SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple citations an effort to obtain replacement medals?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coatandthai
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Multiple citations an effort to obtain replacement medals? Reply with quote

Kerry sought and received multiple citations (Zumwalt, Hyland and Lehman) for his medals, which many have speculated was his political-climbing way of "trading up" on the prestige of the author. But maybe he needed to obtain replacement medals for the ones he tossed (but now denies he tossed) over the fence.

Is a new medal issued with a new citations? Or can a replacement medal be easily obtained?
Twidget
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you do not need/get a new citation for a replacement medal.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all but the MoH (and generally speaking, the Crosses and neck orders (such as the Knight Commander of the Legion of Merit)), you can buy them at the PX. No certificate needs to be "reissued" or "rewritten". The only circumstance I can think of to get a replacement certificate is loss of the original Navy records, which does not seem likely. That he has (at least copies of) all three versions means that the originals were not lost.

My personal opinion is that he was "fluffing", as each successive iteration was more embellished than the previous. And it is consistent with his propensity for serial, ah, exaggeration.

Oh, and each signature is from a higher ranking member of the military establishment. It's much more prestigious to have the Secretary of the Navy sign your ticket than a local area commander. I suppose the theory is that your actions were noticed by persons of more significance.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, however, it is my considered opinion that Kerry is a bit narcissistic.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92

Last edited by cipher on Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
oasis
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

coatandthai aked

Quote:
Or can a replacement medal be easily obtained?

Quote:
Veterans are also entitled to one replacement medal if it was lost.

Pentagon: Purple Hearts ordered for veterans, not Kosovo conflict

Please donate to the.. RED CROSS
depotoo
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet Lehman said on Fox & Friends this morning that that is why he had the new citation signed by him - I wondered about what he was saying since i had heard that a new citation is not issued for replacement. He looked a little uptight when asked about it.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regulation is for a gratuitous issue (not in the bad sense of the word, although, in Kerry's case, it applies. In the military sense, it means "Issued free of charge")

If you lose one through negligence or attrition, one replacement is authorized. If, in the performance of your duty, it is required that you wear your medals constantly (as in the Honor Guard of the Old Guard), you can get replacements by turning in the unservicable one.

In all other cases, you end up paying for it out of your pocket.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
MarineBrat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple citations an effort to obtain replacement medal Reply with quote

coatandthai wrote:
Is a new medal issued with a new citations? Or can a replacement medal be easily obtained?

You can go here and buy whatever you like. They'll even put all of your ribbons in the right order and block them up for you.

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/

Which brings up a thought I've had for some time now.... new thread coming re medals..

MarineBrat
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple citations an effort to obtain replacement medal Reply with quote

coatandthai wrote:
But maybe he needed to obtain replacement medals for the ones he tossed (but now denies he tossed) over the fence.

Here's an article by kerry sycophant Oliphant on the medal throwing. quite telling... he didn't need replacements..

Watched Kerry Throw Decorations

(Admin - fixed your long link)
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now I know for at least Army Awards you only need provide somne Identifying Information and they will send you all the Awards and Qualification Badges you were authorised, free of charge.
I can not see three different versions resulting from him having requested a new Citation, they would have been reproduced from the original.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: