SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, are they interchangeable?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: So, are they interchangeable? Reply with quote

I do not know the answer to this question, so I ask you vets. Kerry maintains that medals and ribbons are interchangeable. I was told that one can can always get new ribbons but one is given only one medal.

Anyone who knows please advise.

Thanks!
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the site, they seem to have any award ever presented to anyone, any time, for sale.
http://www.usmedals.com/medals.html?s=navy&p=all

Is this what you meant? Wink
drjohn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief- can anyone buy these?

I am dumbfounded. I was thinking more or less in terms of what the Service awards you, but....gee.... Confused
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Kerry cover-up. They are not "interchangeable." Any fool that has been in the military knows that.

When you receive an award like the Silver Star, you receive the actual medal itself, a ribbon to match the ribbon on the award to be worn as a "symbol" of the actual award on your uniforms, and a lapel pin that matches the ribbon on the medal itself.

No one would ever mistake the medal itself for the ribbon symbolizing the medal that you wear on your uniform.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. John:

When I was in the service (72-76) all medals and ribbons were available for sale in the local PX/BX. Putting them on your uniform, if you were not authorized to wear them, was where the problem would occur. I bought some ribbons myself (for extra uniforms, saves you from moving them around, which is a pain). I didn't need to show any paperwork to buy them, and I was wearing jungle fatigues at the time with no visible awards.
Also, Kerry is a Congressman with an office a mile or so from the Pentagon. I'm quite sure you can get any medal/ribbon you are looking for by sending a note or calling the Pentagon under those conditions. Does that make sense?
drjohn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So someone can just go and buy a MOH?

I appreciate your input. It is helping a lot.

Thus, in theory Kerry could throw away all his stuff and still buy more- yes?
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean MOH, that's one I'm not sure about. I saw them available, though.
drjohn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to presume that when one says that he threw his MEDALS away that that is precisely what he meant. Otherwise one might say "I threw my symbols away" or "I threw my ribbons away."

Especially when one says it over and over.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Kerry threw over the fence, I can buy from home over the Internet. (Thanks for changing your post from MOE to MOH and making me look like an idiot, by the way Laughing )
drjohn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sir.

You know what we need?

An emoticon that salutes.
drjohn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Everything Kerry threw over the fence, I can buy from home over the Internet. (Thanks for changing your post from MOE to MOH and making me look like an idiot, by the way Laughing )

Are you kidding? You got it right, not me!

I had to scramble to change it. Laughing Embarassed
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just kidding, buddy. Hey, the ONE award not available on that medal site is the MOH. I think you need paperwork to get that one, even from the Pentagon. It's a pretty involved award and your name is on a MOH list, etc.
http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/airforib.shtml
BB Stacker
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribbons and medals are interchangeable to this extent. Both represent an award. The thing that matters is the award, which is the acknowledgement of some type of meritorious service. This could be a group award or an individual award.

A medal is a physical representation of the award. And as medals tend to be somewhat bulky to wear on one's chest, (especially when there is a lot of them to wear), another smaller version of the award is the ribbon which represents both the medal and the award.

So I see them as interchangeable. If one throws ones ribbons over the fence, one is throwing away the awards they represent, which is the only thing that really matters.
W.P. Wily
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
When I was in the service (72-76) all medals and ribbons were available for sale in the local PX/BX. Putting them on your uniform, if you were not authorized to wear them, was where the problem would occur. I bought some ribbons myself (for extra uniforms, saves you from moving them around, which is a pain). I didn't need to show any paperwork to buy them, and I was wearing jungle fatigues at the time with no visible awards.

A buddy of mine, a Silver and Bronze Star recipient, had an officer go through his papers once when he was coming home on leave to check if he really was awarded the medals he was wearing ribbons for. Seems like early on, some guys were buying a few extra ribbons in the PX to "sweeten up" their uniform when they went home on leave. Confused
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I was saying, you could purchase anything you wanted in the PX/BX on the 'honor system", but if you placed anything not authorized on your uniform, you would most likely get caught, and they didn't consider it a joke. I don't know anyone who actually did it, but I could have easily gotten myself a few Air Medals, a Silver Star and some general's stars if I had wanted. I bought a complete set of ribbons for a second uniform, no questions asked. Kerry's story about having to fill out replacement paperwork just to receive the medals is total BS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: