SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Bush can not Come out against SwiftVets-its Technical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Why Bush can not Come out against SwiftVets-its Technical Reply with quote

If Bush were to come out against the Swift-Vets on a specific ad, that would mean that on any future ads done by the Swift-Vets, IF he did not again "disapprove" of the Ad, it would be effectively approving that second Ad.

Bush can not give approval or lack of approval to anything related to 527 groups.

Because John Kerry came out against a specific MoveonPAC.org Advertisement, that means that for all others, he approves of them. In this specific case because of Kerry directions as evidence by his comments on their Advertisement, the cable networks reported that MoveonPAC.org changed their Ads to be shown.

Bottom-line, Presidential Candidates CANNOT comment on Swift-vets and any other 527 groups. And that Kerry's Ad specific disapprovals sends a clear message to MoveonPAC.org of what Kerry wants to see and what he does not. Which if not a full legal violation, is a violation of the spirit of McCain's law.
swiftjustice
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard this explanation a few times, but it just doesn't go through. If you look at the wording of the campaign reform law, what it says is that candidates must *approve* a message in order to receive the special consideration that political ads receive--pricing, protection from censorship, etc. There is nothing about *disapproval*, and it is not possible to tacitly approve an ad--the law is very specific about the ways in which approval can be accomplished, and they are all explicit forms of approval.

Bush could denounce the ad. But the real question is--do folks really think he should? Seems like these explanations imply that Bush should if he could...

Thanks for listening.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree

If a campaign disapproves of each Ad they disagree with, there becomes an expectation that Ads they "don't disagree with", are acceptable.

By selectively disapproving you are giving more credence to the 527 and to all the other messages they put out.

Bottomline....527 are independent organizations which campaigns can not control...if they are able to control their output....is a violation of the law
thegunnerswife
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for being naive or missing a previous post on this but help me out.....

Why should President Bush put a stop to these adds and not put a stop to that hideous movie and other crap that Michael Moore is sharing with the world??????
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

integritycounts wrote:
I have to disagree

If a campaign disapproves of each Ad they disagree with, there becomes an expectation that Ads they "don't disagree with", are acceptable.

By selectively disapproving you are giving more credence to the 527 and to all the other messages they put out.

Bottomline....527 are independent organizations which campaigns can not control...if they are able to control their output....is a violation of the law

If that's the case, can Dubya make the statement of disproving of ALL 527 ads and still stay within the spirit and letter of the law?

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand the events of today correctly, the letter from President Bush effectively kicked the ball back into Kerry's court, saying it is his problem.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegunnerswife wrote:
Forgive me for being naive or missing a previous post on this but help me out.....

Why should President Bush put a stop to these adds and not put a stop to that hideous movie and other crap that Michael Moore is sharing with the world??????

Rhetorical question to clarify this matter:

Under what obligation must Bush even comment on these ads?

Short answer:

None.

FDL
thegunnerswife
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is my feeling!
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neverforget wrote:
If I understand the events of today correctly, the letter from President Bush effectively kicked the ball back into Kerry's court, saying it is his problem.

Dubya sent a letter? I know that Cleland was going to deliver a letter from some senators, but I didn't know one was going the other direction...

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
swiftjustice
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="integritycounts"]I have to disagree

Bottomline....527 are independent organizations which campaigns can not control...if they are able to control their output....is a violation of the law[/quote]

i agree, there is an implicit expectation, just not that it is a legal issue. saying it's a good or bad ad isn't legally (under the reform law terms) approving or disapproving, or controlling content and distribution, so there's no legal obstruction. but, yes, definitely, a message is sent.
DEL
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the way I seez it is ; The president (Executive branch) has no authority to silence a citizen. That power rests with the Judicial branch of the government.

It would be an abuse of power and a violation of the separation of authority.

Maybe any elected official using his good office in an attempt to silence an ordinary citizen would be playing a whole new and very dangerous game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: