SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VFW/American Legion Support
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry M
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: VFW/American Legion Support Reply with quote

When I brought up the idea of creating a coalition, I was not trying to suggest that several organizations merge together with the Swiftees. I was suggesting that there be more coordination where it makes sense to have a greater impact. For example, calling into question Kerry's account of his service in Vietnam could not have been done credibly by anyone but the Swiftees. On the other hand, his testimony calling us all war criminals and the impact his propaganda had on the POW's are subjects a variety of organizations could legitemately comment on. That is the phase we should be entering now and the more that speak with a common voice the better.

Some have asked if the VFW or American Legion would get involved. The following is an email I sent to the VFW concerning Kerry as well as their reply. The reply comes first. I also spoke at length to Jerry Newberry, their Communication Director. The bottom line is don't expect any support from the VFW or possibly the American Legion. I have quit my VFW membership as a result of their attitiude about this issue. If they can't take a stand against a traitor, they are not worth belonging to in my view.

Begins here:

The VFW has a long-standing tradition of inviting the sitting president to address our convention. We want to know where he stands on veterans’ affairs, and we want those remarks made in public and on the record. During an election year the invitation is extended to both candidates.

When both candidates appear, it provides VFW delegates the opportunity to listen to each man’s position regarding entitlements, national defense and the current state of the military. The VFW does not endorse a candidate for President. The VFW-PAC gives endorsements for Senate and House of Representatives based on demonstrated support for veteran's rights and a strong national defense. Any information you may have to the contrary is incorrect.

The VFW's 105th National Convention played host to a number of speakers including prominent members of the Cabinet, civic leaders, business leaders and a host of everyday people we honored for their exemplary service. The Voice of Democracy scholarship winner, Eagle Scout of the Year and the Youth Hero were also honored.

Once again thank you for your interest and concern and for the opportunity to respond to you. If you have any questions or need further information, please feel free to contact me.

Jerry Newberry

Director, VFW Communications

Dear Sirs:

I am a Vietnam veteran and retired Marine Corps officer who served two tours of duty in Vietnam. I want to express my very strong feelings that not only is John Kerry unfit to serve as Commander in Chief as many of his fellow swift boat veterans have alleged, he is, more importantly, unworthy. While there is considerable controversy over the questionable manner in which he received a number of his awards in Vietnam, there is no question about his testimony in 1971 in which he slandered his fellow servicemen accusing them of wide spread atrocities even as they were still fighting and dying, his aiding and abetting the enemy by generating propaganda which helped lead to their victory and which was used to torment the POW's in the Hanoi Hilton according to former POW's like Paul Galanti. Kerry was not just an anti-war activist, he was, by his actions, an enemy sympathizer along with many others in the radical VVAW. The Communist regime in Vietnam was so impressed with Kerry's contribution to their cause that a picture of him hangs in a museum in Ho Chi Minh city honoring those who helped them win the war.What would have been the reaction of a WW II veteran coming home and conducting himself as Kerry did while Americans were still fighting and dying in the Pacific and in Europe?

It really infuriated me that the VFW would welcome to their convention a man of so little character and integrity, especially given what he had to say about your very organization when it suited his need to disparage you and all that you stand for. I refer to the following:

Kerry criticized the VFW and American Legion in a 1971 book: "We will not quickly join those who march on Veterans Day waving small flags, calling to memory those thousands who died for the 'greater glory of the United States.' ... We will not readily join the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars," he wrote.

But on Wednesday, Kerry is readily joining the VFW -- as he addresses the group's national convention in Cincinnati

I understand the VFW does not endorse a candidate for President, but when faced with the option of a candidate whose miserable record on defense and intelligence spending and whose despicable activities against the interests of his country and it's men and women in uniform were so blatant, a strong statement repudiating that person's candidacy should be made. You owe that to your membership because of who you are and who you represent. I will not be renewing my membership unless there is a strong statement educating your membership on who John Kerry really is and pointing out his unworthiness to be Commander in Chief of our Armed Forces. If you do not do that, in my judgement you have lost the moral authority to speak for all veterans.

This is not a Democrat/Republican or liberal/conservative issue. It is about doing what is right for our country. I sincerely hope that you will give me reason to renew.
stevec
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Very well put Reply with quote

Thanks foir the info. Your letter to them was straight on and directly to the point.
My feelings are that ALL Vet's not just those that served in Viet Nam need to beaware of Traitor Kerry's remarks and history.
It seem like it it doesn't effect me, then they'll just let it pass.
What Kerry did, is nothing shrt of treason and should be treated as such.
Imagine what he'd do to the Vet benefits as CinC. NO THANK YOU.

America does not deserve, need, or can tolerate John Kerry.

Steve Christensen
oflyboy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Jerry. Keep trying, it seems to me that the VFW did break with tradition in 1980 in supporting Regan over Carter.

Whenever I see polls that reflect 40 percent of the veterans supporting Kerry, I am totally confused, I don't know of one.
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VFW/American Legion Support Reply with quote

Jerry M wrote:

Some have asked if the VFW or American Legion would get involved. The following is an email I sent to the VFW concerning Kerry as well as their reply. The reply comes first. I also spoke at length to Jerry Newberry, their Communication Director. The bottom line is don't expect any support from the VFW or possibly the American Legion. I have quit my VFW membership as a result of their attitiude about this issue. If they can't take a stand against a traitor, they are not worth belonging to in my view.

Heck, Jerry, I could have told you that when Kerry became the Democratic candidate. Look at the VFWs record on the issue of the Draft Dodger in Chief. They never once admonished Klinton for running away during Vietnam. The same thing is probably going to happen about Kerry's lies and distortions about the VN veteran. The VFW is interested in only one thing $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Push to get more members, push to get more advertising in their magizene (which they charge every member for), push to get more and more of the money producing projects.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the VFW and American Legion don't have guts to come out and take a position on Kerry vs. Bush, having all of the information that is now public knowledge, I wouldn't count on their membership increasing any time soon by an influx of Vietnam era veterans. If either came out and took a stand, I would have considered joining them. We REALLY need a new group, Vietnam Veterans. THAT I would join in a heartbeat.
USMC-Pride
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: legion answer Reply with quote

I recently wrote a letter to the American legion asking them to at least rescind there speaking invite to kerry until after the republican convention. Here is there response and my e-mail after that.

Thank you for your recent e-mail to The American Legion expressing your opinion on Senator John Kerry addressing the delegates to the 86th National Convention.

The American Legion is non-partisan, it is customary for major party candidates for President to address The American Legion national convention in an election year. As veterans and Legionnaires, one of the basic tenets we all believe in is free speech. Some may disagree; others may agree, but he does have the right to public discourse.

Fortunately, we veterans have the wisdom and appreciation for participating in the ultimate sanction of individuals seeking public office. In November, we will all have the opportunity to let folks know exactly how we feel about their statements and public records.

At this juncture, we would hope that the collective wisdom of the veterans community and the voting public will prevail. In the meantime, your Legion will continue to lobby for mandatory VA healthcare funding, elimination of the Disabled Veterans Tax, adequate national security and the benefits military veterans have earned and richly deserve.

Thank you for your commitment to our comrades and our country. God bless.

Lee Harris, Deputy Director
National Public Relations

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 8:05 PM
To: National Commander; National Commander
Subject: Contact via the legion.org webpage

The contact information is submitted below:

Dear Commander- I write to you today to ask you to please rescind your speaking invitation to John Kerry. We will be blamed (by him or his campaign)for him going against a long standing courtesy to stay off the stump during an opponents convention, because of our invitation we allow him an excuse to do this. Why should we think we will get anything other than ad-hominen attacks against our Commander-in-Chief and his policys and nothing of substance about his own policys like he has done every other place he has spoken. Another reason we should rescind our invite is that he came back from Vietnam while men and women were still fighting and dying there and slammmed and defamed them. This man now has no right to ride into the highest office in the land on the BACKS and GRAVES of the same men and women he called "Baby Killers" & "war criminals"! Combat decorated or not this man is a disgrace to everyone who has put on a uniform to protect our country in peacetime or wartime! Please reconsider having him speak as scheduled or at all! Our Membership is struggling as it is ,I would hope we would not add fuel to that fire. I would have to consider renewing mine and have not yet paid my dues for 2005 until I see how this shakes out. Thanks for your time.

For God & Country!
lucky
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Figures Reply with quote

Figured it was going to be like that for them organizations. Was hoping I would be wrong. Wonder what it would be like if they were to receive a huge amount of email from all that come in here and as many other sites that I can get to? Sure it wouldn't help but it definitely would make a statement i would think.
USMC-Pride
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since e-mailed them twice more and have had some of my family&friends who are members of both organizations do the same. PLEASE put as much pressure on these groups especially the Legion who kerry speaks to on wednesday. These groups rely on members so if they get loads of mail from them or those who could be members it MIGHT help,Doubt it, but at least they know where there membership stands and why it will not get any larger in the future.
lucky
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Great Reply with quote

USMC, that is a great idea. I will also. I think it would be wise to put the links to them if anyone can so it would be easier to do so.
USMC-Pride
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did forget the most important part. Thanks for pointing that out.

American Legion--- PR@legion.org
VFW---- info@vfw.org
lucky
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: cool Reply with quote

Thank you USMC. I will also give them my two cents and just hope that I can be half as eloquent as you were. I feel that maybe this is one instance where the membership should have the say and not the leadership.
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: legion answer Reply with quote

USMC-Pride wrote:

Fortunately, we veterans have the wisdom and appreciation for participating in the ultimate sanction of individuals seeking public office. In November, we will all have the opportunity to let folks know exactly how we feel about their statements and public records.

Kind of obvious how this individual, at least, views Kerry. The telling statement is "...let folks know exactly how we feel about their statements and public records" I believe he is making reference to Kerry's 1971 statements and his poor voting (and attendence) record in the Senate.
USMC-Pride
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lucky, appreciate it very much. I'm on the Legion Honor Guard and have given military honors to way to many REAL heros lately to let this guy get away with what he has already. NO MORE!!!! We have to speak out forcefully and often. The decision to withhold my membership dues was and is not an easy one, but one that I feel is necessary to get a point across. I hope more Vets take up the cause and we make a difference. Take care.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read what the reply said, they may be pretty smart. Let's let them play this out to election day before we condemn them. I liked these parts:
Quote:
We want to know where he stands on veterans’ affairs, and we want those remarks made in public and on the record.

Quote:
it provides VFW delegates the opportunity to listen to each man’s position regarding entitlements, national defense and the current state of the military.

They did do this for us: Kerry's speech to them can be used to show that his statements don't reflect his voting record. We can use that, I think. Let's keep an eye on these groups and see if they haven't done us a big favor, when all is said and done.
USMC-Pride
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, there is a hidden message within that response. If kerry would address his anti-war stance, his defamation of vietnam vets, his meeting in paris with communists while he was still an officer,etc,etc, I would take a different stance on this, but we all know it will be a bush bashing stump speech just like at the VFW speech. There is nothing in the legion bi laws that says that we have to ask the candidates to come speak at all. We all know what kerrys record is on vets and defense issues anyways. here is his senate veterans related record

This is from a letter written by Don Bendell he has written 10 total you can view them at www.donbendell.com

Starts here-

Let us talk today's facts: John Kerry called us his "Band of Brothers," and now flaunts his hero status to get elected. What has he done for his "Band Brothers?" Each session of Congress is 2 years in length.

In the eighties, in the 99th Congress, Kerry's first two years, when you would think he would be full of enthusiasm and eager to fix things, Kerry proposed 1 measly veteran-related bill, S1033. It died. In the 100th Congress, he proposed 1 measly veteran-related bill, S1510. It died, too. The 101st Congress, he proposed 1 measly veteran-related bill, S2128. It also died, but he did propose an amendment to a bill S2884. It died.

Then, in the 102nd , 103rd , 104th, 105th , 106th , and 107th sessions of Congress, 12 years, Kerry proposed ZERO bills related to veterans issues, his "Band of Brothers."

Finally, in the 108th Congress, closing in on two decades of seniority, but more importantly, deciding to run for the Presidency, Kerry sponsored 1 measly veteran-related bill, S1112. It died.

Now, Chief Hypocrite John F. Kerry, and his ardent supporters, attack Bush to divert his own miserable record, especially as it relates to those he calls his "Band of Brothers." When anybody like me fires back, they are pounced-upon and denounced as "mud-slingers."

Here is some factual mud: George W. Bush has increased military pay 21%. Kerry voted against military pay raises 12 times.

Kerry and his spinners have said that Bush is decimating the Veterans Administration. FACT: According to factscheck.org, Bush's 2005 fiscal budget increases VA funding by 40% over when Bush took office, Bush has cut administrative time in VA by half, the Annenberg Center says that funding for veterans under Bush is increasing twice as fast under Bush as it did under Clinton, and vets getting health benefits now has increased by over 27% under Bush.

Under previous Presidents, democratic and republican, I always was treated like a bastard stepchild at VA hospitals. Since Bush became President, I am treated like a veteran with respect and dignity and have never had to wait for more than a half an hour for an appointment.

End
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: