SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jungle Expert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LubyStarling
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Jungle Expert Reply with quote

After pulling 4 years in the Marines stateside, I want you all to know some of you were so dumb, you had to go to Nam 3 or 4 times to learn your way around in the jungle. Me, I did better than Bush or Kerry, After the Marines, I went into the FLARNG here in central florida and flew down to Panama and came back 2 weeks later a bonefide jungle expert. Mr's Bush or Kerry don't have that badge of honor. Just kidding folks. I thought the Army Special Forces Jungle School was pretty neat though. That doesn't make you a combat expert. I was a very good radar tech and crew chief though, almost Marine of the Month for the 2nd MAW once.
And all because I joined the marines to dodge the draft, not quiet in the same manner or for the same reasons as the dodgers who fled to Canada. LC
bagpiper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Lottery number Reply with quote

Well, luby, at least you JOINED! So did I. BTW, what was your lottery number? Mine was, 1....

DM Lambert
ex-SP4 '72-'75
LubyStarling
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Lottery number? Reply with quote

I must have been in the twenties as I was scheduled to get my draft letter the next month so, I volunteered and got it done> LC
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad, guys. I figured I had a good chance of missing the draft in early 1969, since they had talked about the lottery coming in and I was already in my 20s. No such luck, got my induction notice in mid-January, went down and enlisted instead, to "get the job of my choice" and avoid Vietnam, as my Captain cousin had said I should.

Asked for aircraft maintenance, was sent to helicopter school and ended up in Vietnam late June of 1969. Thanked my cousin for the advice when he was shipped over a few months later, LOL.
Hans Burkhardt
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was tied up to the dock in Da Nang when I read my lottery number was #1. Heck we could start a #1 club here. Good thing I joined the Coast Guard to beat the draft (lol).
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was running Marines up the Dong Ha River near the DMZ in 1966 when I recieved my draft notice. Guess I dodged the draft because I never reported to my draft board.
xcorpsman-usn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined the navy to see the world and they sent me to the marines.. Shocked
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember my number, but I do recall coming back from Des Moines after getting my physical and signing my papers and finding a draft notice in my mailbox. I guess I missed being a ground pounder by a day or so.

I enlisted on the 120-day delay program. Signed up for ET school and a six year hitch. Went to boot camp two days after burying my cousin, Donald, who was killed in Nam. Now that was a sobering time.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The draft board was so screwed up I got my notice to report during my second tour in country. I got my commanding officer to write them that he wasn't giving his permission for me to go home in order to report. I had to complete my tour before reporting. I wonder how often guys got their notice while in a combat zone.
Tad Belknap
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from the President of the United States of America: Very Happy

This thread got me thinking about those times ...I was April 7 which was lottery # 147....I reported to the Coral Cables,Fl........AFEES station, 23 July 1970

heres the first lottery data....

http://www.landscaper.net/draft.htm#How's%20your%20"Luck%20of%20the%20Draw"?
LubyStarling
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcorpsman-usn wrote:
I joined the navy to see the world and they sent me to the marines.. Shocked
And you got to see and mingle with the best in the world LC
jmckcay8497
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Draft Notice in Basic Reply with quote

I was in basic training (Jan 66) when I got my draft notice, had flunked out of college(real smart), knew I was going to get drafted, and enlisted. Wrote draft board and asked If they could get me a leave granted to come home for a few days. Never heard back from them.
LubyStarling
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Vets that volunteered Reply with quote

Folks, we might have stayed stateside but, I bet nobodies fought harder for the viet vets than us volunteers. When our society started attacking you as baby killers,etc., we started attacking the world using the power of the pen for our states, our country, for displaced vets, for our state and nations future, for our Lord.
I have written all over and got way too many plastic letters back from politicians with plastic smiles. I guess those smiles are supposed to make the worlds problems go away because those people won't do anything that might rock the boat (freeride) even if they know it's in the best interest of America.
Now, it's that liberal segment of our society thats baby killers as too many vets have been denied any decent semblance of a wife and family life and thus had their babies murdered for "caring" about family and friends enough to put our own lives and liberty at risk. LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: