SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legal question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Legal question Reply with quote

Out of idle curiosity, just how long is the statute of limitations for treason? Anybody out there know?
thegunnerswife
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to look into it for you. So far the consensus is that there isn't one.
republicanveteran
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a lawyer, but since treason is punishable by the death penalty. I don't believe there is one
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Next question Reply with quote

If there is no statute of limitations for treason, can ordinary citizens bring charges of treason against someone? Something like a citizen's arrest? Or, like a class-action kind of thing?
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Next question Reply with quote

Nomorelies wrote:
If there is no statute of limitations for treason, can ordinary citizens bring charges of treason against someone? Something like a citizen's arrest? Or, like a class-action kind of thing?

Unfortunately, I belive only the government can bring such charges and politically that's just not going to happen.
thegunnerswife
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there is something in the Constitution that would clarify. I am reading that there is a part of it that speaks of treason. I'll go see what I can find.
thegunnerswife
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article III

Section 1. The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behaviour, and shall, at stated times, receive for their services, a compensation, which shall not be diminished during their continuance in office.

Section 2. The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, the laws of the United States, and treaties made, or which shall be made, under their authority;--to all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls;--to all cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction;--to controversies to which the United States shall be a party;--to controversies between two or more states;--between a state and citizens of another state;--between citizens of different states;--between citizens of the same state claiming lands under grants of different states, and between a state, or the citizens thereof, and foreign states, citizens or subjects.

In all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, and those in which a state shall be party, the Supreme Court shall have original jurisdiction. In all the other cases before mentioned, the Supreme Court shall have appellate jurisdiction, both as to law and fact, with such exceptions, and under such regulations as the Congress shall make.

The trial of all crimes, except in cases of impeachment, shall be by jury; and such trial shall be held in the state where the said crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any state, the trial shall be at such place or places as the Congress may by law have directed.

Section 3. Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the punishment of treason, but no attainder of treason shall work corruption of blood, or forfeiture except during the life of the person attainted.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articleiii.html#section3
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good site on constitutional law you may find it there.

http://www.constitution.org/
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a double edged sword. While there is no statue of limitations for treason, just like murder, it requires two witnesses to be prosecuted, unlike murder. Treason is not at all an easy charge to prove in a court of law. It really doesn't matter what you and I think, when it comes to treason, what matters is what can be proven in court.
EODARMY
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: UCMJ, Article 104, Aiding the enemy Reply with quote

Kerry would fall under the UCMJ, Article 104, Aiding the enemy. His little trip to Paris.

Any person who--
(1) aids, or attempts to aid, the enemy with arms, ammunition, supplies, money, or other things; or
(2) without proper authority, knowingly harbors or protects or gives intelligence to or communicates or corresponds with or holds any intercourse with the enemy, either directly or indirectly;
shall suffer death or such other punishment as a court-martial or military commission may direct.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's precisely what I had in mind.
thegunnerswife
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, I'm glad!

Come up with some more good questions. I love looking stuff up!!! I learn so much. I have learn ALOT since registering on this site. I love it!!! AND YES - I WILL BE DONATING come pay day! Smile
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: UCMJ, Article 104, Aiding the enemy Reply with quote

EODARMY wrote:
Kerry would fall under the UCMJ, Article 104, Aiding the enemy. His little trip to Paris.

Any person who--
(1) aids, or attempts to aid, the enemy with arms, ammunition, supplies, money, or other things; or
(2) without proper authority, knowingly harbors or protects or gives intelligence to or communicates or corresponds with or holds any intercourse with the enemy, either directly or indirectly;
shall suffer death or such other punishment as a court-martial or military commission may direct.

Yes, that is a relevant part of UCMJ. From what I understand, though, Kerry was in the Reserves at the time. When a Reserve member, even an officer, is off duty and out of uniform he/she is not under all of the same constraints. There is some gray area here. That's probably why charges were never brought.

Don't get me wrong here...I'm not saying that he didn't commit treason. I'm just saying that the Atty. General's office might have thought they only had a 50-50 chance and didn't think it was worth the political mess.
gilliam
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: UCMJ, Article 104, Aiding the enemy Reply with quote

ArmyWife wrote:
EODARMY wrote:

Any person who--

Yes, that is a relevant part of UCMJ. From what I understand, though, Kerry was in the Reserves at the time. When a Reserve member, even an officer, is off duty and out of uniform he/she is not under all of the same constraints. There is some gray area here. That's probably why charges were never brought.

Don't get me wrong here...I'm not saying that he didn't commit treason. I'm just saying that the Atty. General's office might have thought they only had a 50-50 chance and didn't think it was worth the political mess.

Gee in the pictures I see of him making speeches and at the Senate, he was in some kind of uniform.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the issue of his being in the military (or not) applies. The fact that he made the little trip to Paris to broker a surrender with agents of the enemy during wartime was serious. And, since it is a matter of public record it would be easy enough to find two witnessess. The only thing that may not be known is what transpired and I suspect the CIA has a very good idea what was said, to whom and where.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: