SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Interesting Story I Heard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwanLady
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: An Interesting Story I Heard Reply with quote

I cannot verify the woman's story. Maybe someone else can. She's a lady I met in the store and we were talking. She says she's 56 years old.

The woman told me she had been a nurse in Nam. She went on to say that there were times when they, the nurses, went into villages and helped injured or otherwise unhealthy civilians living in them, as well as taking care of troops.

She told me that she was in Nam from 67-69. That while there, she never saw our guys do atrocities, but she saw the results of Cong atrocities.

She went on (rather tearfully) to tell me how she came home and, because her roommate (a nursing friend she knew before she left) had the evening shift, she said she would walk home from the Trailways station. Which she did. About 3 blocks from her apt., she was dragged into an alley and raped by "three dirty hippy boys" who kept saying "you like baby killers? We'll give you a baby to kill, baby!"

She did end up pregnant, did not seek an abortion, and her son (age 34) is now serving in the Marines in Iraq. There's a whole lot more to the story, but she told me that she PERSONALLY BLAMES KERRY for her rape all those years ago.

My question: does her story (especially the parts about nurses in the villages) carry any validity?
MikeH
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: you bet it does Reply with quote

Not just our brave nurses and docs and medics, but most US soldiers went out of their way for the locals.

Here's a question, how many folks do you know who could have handled what that woman did? Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. She stayed the course and brought us another hero to save america. God bless her and her son.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her age would fit with the timeline. I was there 69 - 70 and am now 55. I was 20 when there. Everyone I knew there did what they could to help out locals. Our medic was known for treating civilinas out in the field, when he could. Once, we even called in medevac to extract a handful of civilians that were injured seriously in a traffic accident, when their truck drove off the road and flipped over.

She sounds like a very strong willed lady and has shown she has courage to endure well beyond what many of her contemporaries could. If you meet her again, give her a big welcome home and thank you.

Nurses in Vietnam performed tasks no human should be expected to, but they did and they did it admirably.
SwanLady
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I didn't know if nurses ever went "into the field" or not. I know they were in MASH units in Korea and Nam both, but did not know if they ventured out to help locals.

I asked this woman if she was willing to step forward. She said that she would be except, though her son knows the situation regarding his coming into the world, he is presently serving as a Marine in Iraq and she doesn't want to embarass him by going public. She did tell me, however, that she is discouraging people from voting for Kerry because his words directly resulted in her own humiliation upon arrival back home.

I'm wondering how many nurses from Nam have spoken out, does anyone know?
SwanLady
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: you bet it does Reply with quote

MikeH wrote:
Not just our brave nurses and docs and medics, but most US soldiers went out of their way for the locals.

Here's a question, how many folks do you know who could have handled what that woman did? Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. She stayed the course and brought us another hero to save america. God bless her and her son.

I need to make a correction. I had typed her son was 34, he's 33 (sorry for the typo).

In answer to your question I can't think of anyone who is as brave as she. I can't imagine what she went through. She did tell me that, some 3 years after her son was born, she met and married a Navy man. She told him the story, he married her anyway, and raised the child as his own, with no difference between him and the children they subsequently had.

I told her that he (her husband) and her son as well, are also very brave men.
U S Army EOD
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swanlady,

The nurses from Vietnam have a high case of PTSD. I suggest you visit their many websites and read their experiences, you will cry with them.

CO
8th Ord Det (EOD) ROK 68-69
542 Ord Det (EOD) CONUS 70-71
99th Ord Det (EOD) RVN 72-73
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: