SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOOKING for any Swift Boat Repairmen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: LOOKING for any Swift Boat Repairmen Reply with quote

Any boat mechanics out there or anyone know of any? I need some expert opinion on Sen. Kerry's PCF damage report.

Reply to this post or PM me if you fit this description.
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Hetherton here, ET1 Cam Ranh Bay, NSF, April 68-Dec 69. I was supervisor on pier crew. Although I was an ET, we all pitched in for repairs if needed. The only real damage structuraly that I remember was one boat,#?, that we had to replace the forward starboard bow and replace some ribs. If I remember, most of the guys was not really up on aluminum welding, but got the job done. We tacked on a plate and bent it to fit with heat and clamps. Another boat took round of some kind and took out the radar display unit(Decca 202 ?), which I pieced back together. I helped pull quite a few engines, just as a grunt. I don,t know for sure what kind of information you are looking for?
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the deal Jack, I am looking for someone who could provide some expert opinion on some listed boat damage by Kerry as shown in this report: Damage Report

This report was written on March 14 and the boat returned to patrol on March 18. Three questions:

1) Could the damage listed be repaired that fast (3 days)?

2) Would this boat have to be dry docked for repairs?

3) Could this boat tow another swift boat with this listed damage?

What do you make of the damage report?
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be the 94 boat report. A day or two before the infamous mine incident, the 94 boat had the windows blown out. As a commercial fishing boat builder for the past 30 years, I can tell you that, curled and cracked props (screws) is common when running aground and as I understand from other reports, Kerry ran aground frequently. Curling the blades tips would still leave the ability for it to tow the 3 boat. It would be great to find a report showing "PCF 3" on the report. Could the FOI Act get the PCF 3’s reports for March 13-18?
geotilman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Swift Boat Repairman Reply with quote

Bandit we need to know what the name of the Mothership was my Brother's Brother-in law was an HT 1 on USS Satyr (ARL-23) that's what they did but there was hundreds of boats and I don't know how many mother ships but I do know Barges & repair ships up in I Corp were not patriclar on what we worked on all Boats had a prioirty over simple PMS esp. if it concerned Security of Base and Coastal Patrol.
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenisC wrote:
That could be the 94 boat report. A day or two before the infamous mine incident, the 94 boat had the windows blown out. As a commercial fishing boat builder for the past 30 years, I can tell you that, curled and cracked props (screws) is common when running aground and as I understand from other reports, Kerry ran aground frequently. Curling the blades tips would still leave the ability for it to tow the 3 boat. It would be great to find a report showing "PCF 3" on the report. Could the FOI Act get the PCF 3’s reports for March 13-18?

But you are ignoring the engines damage as evidenced by the mention of RPMs reduction. Running aground does not explain the other damage. Also the report said it was unable to perform market patrol. If this damage was done the day before, what it is doing on patrol the next day without repairs? The hull number matches the PCF-94. PCF-3 was so badly damaged it never returned for the year. This CASEREP is page two of two, which means page one is the damage report for the PCF-3....Kerry said in his market spot report that damage reports were to follow.

It cannot be spinned, this report is intentionally for the PCF-94.
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit, Trust me on this, RPM reduction could mean clogged fuel filter, line (rope) on the prop, bent props, loose throttle linkage, or 100 other causes. No spin, I’m on your side, but the person writing up the report (Kerry?) could be BS’ing and what is reported, is not going to keep it out of service, if it is needed badly enough.

Curled props (screws) only means that it can not run full speed with out a lot of vibration. Let’s just assume they are Detroit’s, then 2,350 RPM would be full power. Curled props would prevent them reaching full RPM. The boat would run OK at slow speeds, but start to shake over idle. Blown out windows, aft steering station “INOP”, don’t stop it from being put into service.
Paul5388
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familar with this type of report, but the "ETR" is 181230Z Mar 69, which makes it look like a 4 day repair job.

The glaring omission, to me, is the lack of punctures/holes and dents/dings in the hull and superstructure.

The equipment that was inop was mostly unrelated, i.e. the radio and the bilge pump have nothing to do with each other nor does the Onan. The Onan wasn't operating, but that was only for 120 VAC and had nothing to do with anything else except the general lighting, cook stove and the reefer. The AN/VRC-46 was an FM radio that should have been used mostly for short range communications. Drop in rpm on a Detroit Diesel could have come from partially stopped up fuel filters/injectors or restricted air filters/intakes. These engines aren't a whole lot different than the Detroit Diesels used in M113 APC's and M577 Command Vehicles. Full specifications for Swift Boats are listed here.

The report seems to read like PCF 94 was just abused and no preventative maintenance was done.

I probably should clarify "These engines aren't a whole lot different". The principles of operation are essentially the same. I think all Detroit Diesels of that era were 2 cycle engines, so components were similar, but not necessarily identical. The Swift Boat engines were twice the horsepower of the M113A1 and the M113A1 only had one 6 cylinder engine vs two 12 cylinder engines in the Swift Boat. It only takes fuel, air and compression to make them run, if everything is hooked up! Smile

www.usslittlerock.com

Last edited by Paul5388 on Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
geotilman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Swiftboat repair Reply with quote

That is the way it looks to me under action report for the #3 boat states 94 boat received shrapnel & AK 47 holes in bow I don't know who made report.All PCF's MK1 & MK2 had(2)12V71N Deteroit 's
scraper3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the Onan required to run the radar?
Paul5388
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem the 24 V alternators are part of the Detroit Diesel system and is completely independent of the Onan. As long as an engine was capable of running and/or the batteries were charged, you had 24 volts.

Quote:
24 volt batteries provided the main source of electrical power, including main engine starting, general purpose lighting, search lights, navigational lights, radar and the URC-58 radio (alternate mode). There were two (2) 24 volt battery banks, each charged by its own alternator. The port bank was a standby 24 volt supply, while the starboard bank was used for general boat power. In an emergency, these banks could be put in a parallel mode configuration, to ensure operation of vital equipment.

www.usslittlerock.com

Last edited by Paul5388 on Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way these boats worked was, they went out on patrol, they got shot up, things broke but they could see run, they came back from patrol, and they went in to be repaired. If you read Joe Muharsky's website, you'll discover that he was the radarman on the 94 boat crew that was out when Kerry's was in for R&R, but on 6 Mar 69 they were using the 5 boat because the 94 wasn't available. It was common for boats to lose a day or two for repairs after they'd been shot up pretty good.

Yes, the Onan ran the radar, and you can read frequent complaints about the radar not working.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:
Yes, the Onan ran the radar, and you can read
frequent complaints about the radar not working.

Wrong!

The Decca radar was operated off of the 24 VDC bus of the boat.

The Onan AC generator was used only for the reefer/freezer and the HF radio

Check it out at Swift Boat Specifications under the section Electronics

In fact, many of the crews in the later years (69-70) went for weeks with
the Onan inoperable: Hot sodas, cold C-rations and no Voice of America

And the Decca was very reliable in my experience.

But not very useful or critical in a 75 yard wide klong during the day.

Been there done that ....

rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
Three questions:

1) Could the damage listed be repaired that fast (3 days)?

Yes. If it was located at a major base such as An Thoi. From the LST? No

2) Would this boat have to be dry docked for repairs?

Only to change out the screws (propellors). Depending on the severity,
the boat could be operated for days/weeks with curled props

3) Could this boat tow another swift boat with this listed damage?

Not only could it .... it actually did according to everyone there

What do you make of the damage report?

Notification to the repair faciltiy at An Thoi of "squawks" Similar to "write
ups" on an aircraft returning from a flight. "Need to be fixed items" but
nothing in the "un-airworthy category." And not necessarily as a result of
the previous days activity ... ie how long had these deficiencies existed?

ie The boat was "hampered" but "seaworthy" with its weapons operable.

See above concerning the damaged propellers

The after helm was used for going alonside other vessels and docking.
Altho prefferable from this position, perfoming these functions from the
pilot house was not only possible but frequently accomplished.

The frozen radar was not dibilitating. They were conducting daytime ops
in narrow rivers and canals where the radar was not critical.

Lack of an Onan generator was almost standard about that time.

There were two 24 VDC busses and two bilge pumps. ie alternatives

However, with the number of deficiencies reported, there was justification
for sending the boat to An Thoi (or Cat Lo) under its own power for repair.

PS: That's four. You snuck that last one in there just to be persnickidy!

Last edited by rbshirley on Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul5388
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Shirley obviously has the benefit of experience on his side, whereas, I have just been guessing from the specs posted on http://swiftboats.net/extras/boat_specifications.htm.
Quote:
Decca D202 (X-band, 3cm) surface search radar, maximum range scale of 24 miles, with fixed range rings and a relative bearing presentation. Range discrimination was 30 yards, on the 1.5 mile scale, with a bearing accuracy of 1 degree. Maximum detection range of a small wooden junk was 3 miles, with an estimated 90% detection of small junks at 1 mile. In average sea conditions, a 90% detection rate, for steel hulled trawlers, could be assumed at 5 miles. Power consumption was 200 watts DC only.

Had I been a little more diligent in my reading, I would have noted the last sentence quoted above.

In the 42 year interval between FT "A" school and the present, I have forgotten several things about DC motors. Rolling Eyes

www.usslittlerock.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: