SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry's three Silver Star citations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Kerry's three Silver Star citations Reply with quote

A small group of us have been researching Kerry's record for some time now over at "Bandit's Hideout". Today, a side by side comparison of the three versions of Kerry's Silver Star citations reveals some very telling changes in the citations. It's too complex for me to summarize here, so read through it yourself. Then you can judge whether or not Kerry's citations were deliberately changed over the years. (I know what I think.)

There's speculation (at that site) that Wade Sanders, who was and is a good buddy of Kerry's, may be behind the last version, which was done while he was working as the Undersecretary of the Navy for Reserve Affairs. Time and more research may justify that speculation.
Maggie1
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an observation for what it's worth -

Check out Sec Lehman's signature on the Silver Star citation and his signature in the front of the 9/11 Comission Report.

Will the real John Lehman please sign in!
ARW3A
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bronze Star recommendation found at Kerry's site list the Silver Star action date as March 6, 1969.

What's the consensus on this? A typo/clerical error?
DerbyRed
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Another angle on jfk’s SS citations Reply with quote

I’ve been looking for someone to take on the “Authority Line”-issue for awarding certain levels of medals. I know I was well into my second enlistment before I really began to appreciate the “value” of medals as far as promotion/assignment opportunities. We always had to take into consideration how far up the chain the award recommendations had to go for approval. The further a recommendation had to go the more it had to “walk-on-water.” This particularly applied to “administrative service” awards vs. heroism/gallantry awards (although there certainly were instances of “inflated narratives” for both). So, in my experience, it seemed as though we were operating with a sort of matrix that incorporated a bunch of elements (rank, position, length of tour, type of write-up [i.e., end-of-tour, impact, etc.], and level of authority for approval). Jfk’s SS citation deal just doesn’t fit any template I’ve ever heard . . . maybe someone out there can clear this up. Anyway, here’re some linked up analyses on this issue from “The American Spectator”: > > > GBA/cul/dmm

WINNING THE SILVER [http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=7059 (Item #2)] (040901)

Re: The Washington Prowler's “Citation Enhancement” [http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=7045] (040830)
and Reader Mail's “Medal Mettle:” [http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=7051] (040831)

Letter writer Michael McLaughlin writes, "I doubt, in any event, that the final approval authority for (Kerry's) Silver Stars had to go to SECNAV for approval." Mr. McLaughlin's comment is probably not true because the current Navy Awards manual (section 113, Para 3) requires that Silver Stars be awarded by the Secretary of the Navy in the name of the President. If that was the case with the 1969-era Navy Awards Manual (and I believe it would have been as a result of the backlash to the bogus Silver Star awarded by General MacArthur to Lt. Commander/Congressman Lyndon Johnson during WWII) then neither Admiral Zumwalt nor Admiral Hyland had authority to issue a Silver Star to Lt (J.G) Kerry. In that case, the validity of the Silver Star having been correctly awarded in the first place is brought into doubt.

-- Charles Ryan
Seattle, Washington
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time, Zumwalt had pressed CINCPAC to pass the authority to award down to him in theater. That's why version 1 of the citation was signed by Zummie. Version 2 was signed by Hyland who was CINCPAC at the time of signing. Version 3 was purportedly signed years later by Lehman which he denies claiming it may have been signed by auto-pen.
Dane
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is to find a copy of the 1650.1 that was current AT THAT TIME and determine the delegated award authorities. The first revision signed by Hyland occurred after Zumwalt left to become CNO. The second revision came many years later when Zumwalt and Hyland were long gone.

In any case, a legitimate change to a citation comes only as a result of a request. These requests would be on file.

Dane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: