SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam Avoider John Edwards Calls Swiftvets 'Liars'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Vietnam Avoider John Edwards Calls Swiftvets 'Liars' Reply with quote

Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2004 1:00 p.m. EDT

Vice presidential candidate John Edwards, who avoided service in Vietnam, had wisely stayed out of the debate over John Kerry's Vietnam war record - until this past weekend, when he started depicting Swiftboat veterans who have criticized Kerry as "liars."

"They are saying that John Kerry's service in Vietnam was not honorable. That's a lie," Edwards told a town hall meeting in West Virginia on Saturday.

Story Continues Below

On Sunday he repeated the allegation, saying in a conference call to reporters, "First, the claim that John Kerry didn't serve his country honorably is a lie. Second, those attacks are being financed by friends of George Bush."

At a Monday campaign stop in Virginia, Edwards picked up the theme again, charging, "The argument and the claim that John Kerry did not serve this country honorably and proudly and courageously is a lie."

Not a difference of opinion from men who also served honorably in Vietnam. Not a conflicting account. Not a disputed version. But a lie.

Of course, Edwards himself hasn't always been forthright about his own military record - or rather, lack thereof.

In April, NBC "Today Show" host Katie Couric asked him where he was during Vietnam. The exchange went like this:

COURIC: Your military service, before we go?

EDWARDS: I - I did not serve in the military.

COURIC: You had a high lottery number, is that right?

EDWARDS: I did, and I came after - after the time that they were actually drafting from the lottery, Katie. I'm 50 years old. And because at the time I came along and graduated from high school and then - and then went to college, I was not drafted. [END OF EXCERPT]

A high lottery number? Not exactly. Pulling number 178 in the February 1972 Selective Service lottery drawing, Edwards' number was lower than more than half of those picked.

And what about the claim that he "came after the time that they were actually drafting from the lottery."

That's not strictly true either. The year Edwards became eligible for the draft, the military drafted 49,514 men, according to Selective Service records - tapping draftees who had lottery numbers as high as 95. The draft was abolished in July 1973.

But even that year, 646 young men born the same year as Edwards were inducted into the military.

His draft availability aside, Edwards could have enlisted in the military, following the example of the men he now calls liars. Or sign up for the National Guard, the way George Bush did.

John Edwards, however, did neither, enlisting instead in Clemson University, where, according to spokeswoman Jennifer Palmieri, "He had a little fun . . . drinking beer with buddies . . . smoking marijuana a few times."

"His campaign would not provide more specifics other than to say Edwards' occasional marijuana use continued through law school but stopped after that," the Charlotte Observer reported in July.

To at least one Democratic consultant, the failure to serve in Vietnam constitutes a betrayal of America.

"He betrayed them when he didn't fight in Vietnam," Democratic strategist Maryanne Marsh said Monday night on Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes." "When he had a chance to serve his country, he didn't."

Of course, Marsh was talking about George Bush, not John Edwards.

Source Newsmax.com
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Not-so-swift John Edwards Reply with quote

"Not-So-Swift Eddie" is probably channeling the spirit of the Vietnamese guy Kerry shot in the back to verify K's claims.

I understand that was one of "Not-So-Swift" Eddie's special talents in addressing juries during his summation - "I hear the voice of ........"

It seemed to work with juries....
Support Our Troops!
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean he takes back his suggestion to talk to those who served with Kerry if we have any questions about the kind of man he is? Laughing
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least George Bush served in the TANG.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm perfectly willing to give Edwards a pass on not being in the military. At least he didn't make up stories about secret missions with the CIA....

98% (on that close order) of people in the US do NOT serve in the military. Which is fine with me. You got to WANT to do it. If you don't want to be in uniform, I do NOT want you in my military. Edwards realized he wasn't good enough to do an adequate job of defending the country, so he did his best not to. And I'm just fine with that.

As for calling someone a liar, well, those are fightin' words where I come from. And an untrained civilian coming on all macho to a couple hundred military vets with combat experience is just plain stupid. Not what I'd call VP material.

But we knew that already.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vietnam Avoider John Edwards Calls Swiftvets 'Liars' Reply with quote

JK wrote:
Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2004 1:00 p.m. EDT

... "They are saying that John Kerry's service in Vietnam was not honorable. That's a lie," Edwards told a town hall meeting in West Virginia on Saturday.

I think the fact that Edwards did not serve is irrelevant to his opinions.

On the other hand, I do not believe the SwiftVets are saying that John Kerry served dishonorably. I think they are saying that John Kerry served less honorably than he might have had he not grossly exaggerated his claims and then accused the entire U.S. military of being a gang of Fedayeen Uncle Sams.

And they are saying that that these exaggerations and outrageous accusations, done in association with a group that didn't even vet its members for frauds and poseurs, show that in their opinion he is unfit to be the President and Commander in Chief.

FDL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: