at his word and processed award requests. Kerry lied/embellished.
George Danenhauer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: After Action Reports - FOIA Availability Reply with quote

Does Kerry need to sign a Form 180 for the March 13 After Action Report to be released (i.e., it doesn't seem that these reports relate specifically to Kerry's personal records, but are more general records)? Shouldn't either a member of the general public or a service member who participated in the March 13 events be able to obtain copies of these reports through an appropriate FOIA type request (unclear to me whether this would be done through the naval historical center or national archives from my brief research online)?

Would a Form 180 request from Kerry (presumably done by his campaign) have even included these After Action Reports as part of his personal records? On a related note, if I'm not mistaken, the Kerry website seems to mischaracterize several "spot reports" as After Action Reports if I'm not mistaken.
gkdechow
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe one of the things learned very early is "he who writes the history, makes the history"
lobster
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Rassmann must have filed some kind of a report because he said he recommended Kerry for a Silver Star.
Reg
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: By his own words, Kerry wrote the After Action Reports Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
This is confirmed by all participating officers on 13 Mar 69 for sure....

OinCs on 13 Mar 69:
PCF 94, 51, 23, 43, 3

When did Don Droz (43) confirm this?
AndrewC
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: By his own words, Kerry wrote the After Action Reports Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
I think we're missing one thing here that just occurred to me. In T of D Kerry claims to have been the CTE (Commander Task Element) on both 28 Feb 69 and 13 Mar 69. AS CTE he would have been responsible for writing the after action reports.

This is confirmed by all participating officers on 13 Mar 69 for sure. Rood is the only remaining officer from 28 Feb 69. And I'll say it again Kerry clearly says he was CTE, therefore he wrote the reports. Slam Dunk (almost)!

The other OinC's did not know the contents of these reports until Tour of Duty was released last winter. Elliott took Kerry at his word and processed award requests. Kerry lied/embellished.

I have been looking at the after action reports on the Kerry website. I am USAF vet and I am familiar with message format, but I do not understand the identity of the message originator as noted in the after action reports.
For instance, the spotrep for the action on 13 Mar 69 was from 194.5.4.4. Does that designate Kerry? If it does, the message DTG is within 20 minutes of all of the casualty reports except for that of Kerry. His casualty report was DTG 140830 Mar 69, 16 hours after all of the other casualty reports. It appears to be from a different source comm center than the others. Can anyone identify that center?
brotherofvietvet
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Kerry Admitting Falsifying Reports Reply with quote

Kerry Admitted Writing Combat Reports in 1971
(CNSNews.com) - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's 1971 testimony to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee reveals that the then anti-war activist admitted to writing many of the battle reports during his four months of combat in Vietnam.
Kerry told the committee on April 22, 1971, "...I can recall often sending in the spot reports which we made after each mission..."
Kerry also said that many in the military had "a tendency to report what they want to report and see what they want to see."
Kerry's comments about the battle reports came in response to a question from then Senator Stuart Symington (D- Mo.), who wondered about the accuracy of information from military sources.
According to the testimony , which is available in the Congressional Record, Sen. Symington asked Kerry, "Mr. Kerry, from your experience in Vietnam do you think it is possible for the President or Congress to get accurate and undistorted information through official military channels.[?]"
Kerry responded, "I had direct experience with that. Senator, I had direct experience with that and I can recall often sending in the spot reports which we made after each mission; and including the GDA, gunfire damage assessments, in which we would say, maybe 15 sampans sunk or whatever it was. And I often read about my own missions in the Stars and Stripes and the very mission we had been on had been doubled in figures and tripled in figures.
Kerry later added, "I also think men in the military, sir, as do men in many other things, have a tendency to report what they want to report and see what they want to see."
The 34-year-old testimony could shed light on the present debate over who wrote key battlefield reports that critics of Kerry say allowed him to win awards.
B. G. Burkett, author of the book Stolen Valor and a military researcher, calls the 1971 testimony "significant."
"What is significant about this is [Kerry] is readily admitting that he often submitted reports and he is implying that he himself exaggerated in those reports," Burkett told CNSNews.com.
"We have no way of knowing specifically which documents Kerry composed; and of the the ones he did compose -- did he in fact exaggerate or outright lie in those reports? That is the issue here," Burkett said.
\tx0
The controversy about who authored the now controversial after-action reports arose earlier this week, when the Washington Post obtained the military records of Larry Thurlow, one of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. Thurlow's military records indicated that enemy fire erupted after Kerry's boat was hit by a mine explosion on March 13, 1969.
Thurlow now insists there was no enemy fire that day. The best selling new book by John O'Neill and Jerome Corsi, Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry, details the groups' critique of Kerry. Kerry has denounced the book and the Swift Boat vets and accused them of being an affiliate of President Bush's re-election campaign.
Thurlow and Kerry were each awarded a Bronze Star for heroism on that 13th day of March. Kerry also received his third Purple Heart as a result of the events of that day.
At the center of the controversy is whether or not there was enemy fire during Kerry's rescue of James Rassmann from the Bay Hap River. Kerry and Rassmann and others say there was enemy fire, while Thurlow and other swift boat veterans insist there was not.
Thurlow's own Bronze Star citation states that there was "enemy small arms and automatic weapons fire" directed at "all units." But Thurlow believes his citation was based on Kerry's own account of the day.
"I am convinced that the language used in my citation ... was language taken directly from John Kerry's report," Thurlow said earlier this week. "John Kerry was the only officer who filed a report describing his version of the incident," Thurlow added.
The Washington Post summed up the controversy this way: "Much of the debate over who is telling the truth boils down to whether the two-page after-action report and other Navy records are accurate or whether they have been embellished by Kerry or someone else."
Burkett believes that Kerry stated the controversy surrounding his war record.
"Kerry thought that he could make a grand presentation of his combat record, and there would be no response, obviously, from the Republicans, considering the lack of military experience on that side of the aisle," Burkett said.
"I think [Kerry] completely misjudged the anger of Vietnam Veterans collectively and their ability to organize and have an answer to John Kerry," he added.
See Related Articles: Kerry 'Unfit to be Commander-in-Chief,' Say Former Military Colleagues (05/03/2004) Kerry Files Complaint With FEC Against Swift Boat Veterans (08/20/2004) Kerry Campaign, Liberal Group Attack Anti-Kerry Book ((08/20/2004) MoveOn Ads OK; Swift Boat Ads Not OK, Kerry Campaign Says (08/20/2004)
E-mail a news tip to Marc Morano.
Send a Letter to the Editor about this article.
Send to a Friend

Stories from CNSNews.com are Copyright © 2004 by the Cybercast News Service.
News Wire Powered by CustomScoop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: