SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about 13 Mar 69 SPOT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Question about 13 Mar 69 SPOT Reply with quote

Don't anyone dare call me a troll for asking this question Evil or Very Mad

One thing that has been bothering me about the 13 Mar 69 SPOT REPORT. If it can be taken as partially true to the events, I must ask why after the Spotter Aircraft came into the area, the Regional Forces/Popular Forces at CAI NUOC fired the 4.2 mortar after boats cleared. A secondary explosion was noted at WQ 010782. The casualty reports later report all wounded at 1530 hours at WQ 010780 - mine incident.

So, after the boats cleared the area, RF/PF forces CAI NUOC fired the 4.2 mortar and a secondary explosion noted near the mine incident.

What gives? Was this normal procedure after a mine incident? Were there indications of enemy close to the area? Were they supressing fire?

AGAIN: Don't call me a Troll!

- instigator

Last edited by NavyChief on Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:56 am; edited 2 times in total
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you answered your own question
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that happened my guess would be that they blew up another mine maybe that they discovered. It would make sense that they would use that sort of means rather than risk injury to a boat and the men. That would also explain a secondary explosion. Rule of thumb is if you find one booby trap expect many more. They probably just destroyed another one that they found so another boat would not hit it at a later date. Semper Fi.
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My underlstanding is the the mine that exploded was triggered by a person not by contact with the boat. I would guess that they were simply trying to kill or flush out the trigger man any any other VC that might have been with him.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The report states 1 VC detained by Army Advisors. It's not clear if this was the guy who detonated the mine or not.

- instigator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: