SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Six Gun Sam
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Medals Reply with quote

I am a first time poster so I thought I would begin with my Background.

I was Honorably discharged from the US Army in late August of 1975 after a 3 year active duty enlistment. My MOS (occupational specialty) was a 05-D-40 "Direction Finder" and I served in the Army Security Agency. I voluntarily enlisted as a 18 year old in September. of 1972 and volunteered for duty in South East Asia. I was stationed at the 7th Radio Research Station at Nong Soogn Thailand (about 20 km from Udorn, Thailand) from Sept. 1973 to Sept. 1974.

A little insite as to why I volunteered

My father was a Korean War era Vet but never stationed in Korea.

I had three Uncles that were World War II Veterans, two on my fathers side and one on my Mothers side. One Uncle was a Pearl Harbor Vet who was on a Cruiser in Pearl on December 7th 1941. Another Uncle served in the 3rd Army and was shot and severly injured in France in 1944. The third Uncle was an Army MP who was shot and lost a lung outside of Berlin Germany two months after VE day. All three of my Uncles survived World War II and lived to know their Grandchildren. All three of my Uncles were highly decorated and hero's to me.

John Wayne was and still is a hero to me.

I am a amatuer U.S. Military History buff.

About John Kerry and Medals

When I arrived at my duty station in Thailand in 1973, during "In-processing", I was informed that as of a week before I arrived, the VSM and the Expeditionary Medals would no longer be issued to me nor other incoming Americans because of Political reasons. (The United States was "offically" no longer sending Troops into SouthEast Asia)

I understood, reckognized, and experienced the domestic Politics of Military Service at the time but was origianlly hurt and disappointed about the Medals. As it turned out, I was fortunately never in combat. Considering the service and sacrafice of those who were in combat, I did not deserve or earn those Medals. I did and do, however, hold those Medals and others awarded U.S. Veterans of War as sacred symbols of indiviual honor and sacrafice.

Whether I am right or wrong, to me, the notion that someone who defaced and dishonored the very symbols of all Veterans who served in Vietnam could eventually become a United States Senator is disheartening and disgusting. To add insult to injury, now I find out how John Kerry received other Badges of Honor such as the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star based on self inflicted, superficial wounds and fabricated reports.

Maybe Medals are too big a thing to me but I find what John Kerry did to receive his medals, what he did with his medals, and how he has used those medals for political gain to be as offensive, anti-Veteran, and anti-American as anything I could imagine.

I've known Liberals and Democrats were anti-American for quite some time but I also believe in Democracy and Freedom of Speech and am sworn to protect and defend the Constitution that gives them the right to politically try to subvert and dilute that very Constitution and the principals it was founded on.

I am having a extremely hard time dealing with the notion that John Kerry could one day be the President of the United States. I'm afraid it would literally crush the faith I still have in the American People.

I will actively work to see John Kerry is never President of the United States and only regret I don't have greater resources to add to that cause.
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about looking at it another way six gun...

Medals represent service in some capacity. Even by being there you've served. Ribbons, devices and badges all mean something too. Regardless of your "salad" you've done your part if you're wearing them.

Here's the part that ticks me off. John Kerry served, earning the VSM, CAR, etc. for being there. OK, but then he earns a Silver Star, Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts. Now to me, that should distinguish you. So you can tear apart the actions and his awards and find that John Kerry isn't in the same league as the other gentlemen who wear those honors and it's easy to see that he isn't. But think of this......

John Kerry supposedly threw those honors over a fence demonstrating his disgust for them. Then if he's to be believed, he threw someone else's medals over the fence. So he either is proud of them or not...because he kept them he clearly considers them a source of pride. But if he threw out someone else's then he's actually denouncing the service of everybody who wore those medals, but not his.

I'll give John Kerry the benefit of the doubt and say he lied and threw his own as to not discredit the service of all who wore them, then he was disgusted with his own service right? It seems once again that John Kerry was looking to have it both ways.

Either scenario is bad. He either threw his own (and denounced his service, whereby he cannot believe he's a "hero") or he threw someone else's (and considered his medals "superior" to those who also wore the same medals). It adds up as he has been photographed with a "V" device on his Silver Star. His Silver Star means more I guess. A Silver Star is only awarded for valor.

I can't even discuss it anymore, he's one sick puppy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: