SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original Donation to Current Donations Ratio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Original Donation to Current Donations Ratio Reply with quote

Perhaps minor among all the tasks that the SBVT leader folks have on their list, but worth mentioning. It might be helpful to provide some data on the donations received to date that highlight the number and average dollar amounts especially relative to the original donation that is frequently mentioned by MSM. As a retired banker, $100,000 is chump change... no, not to me Surprised but in the arena of political or philanthropic giving, it's not a large amount for those who have it to give for something they believe in.

One of the first things I researched when checkin' y'all out (a little) was getting some idea of this original "seed money" donation in relation to additional funds raised. It makes perfect sense to me to call this "seed money" -- it takes money to raise money to raise awareness. With every dollar donated, that original donation decreases as a percentage of the total and also serves to reduce the average amount given per donor, both good (additional) reasons for folks to give any amount they can in support.

Some sound bites or talking points might also be helpful, such as "yes, it's true that xxx gave us $xxx to get started, but we have raised $xxx from xxx supporters since then." or "that original donation allowed us to get the word out, it's now only x% of the total we've raised" Many ways to say it. Don't know if it's worth a press release, but might be included in one... may be already?

Just some money thoughts, important but not top of the list!

Kat
Integrity
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. In the realm of philanthropic giving what would be considered a good ratio ? If you were checking the Vets out today with an eye towards donating what would you like to see ?
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question! I didn't do a lot of digging, but saw enough references at this site and in various articles to believe it was under 10% and probably closer to 5% when I first donated. To me, that said the seed money did it's job. Don't know if there are any rules, but I'd say that when no single donation exceeds 1% of the total, you truly have a grassroots effort. I'd probably find ways to value the volunteer effort that's evident here, too, though that's very squishy. Don't want to "bean count it to death" but there are ways to show broad support and that's the goal, really.
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers given last week by Sean McCabe (spokesman), were 32,000 donations totalling just over $2 million, an average of $63.

See http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aNh8USc1vs6E&refer=us

Also note that per IRS records, the "big" donation of $100,000 came June 30, well after SBVT founding and well after the May 4 press conference. So it was not "seed money" for the group, but money to help get their message out after the presser was completely ignored.
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for correcting me Bill. I might still see it as seed money for the big push, but it's important that it was "invested" into a going concern. Anyways, I remain impressed with what these folks have done on a shoestring and how they have and continue to leverage the money. The second benefit to a donor, after knowing the money is going to a worthy cause, is seeing the money work.

hmmm, another bit of data that might be interesting is how many folks have given more than once... It looks to be a significant amount from reading posts.

Kat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: