SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long before the election can SBVFT ads run?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markasass
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: How long before the election can SBVFT ads run? Reply with quote

I just heard that all 527s must cease-and-desist from broadcasting 60 days before Election Day? Is this true? I've contributed $200 so far in order to facilitate more ads. Is this money not going to be able to be utilized? Maybe I have misunderstood McCain-Feingold? Thank you, in advance, for educating a SBVFT newbie.
Integrity
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Swift Vets don't take corporate contributions and can advertise straight up to the election. Moron,org is a registered APC and can also advertise right up to the election.
markasass
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to repeat myself, but 35 people have looked at my question so far, and still no response. Any "experts" out there that can help me out, please? And when responding, can you also explain why Bill O'Reilly, Max Cleland, and Chris Matthews are allowable topic posts, while my topic post concerning John McCain's attack on the SBVFTs, and a hyperlink to a Vietnam Veteran's open letter to John McCain, was deleted? I had accepted an explanation from a Moderator (Scott and then Kate) explaining that we need to keep the focus on John Kerry and the SBVFT (I thought mine did, as it focused on John McCain's attack on SBVFTs and a veteran's response to him on behalf of other veterans, including SBVFTs), but I've seen new topics pop up that have had nothing to do with John Kerry since my topic post was deleted. Has John McCain's attorney's joined the "Band of Brownshirt" attorneys Kerry has hired? Has this forum been threatened by John McCain's minions? I really don't understand this, but only desire to follow the acceptable rules-and-regulations, as long as they are not arbitrary, capricious, and/or hit-or-miss. Bottom-line, though, is my support for the SBVFTs and I will continue to donate, as long as my money is going to be used past 02 Sep 04 in some way, shape, form, or manner.
markasass
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Integrity"]The Swift Vets don't take corporate contributions and can advertise straight up to the election. Moron,org is a registered APC and can also advertise right up to the election.[/quote]

Thank you, Integrity. I appreciate your assistance. My donations will keep coming (as soon as I'm paid again, that is). Very Happy
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiftvet is not a corporation nor does it accept corporate or union contributions therefore it can advertise up to and including 02 Nov 04.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markasass wrote:
Sorry to repeat myself, but 35 people have looked at my question so far, and still no response.

Come on, give us some time to coordinate with the people upstairs! Wink

We're working on this - and putting out a dozen other brushfires at the same time. Give us a break, eh?

One of us WILL get to you when we know something solid to tell you. The boss is on the phone with the PTB as we speak.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry to repeat myself, but 35 people have looked at my question so far, and still no response. Any "experts" out there that can help me out, please?

There are a lot of very bright and helpful people here. Most of the brightest know that if you don't know the answer, keep your fingers quiet.

Better to remain silent and thought a fool than post and remove all doubt.

There are several people who DO know the correct answer, and they will respond in the fullness of time. Have patience.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
markasass
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sincere, genuine, and heartfelt apologies to everyone for my insensitive and obnoxious impatience. Please keep up the great work. The time, money, and effort you are investing in this site is much appreciated, as is the service of all the veterans contributing to SBVFT. I stand chastised, humbly accept my trip to the woodshed, and will keep my big yap shut, and my ears open, from now on. Sorry.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink You're cool, markasass ....no need to be abject... just a little more patience - we've got it about nailed down.

We are allowing discussion of Max Cleland's activities today - there is a rather large thread about it.

So far (knock on wood) it is the theatrics that are being criticized - not the veteran.

We are not out to smear anyone here - we are just trying to promote the truth about John Kerry.

To that end, we try to keep the discussions focused on events as they relate to John Kerry's activities.

Thanks, Wink
markasass
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy: Gotcha. Thanks. Over-and-out.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My sincere, genuine, and heartfelt apologies to everyone for my insensitive and obnoxious impatience. Please keep up the great work. The time, money, and effort you are investing in this site is much appreciated, as is the service of all the veterans contributing to SBVFT. I stand chastised, humbly accept my trip to the woodshed, and will keep my big yap shut, and my ears open, from now on. Sorry.

Man overboard!

Seriously, don't take it too personally. You might want to play with the SEARCH function at the top of the page. Many MANY subjects have been discussed, disassembled, examined, and put back together here the past couple of weeks. There's NO WAY you can know it all, but, if you poke around, you can learn an awful lot. There are some very high-power analysts in this crew.

And if you have a question, ask it. Can't hurt. If you are on-topic, and play nice, the worse that can happen is you get chastised.

I suggest you read at least the first page of every topic, starting at the beginning. You can quickly see where the duplicate threads are, and you can skip them, generally. Eventually, you will start to see the patterns, and the posters you respect and admire, and you can chase their posts down.

That should keep you occupied for a couple of hours. By then, you'll not only know the right questions, you'll know who is most likely to have the correct answer.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: How long before the election can SBVFT ads run? Reply with quote

Depends on the source of funds I believe that if they are small donations from individuals the 527 can run the ad up to election day. This may be an achilles heel for Kerry who I assume receives large donations from the Hollywood elite, corporate America, foundations, etc.

There are also different types of 527s, Federal and State.

JK
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is McCain-Feingold was just plain bad legislation.

It was easier when we just had the 1st Amendment, and people were pretty much allowed to say anything they wanted.

The distortion and contortions and legal hocus-pocus have done NOTHING to curb campaign financing. All it has done is mire it in a morass of regulation that is subject to interpretation.

So far, the generally accepted interpretation is that liberal 527s are "good" and conservative 527s are "evil".

Why am I not surprized?
markasass
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, cipher and JK. I appreciate your help.
Frogg
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markasass, it is possible your Open letter to McCain topic may have been a duplicate. There is another topic line of that title currently on the bottom of page 1. But, the topics get posted so quickly it will move fast.
Here is the link:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5415
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: