SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Author of the March 1969 Spot Report?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trifona
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Kerry Author of the March 1969 Spot Report? Reply with quote

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/SpotReports_March1969.pdf

Someone is claiming that Kerry did not write this actual report. Where in the report is the evidence to show that EFF'n was indeed the author?

I know there were 5 boats out that day, the OIC of the 3 dies, and the other three OIC's are against Kerry.

Any help?
CERDIP
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that it makes no mention of Rassmann at all, even though it details several people with injuries (including Kerry).
Curmudgeon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: What does "ETR" mean? Reply with quote

Note line “CHARLIE:” on page 9 of that file. I suspect “ETR” probably means “Estimated Time to/of Repair.” If not, what does it mean? It could also mean “Estimated Time Received.” Now, notice the date/time on that line. It appears to say 1200Z on 13Mar69 (131200 MAR69). If you look closer, however, you can see that someone has used a pen to alter the date. If you look at how a “3” is made by that typewriter/teletype, the apparent “3” in this line is not original. Now look at how the “8” is made by this machine. Note that the left side of that numeral is light, and the right side is identical to the shape of the “3” in the date. And, someone has added a mark to darken the top and make it look like a “3.” I find this curious, and wonder if it was done to make it look like official Navy records confirm serious damage to PCF 94 on March 13, 1969. Since the date of the transmission was 14 Mar 69, I am leaning toward the “Repair” rather than “Received” meaning of ETR, can someone confirm that?

Regards,

Dave

-
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifona,

Take a look at the analysis of NavyChief here in this thread. It is VERY detailed, well documented, and thought out.

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4331&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
trifona
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navychief nailed it.....further verified with a google search of 194.5.4.4/1.

Great work guys!!
Ragnar
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trifona,

Note that the report is written from the perspective of PCF-94 (Kerry's boat) There is no mention, for example, of Thurlow's boat coming to the aid of PCF-3 or retrieving personnel from the river. It is not mentioned because Kerry's boat was not there when it happened -- he was speeding away from what he thought was an ambush.

The only logical interpretation is that the information in the report was supplied by someone on Kerry's boat.

Be sure to see the link that ORD33 suggested.

CERDIP:

Rassmann is referred to as "MSF advisor who went overboard". He's not mentioned among the wounded because I don't believe he was wounded.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What does "ETR" mean? Reply with quote

[quote="Curmudgeon"]Note line “CHARLIE:” on page 9 of that file. I suspect “ETR” probably means “Estimated Time to/of Repair.” If not, what does it mean? It could also mean “Estimated Time Received.” Now, notice the date/time on that line. It appears to say 1200Z on 13Mar69 (131200 MAR69). If you look closer, however, you can see that someone has used a pen to alter the date. If you look at how a “3” is made by that typewriter/teletype, the apparent “3” in this line is not original. Now look at how the “8” is made by this machine. Note that the left side of that numeral is light, and the right side is identical to the shape of the “3” in the date. And, someone has added a mark to darken the top and make it look like a “3.” I find this curious, and wonder if it was done to make it look like official Navy records confirm serious damage to PCF 94 on March 13, 1969. Since the date of the transmission was 14 Mar 69, I am leaning toward the “Repair” rather than “Received” meaning of ETR, can someone confirm that?

The ETR is "Estimated Time to Repair". Someone looked at the boat and gave an estimate for its repair. The repairs were scheduled to take place at AN THOI where the USS KRISHNA was anchored. She was a repair ship. Although repairs could have also be effected at the repair base itself. Not clear since there is no actual repair message.

Don't worry about the 8 and the 3. These are "hits" that messages take all the time when transmitted. I know it looks funky but when you've sent, received, and looked at as many messages as I have for the past 20 years, you get used to it. The messages will have bad spacing and typos constantly; you have to be careful with it.

Kerry as the Officer in Charge of this boat would have been the person to draft this message and have it sent out.

- instigator
Curmudgeon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chief,

But did you actually look at the page? That mark over the 8 to make it look like a three wasn’t made by the machine. Not to worry, there are much larger fabrications to pursue.

Regards,

Dave

-
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curmudgeon wrote:
Thanks Chief,

But did you actually look at the page? That mark over the 8 to make it look like a three wasn’t made by the machine. Not to worry, there are much larger fabrications to pursue.

Regards,

Dave

-

I have a printed copy of it and I'm looking at it. It looks like a valid typo. Are you looking at it from a printed copy?

- instigator
Curmudgeon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, here:

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/SpotReports_March1969.pdf

It is the last page of this pdf file.

Regards,

Dave
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curm....I think it is an 8. The reason why it doesn't look like an altered 3 to me is because if you look at the other 3's, they have a tail on the bottom that is not consistent with the formation of the 8. JMHO.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
bergstrom79
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm reading pg 9 of the spot report correctly, the 94 boat of kerry's did indeed sustain damage from a possible explosion. Main cabin windows blown out? It backs up kerry and rassmann on the "2nd mine" story....am I wrong here? I'm looking at the Wapo graphic from last week, nowhere do I see another event that could do that kind of damage.

Help, anyone?
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bergstrom79 wrote:
If I'm reading pg 9 of the spot report correctly, the 94 boat of kerry's did indeed sustain damage from a possible explosion. Main cabin windows blown out? It backs up kerry and rassmann on the "2nd mine" story....am I wrong here? I'm looking at the Wapo graphic from last week, nowhere do I see another event that could do that kind of damage.

Help, anyone?

PCF 94 was damaged by rocket fire the previous day. Kerry talks about it in his book. The water splashing over the bow into the pilot house.

The SPOT REPORT is specific in that it says a mine detonated under PCF-3. Observed heavy black smoke. Observed at same time boats received heavy A/W and S/A from both banks. Fire continued for about 5000 meters. Two other explosions observed. All boats and Mobile Strike Force returned fire and attempted assist PCF 3. PCF 94 picked up Mobile Strike Force advisor (RASSMANN) who went overboard. blah blah blah. Sorry, but it goes on and on. Anytime some says, "Observed" this, Observed that - it means their opinion is. Kerry didn't state facts about two other mines, nor did he state facts about the boats receiving fire from both banks. Mines are normally accompanied with coordinates. Kerry says the gauntlet went for 3.1 miles away from the fight and then he mentions, "two other mines observed". Of course, it was "observed" only Kerry could see them - no one else did.

Kerry's boat did not have a mine explode anywhere near it. If it did then the damage report you are reading would have crush damage and a mine would have shredded pieces of shrapnel which would have torn the aluminum hull fairly easy. At a minimum Sailors would have likely caught a lot of shrapnel. But no one caught shrapnel and the boat only shows damage consistent with running over a floating log or a sandbar. Kerry got his shrapnel earlier in the day by blowing up rice - so did Rassmann who is believed to have also received a Purple Heart for the incident.

- instigator
bergstrom79
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, Chief.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: