SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apologies.... I'm not a vet, but this forum is very moving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamanut_aj
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Apologies.... I'm not a vet, but this forum is very moving Reply with quote

I appreciate the candid posts and the honesty, anguish and pride exhibited here.

Unfortunately, I was not fit to serve and was turned down by the USMC. Such is life.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamanut, serving in the military isn't everything. Having your heart behind the troops counts for a lot. Even some who served never were sent to Vietnam.
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways to serve your country including educating yourself and making an informed decision when you exercise your right to vote in November. That in itself is more than many will do.

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a vet, I think this needs to be said. Not everyone is called to serve in the military. Some serve as teachers, others as public servants. Some choose the military. Some serve on jury duty. Some serve as witnesses to the greatness of this country through their hard work, dedication and success.

While the military deserves our praise, admiration and thankfulness for their service, please don't elevate us above a dedicated citizen who takes their duty as a citizen seriously. At least not too high above. Wink
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: whats important Reply with quote

You cant always do what you want, Its in your heart. Too many gave so much, but as a way of saying thank you , there might be something else you can do. I cant help you there but trust me, when you get it ,youll know it!
bamanut_aj
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should clarify. At 18, I had stress fractures in my shins which would have prevented me from any extended humps, much less with a pack on. Last year, at 30, I went to the National Guard to see what I could do. After much prayer and discussion with my wife and family, I opted to pass.

But I agree with all of your assertions that service to country can come in forms other than military service. There is so much that all of us can do! First and foremost is to VOTE!!
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone close to you in age (39) I think it is important to point out that I never think anything one way or the other about my peers with regards to whether they were in the miltary (in fact most were not, for obvious reasons). We grew up with an all volunteer force, and whether someone in our generation chooses to join the military means very little to me and doesn't say anything about their character.

I have two sons, and to be honest, I mixed feeling about them joining the military someday. For me it was a way to get to college and see the world. For them - I've worked hard to provide more opportunity than I had and hopefully, they will have other ways to go to college and see the world. Don't get me wrong - I would be very proud of them if they chose to serve in the Miltary (Navy I would hope...), but in today's society, there are many other ways to serve and I will be just as proud of them if they vote (hopefully Republican), participate in their community and work hard at raising a family and doing whatever it is they love (hopefully making boat loads of money in the process so I can come live in the guest house at their estate....Very Happy )

On the other hand...those who did serve in the military and try to make it out to be something it was not - deserve nothing but scorn. From me....AND from you. Veterans have no monopoly on honor.

USN 1983-1992
Ed Tedesco
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys,
I like the first post have never served---missed the draft by a few short years(from my perspective-whoee-close call).i sure did not want to go where you fellows were. i have friends who were there---knew one guy for six years (he was front lines) before he ever talked about it to me. [Removed by Admin] well good luck to you vets
ed

This forum was designed to facilitate the discussion of the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth strong conviction that John Kerry is unfit to serve as Commander-In-Chief.

If your defense of John Kerry can only be couched in rhetoric denigrating the fitness of another candidate, or within issues unrelated to our conviction, then we suggest that you find another venue for that expression.

Thank you

buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I feel so good when someone just thanks me and shakes my hand. The feeling I get for being appreciated for my sacrifice makes it all worthwhile. I am sure 99 percent of vets feel the same, God bless you!
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope Ed is voting for Nader then, remember anyone but a traitor.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulls eye Lew!! Semper Fi brother.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To teach is Noble, to Vote is a right, to stand jury is a duty. To serve in our armed forces is Honorable, they can't be compared in any way. That is why our discharges are classified as Honorable. If you can read thank a teacher, if you can read in English thank a Veteran. We however welcome our civillian land lubbers to join us in our cause for freedom, which I might add is a stake right now. I respect and Honor those that have gone before me and bled for my freedoms, as I hope those come after me will respect and Honor me for my sacrifices. If you chose not to serve that is your choice, if you served for education benefits you entered service for the wrong reasons but you are still Honorable. I don't need a Silver Star, or anyother award to prove my service or to be a hero of sorts, all I need is to see our Constitution alive and well and that is my Medal of Honor. I took an Oath that is a life long commitment to defend that Constitution and so help me God I will, all of us Vets took that Oath. It is something that most civillians do not understand but that is okay. Some of you don't see that the Oath we took has us standing tall here today as warriors again to defend that peice of paper that we hold dear to our hearts. A lot of Americans don't even know what it say's or stands for. Some teachers abuse it to teach imorality to our kid's. Some Judge's distort the letter and intent for immorale agenda's. But us Veteran's understand exactly what it say's and means. It is being challenged and threatened here today. Stand tall with us in our quest, but please don't marginalize military service as just something that we did. We are not hero's as some profess, we are Patriots that have served to ensure that yours and our freedoms are protected forever. Many young men and women will serve and are serving, they are carrying the torch to the future. From the inception of this country our military has won your freedom and that fight will continue forever. I don't want any glory or thanks for what I gave voluntarily, I want people to know why we are free, and it sure wasn't any teacher that got us here. Semper Fi.
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4life wrote:
If you can read thank a teacher, if you can read in English thank a Veteran.

Now there's a thought.... Very Happy

USN 1983-1992
m_drummond
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never served - I had a deferrment, then pulled a "lucky" number.

Yes, there's lots of ways to serve your country, but there's none as noble or honorable as serving in the military - as I've come to realize with age. My family has never discussed things related to the military. In spite of having a father and 6 uncles that served in WWII. Two brother-in-laws who went to Nam and went career. Numerous cousins that served in Desert Storm, Afghanistan, and recently Iraq. None ever talk about it, in stark contrast to Kerry. They were just doing their duty.

You can possibly image my shock (in light of the above), but probably not my extreme pride when my youngest enlisted in the Army. No, I've never mentioned how proud I was. Afterall, he was just doing what he saw as his duty.

It never ceases to amaze me. In spite of all the anti-military and anti-American propaganda our culture constantly drowns us with, where do all these patriots come from?

I fully support the SwiftVets' objective in exposing Kerry as Unfit. I closely hold another objective, however. I yearn for the day, that I hear from an overwhelming majority - welcome home vets, from a grateful and contrite nation.
________
Marijuana Dispensaries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: