SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zell Miller: Kerry Putting Soldiers in Danger

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Zell Miller: Kerry Putting Soldiers in Danger Reply with quote

Miller Raps Democrats, Calls Kerry Wobbly
NewsMax Wires
Thursday, Sept. 2, 2004 NEW YORK -- In a den of Republicans, Democratic Sen. Zell Miller asserted Wednesday that Senate colleague John Kerry's indecisive ways would encourage terrorists and weaken the country's defenses.

"George Bush wants to grab terrorists by the throat and not let them go to get a better grip," the Georgia senator said. "From John Kerry, they get a 'yes-no-maybe' bowl of mush that can only encourage our enemies and confuse our friends."

Miller delivered the keynote Republican address, a resounding denunciation of Kerry and the Democratic Party to which he has belonged for half a century. He enthusiastically endorsed President Bush's re-election.

"I have knocked on the door of this man's soul and found someone home, a God-fearing man with a good heart and a spine of tempered steel," Miller said. "The man I trust to protect my most precious possession: my family."

Still, Miller says he has no plans to become a Republican -- he's not seeking re-election -- and says his vote for Bush will be his first for a Republican in 52 years as a voter.

Miller gave the Democratic keynote address 12 years earlier in the same Madison Square Garden, and his colleagues were scathing in their anger -- calling him a turncoat and organizing protests at his office.

Miller, meanwhile, was scathing in his criticism of fellow Democrat Kerry. He said no one had been "more wrong, more loudly, more often."

"For more than 20 years, on every one of the great issues of freedom and security, John Kerry has been more wrong, more weak and more wobbly than any other national figure," Miller said. "As a war protester, Kerry blamed our military. As a senator, he voted to weaken our military."

Miller, D-Ga., said Kerry had voted to cut key weapon systems. "This is a man who wants to be the commander in chief of our U.S. armed forces? U.S. forces armed with what? Spitballs?" Miller said.

In those remarks, Miller ignored the cuts in military spending that Vice President Dick Cheney pushed as defense secretary under the first President Bush. Cheney canceled the Navy F-14D Tomcat fighter and sent Congress a budget that proposed curtailing production of the B-2.

Sneers at Concensus

He sneered at Kerry's proposal that the United States seek consensus before going to war, with the United Nations and other nations. "Kerry would let Paris decide when America needs defending. I want Bush to decide," Miller said.

Miller, a former Marine, also accused the Democrats of putting soldiers in danger just to get at Bush.

"While young Americans are dying in the sands of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan, our nation is being torn apart and made weaker because of the Democrats' manic obsession to bring down our commander in chief," he said.

Miller said he's standing with Bush.

"I ask which leader it is today that has the vision, the willpower, and yes, the backbone to best protect my family?" he said. "The clear answer to that question has placed me in this hall with you tonight. For my family is more important than my party."

This comes from the same Southern Democrat who in 1992 told the Democratic National Convention that President George H.W. Bush "doesn't get it" and that 12 years of Republicans in the White House "have robbed us of our hope."

But Miller said the current President Bush is the right man for the future.

"Right now the world cannot afford an indecisive America," Miller said. "... In this hour of danger our president has had the courage to stand up."

Republicans hoped Miller's speech would convince undecided voters and maybe some conservative Democrats that Kerry is too liberal for them. Miller has consistently sided with the Republicans on just about every issue during his Senate career.

Miller was known more for his progressive politics while Georgia governor -- instituting a statewide lottery to provide free college tuition to all students with "B" averages and leading a failed attempt to remove the Confederate fighting banner from the state flag.

He insists that he hasn't changed, but the Democratic Party has.

Democrats, meanwhile, revived old nicknames like "zigzag Zell." Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., called his speaking to the GOP "a shame and a disgrace."

"During the time I served with Zell Miller, he never once offered a suggestion as to what we might do from a policy standpoint, all he did was cast votes for the other side," New Jersey Sen. Frank Lautenberg said Wednesday. "They could count on him every single time. He hasn't brought anything to the Democratic agenda."

Republicans, however, have treated Miller like a rock star this week. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, another Georgian, pointed to Miller as proof that the Democrats were not an inclusive party.

"You ought to go talk to the Kerry campaign about why it is that the only pro-life Democrat to speak at a national convention this year is Zell Miller, and he wasn't in Boston," Gingrich said.

© 2004 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Editor's note:
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JK..please copy/paste to ongoing Zell Miller topic here:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7170
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: