SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So Brinkley now says....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sun Tzu
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: So Brinkley now says.... Reply with quote

...they weren't in Cambodia.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40110-2004Aug27.html

"I'm under the impression that they were near the Cambodian border," said Brinkley, in the interview. So Kerry's statement about being in Cambodia at Christmas "is obviously wrong," he said. "It's a mongrel phrase he should never have uttered. I stick to my story."
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick his story somewhere also.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Brinkley is realizing that he's sacrificing all his credibility.
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is so delicious about this is that Brinkley is beginning to understand what the Swift vets felt when they read his book -- how Kerry will lie and then attack those who recall differently. Now it is Brinkley who is facing that the campaign (i.e., Meehan) is saying that he is wrong and Kerry *was* in Cambodia on Christman.

Et tu, Dougie?
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will always remember the moment I saw Brinkley's book, "Tour of Duty," prominently displayed at a Vietnam memorial.

Calling Kerry's reiterated statements of being in Cambodia on Christmas '68 while using that statement to affect U.S. foreign policy a "mongrel phrase" means what? Of mixed origin, meaning that it was from all Kerry's trips into Cambodia is the only thing I can think of. Somehow that exonerates them both?
Beldar
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on Brinkley's latest comments is entitled, "With friends like Doug Brinkley, does John Kerry need enemies?"

http://www.beldar.org/beldarblog/2004/08/with_friends_li.html
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"It's a mongrel phrase

That's too much Laughing Laughing Laughing

Orwell could have used that term in some of his books.

Zell Miller
The Cyber Menace
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else find it a bit of a coincidence that a biography comes out focusing on Kerry's military service right before Kerry starts to use it as a campaign theme in his run for the presidency?

I don't think I buy this idea that Brinkley is a completely independent academic who just happened to convince Kerry on the merits of having a book published about his war record. Heck, Kerry talks about it while doing his business in public washrooms.

And Brinkley as a centrist? Please. I have listened to him speak on numerous occasions and, as is usually the case when people call themselves that, it's hard to believe he has any time for conservatives or right-wingers. And he does write a book which nicely fits into the image leftists now want to have of Kerry in this election cycle - that he's a true war hero more qualified to be president than that AWOL ex-drunk who stole the elction in 2000.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beldar wrote:
My take on Brinkley's latest comments is entitled, "With friends like Doug Brinkley, does John Kerry need enemies?"

Brinkley was and is Hitler's Goebbels! Nuff Said!
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beldar wrote:

Thanks to the links on your blog, I just now found out about Kerry's imaginary flying dog, "VC". That's the best laugh I've had in a while. Laughing

For those that don't know the story:

Thoughtsonline
note: URL changed to hypertext

Poor Brinkley is going to have a lot of work to do on the "New, Revised Edition" of Tour of Duty.
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should put the dog in for a silver cross with a "V" since the pooch had to put up with kerry.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the name of the dog in Apocolypse Now?
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
The Cyber Menace
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on Brinkley from the Weekly Standard

Quote:
Douglas Brinkley Reports for Duty

Here's how "presidential historian" Douglas Brinkley figures it: Various factual inaccuracies and contradictions in Tour of Duty, his famously sycophantic biography of John Kerry, are frequently cited by opponents of Kerry's presidential campaign. On the other hand, the sycophantic parts of the book are just as frequently cited by Kerry's friends. In other words, both parties find his work useful. And what better proof of his academic objectivity and integrity could there be than that?

So, nah, Brinkley's "not worried" about appearing biased, he tells the New Orleans Times-Picayune in a "wide-ranging interview in the soaring lobby of his Uptown home" published August 27. Sure, he says, "I'm sympathetic to Kerry in his 20s." And "it's no secret I think he would make a first-rate president." And, okay, Brinkley's "angry" about "false accusations made against Kerry's military record." Also, Brinkley cohosted a fundraiser for Kerry in February 2003. Plus which, he spoke at a rally for Kerry in New Orleans this past March. . .

But, hell, "I'm not a partisan" or anything, he points out. "I don't have some ax to grind against President Bush. I try to be judicial."

A judicial activist, you might call him.

Item the first: The good professor is happy to help the New York Times prepare a front-page August 20 story reporting that the unflattering accounts of John Kerry's Vietnam career being offered by Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are "riddled with inconsistencies." The story's authors find especially useful in this context a

previously unpublished interview with Kerry's Vietnam-era commander conducted by "Mr. Kerry's authorized biographer, Douglas Brinkley," and "provided by Mr. Brinkley to the New York Times."

Item the second: Two days later, a much more comprehensive and therefore persuasive story on the same subject appears in the Washington Post, which concludes that "both sides have withheld information from the public record and provided an incomplete, and sometimes inaccurate, picture of what took place" in Vietnam. The Post explicitly fingers Brinkley as a major source of this confusion. Which makes it all the more unfortunate that Brinkley "did not reply to messages left with his office, publisher and cell phone."

Item the third: The day after the Post story runs, reporter Michael Dobbs chats with visitors to the paper's website and reveals that "I have not heard back from Prof. Brinkley since I began raising questions about the inconsistencies/factual errors in his book."

Item the fourth: Mere hours later, a smiling Douglas Brinkley shows up on MSNBC's Hardball, where he reassures host Chris Matthews that John Kerry "showed courage time and again." And "I find it disgusting that people are discussing whether he earned his first Purple Heart. . . . This is a right-wing August takedown on John Kerry, and rumors, accusations, innuendos [are] flying." Alas, "that's just how gutter politics is played sometimes in America."

Item the fifth: Despite all the gutter politics--a subject Prof. Brinkley is familiar with only by dint of his scholarly research, you understand--some people have behaved beautifully, he reminds MSNBC's Deborah Norville two days later (last Thursday). For instance: "The New York Times coverage has been superb."

Robert Cooper
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he spoke French and Mongrel very fluently!

Biggest Hoax in American History involves Kerry -

READ: http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6129
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cipher wrote:
Does anyone remember the name of the dog in Apocolypse Now?

I am not positive but I think he belonged to one of the Flying Wallenda's.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: