SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need info - John O'Neill in hospital, JK deferment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweeney
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Need info - John O'Neill in hospital, JK deferment? Reply with quote

Newbie here, and daughter of a Korean era Vet, now deceased in Feb of this year.

Forgive me if I'm in the wrong area, but I have two small questions I'm curious about and I can't seem to find the answers, though I've been crusing around the site for a couple of hours now.

If you could help me please:

1. When was it that Mr. O'Neill said that as he was lying in bed recovering from giving his wife (I think it was his wife) a kidney, he saw John Kerry on the television and saw the picture of him with the other Swift vets that angered him. I can't seem to find the reference. Was it some time during the primaries?

2. I see mention of the John Kerry "enlisted in the Navy when he couldn't get a deferrment" story, but I can't find the origin. How did that one come to light? Did someone find a document somewhere? Or did someone come forward with a story from back in the day?

Sorry for being a goof. Thanks for any help.

Sweeney
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard sweeney. Let me suggest that you edit your topic title to better reflect your message content. You'll get a better response that way than simply labeling it "greetings". Also, query's of this type would do much better in our "Resources & Research" forum.
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Sweeney,

I'm sorry I don't have the book with me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure those answers are in "Unfit For Command" (if you can find a copy!)

SOTG
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in Feb. of this year when John donated his kidney to his wife Monica. Around that time C-Span re-aired the 1971 debate on The Dick Cavett Show between John and Kerry. The C-Span moderator called John during breaks, to comment. Shortly thereafter Roy Hoffman called Mr. O`Neill with orders John had heard many times in the past, " the time has come and we must take action." This time to expose John Kerry and Douglas Brinkley for their lies and distortions in Brinkley`s book, Tour of Duty.
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings Reply with quote

Sweeney wrote:
Newbie here, and daughter of a Korean era Vet, now deceased in Feb of this year.

2. I see mention of the John Kerry "enlisted in the Navy when he couldn't get a deferrment" story, but I can't find the origin. How did that one come to light? Did someone find a document somewhere? Or did someone come forward with a story from back in the day?

That information is from Kerry himself during interviews when he first ran for congress (The Crimson Tide is referenced in Unfit to Command). Back then, Kerry was running as a Dove. Presumably, and these are my words obviously and not Kerry's, it would have have not been as advantageous then as it is now to say that you volunteered by your own volition for the Naval Reserve. Yes, the Naval Reserve, a much shorter assignment and far less likely to see combat.

There is nothing wrong with joining the Naval Reserve. There is nothing wrong with that at all. There is nothing wrong with knowing that you're about to get drafted and enlisting in the Navy instead of say, the Army, a branch far more likely to see combat.

Both actions are honorable choices.

The problem is, Kerry, as he is apt to do, lies about these things to make himself look better. He lies about these things to deflect criticism. He lies about these things as if there was something wrong with them.

I think you would find, to a man (or woman), that if it was just the events themselves, the people on this board, the people giving money, and the Swiftboat Vets themselves, would not be here and fighting as they are. I don't think anyone would be too impressed with Kerry, but I don't think they would have put their lives on hold to do what they're doing.

It is Kerry's lies, time and time again. His lies in the after action reports, his lies about his wounds, his lies in his personal journal (which started almost immediately after his arrival. How bizarre is that?), his lies about how he found his way into combat, his lies about what he saw there, his lies about whether he threw away his ribbons, his lies about his "heroism", his lies about his anti-war activities, his lies about who wrote that speech to the senate, his lies about meeting the North Vietnamese in France... My God How I could go on!

But most of all, it was the lies about the men he served with. Up and down the chain of command. It was those lies to the world about what kind of men Kerry served with that brought so many people together. Lies that, not coincidentally, were the foundation of that young man's political career.

His "Band of Brothers" were spit on, tortured, killed in disgrace, and treated like the unwanted step-children of a nation while John Kerry danced his way up the political ladder and onward to Washington. These events are not isolated. They were born from the same action. Kerry helped one to happen, so he could do the other.

And while in Washington, Kerry's lies about Vietnam and the men he served with were once again placed into the congressional record. This time, as Senator Kerry from Massachusetts.

I do not see how we could not, in good conscious, do everything we could to prevent that man from becoming the next President of the United States.

... I may have over-answered your question. Sorry.

It was the Crimson Tide in an interview in 1970.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
Gradyman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need info - John O'Neill in hospital, JK deferment? Reply with quote

Sweeney wrote:

Forgive me if I'm in the wrong area, but I have two small questions I'm curious about and I can't seem to find the answers, though I've been crusing around the site for a couple of hours now.

If you could help me please:

1. When was it that Mr. O'Neill said that as he was lying in bed recovering from giving his wife (I think it was his wife) a kidney, he saw John Kerry on the television and saw the picture of him with the other Swift vets that angered him. I can't seem to find the reference. Was it some time during the primaries?

Sorry for being a goof. Thanks for any help.

Sweeney

John Kerry did seek a defferment..... Here is the partial story and link to entire article..

Revealed: how 'war hero' Kerry tried to put off Vietnam military duty

Senator John Kerry, the presumed Democratic presidential candidate who is trading on his Vietnam war record to campaign against President George W Bush, tried to defer his military service for a year, according to a newly rediscovered article in a Harvard University newspaper.

He wrote to his local recruitment board seeking permission to spend a further 12 months studying in Paris, after completing his degree course at Yale University in the mid-1960s.

The revelation appears to undercut Sen Kerry's carefully-cultivated image as a man who willingly served his country in a dangerous war - in supposed contrast to President Bush, who served in the Texas National Guard and thus avoided being sent to Vietnam.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/03/07/wkerr07.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/03/07/ixnewstop.html
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Kerry deferment article Reply with quote

Sweeney,

Welcome aboard. I'm new also! I found article on Kerry deferment; it's not actual proof... someone will have to dig in Kerry service records... probably another reason he won't release them!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/03/07/wkerr07.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/03/07/ixnewstop.html

If this addr doesn't work for you, please let me know.

Stevie
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deferment would be logical - 4 times since it would have been the 4 years in college (the deferment being reviewed each year to see if he was actually still in school). I believe its been posted elsewhere that the 5th deferment was denied since he was looking at graduation.

My cousin did the same thing, got deferments so he could snag his degree. Afterwards he joined, was commissioned and served a tour. When he tried to go back, he was denied due to medical reasons ('71 or 72 I believe). He died 5 days after I enlisted in '76.

I don't fault Kerry for seeking deferments, he had already stated he was against the war. What I do fault is that his campaign tried to use the same tactic against several republicans.

About the only real job I can see for John Kerry at this point is the filler for Big Bird. Of course it would have to be a solo engagement since I would never trust him around children.
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard another person defend Kerry by saying he volunteered for duty tonight and that that was really what was important here. I always want someone to call them on it, but I can practically hear the return righteous indignation.

It seems so petty to call him on this. I just wish he hadn't made such a big deal about it. Why put us in this position where we have to make the distinction between those who volunteered, those who reluctantly volunteered to get more choices, and those who were drafted? Why force us to do that?

The only difference is when someone claims to be one when they really were the other. This guy really puts me through a lot of unnecessary emotions - I can only wonder what he does the Swift Vets.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: