SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bush vs. Kerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAXX
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Bush vs. Kerry Reply with quote

This is an interesting blog-article by an Independent - certainly not friendly to Kerry, published on: http://www.vodkapundit.com . Very factual, not flamboyant as Zell Miller's speech but worth reading nonetheless

It get's down to an intersting point for sure: Kerry looks like trying to run as an incumbent, with a lot of media backing of course

Take a look yourself
MAXX (from Austria)

The Wrap
Posted by Stephen Green · 3 September 2004 ·
There was no overriding theme to President Bush’s speech, except for the unspoken one: “This is who I am.” No, wait -- let me amend that. The unspoken theme was, “This is who we are.” As Americans.

For all its faults, for all its overtly- and overly-religious tones, this small-l libertarian prefers George Bush’s America to John Kerry’s. I don’t care for NASCAR. I’m not much for country music, Sundays at church, blue-eyed soul, or faith-based initiatives.

But Bush made me feel welcome all the same. No, wait – let me amend that statement, too. Bush made me feel like his place is somewhere I’d like to spend some time and get to know the locals. You know -- down a few beers, chat up the natives and learn their quaint customs.

I don’t feel as welcome, as at home, in the America Kerry painted for us tonight.

I’ll repeat something I said earlier.

Forget the war. Forget policy. Forget everything but two men who want something from me. Kerry could never have joked about the way he walks – or made any other joke at his own expense. Bush can, and did. That's a guy comfortable in his own skin, and that's a guy I'd give something to, before the other guy. I'm pretty sure a lot of people recognize that, even if only instinctively. In other words, my gut tells me to vote for Bush.

My brain does, too.

I’m not much for faith-based initiatives, but I know for certain that unless we reform Social Security, this nation is in deep trouble. Tonight, Bush touched the “third rail” of American politics. Kerry seems content to keep on, keepin’ on. Strange position for a challenger to take against an incumbent, no?

I’m not much for Federal mandates on local schools, but I know for certain that America’s public schools need fixing, and soon. Bush is willing to take on the establishment. Kerry isn’t. Strange position for a challenger to take against an incumbent, no?

I’m not much for the expansion of Medicare. In fact, I think it was one of Bush’s biggest mistakes. On the other hand, I’m certain we would have gotten an even bigger, more ambitious, and even stupider and more expensive plan under a President Gore or Kerry. And yet Bush is still willing to propose expanding private Medical Savings Accounts. Kerry isn’t. Strange position for a challenger to take against an incumbent, no?

I’m not much for war, but I know for certain that we’re in one. Bush is willing to take the fight to the very heartland of the enemy. Kerry isn’t. Strange position for a challenger to take against an incumbent, no?

By now you probably know where I’m going with this.

John Kerry, the challenger, is running as an incumbent. He’s hoping you’ll vote based on his history (even if that history is 35 years in the past). He’s relying on endorsements from people he served with. He’s betting on the status quo, only better.

George W. Bush, the incumbent, revealed tonight that he’s running as a challenger. He wants to shake things up on the domestic front. He wants to fight the good fight abroad. He’s betting he can change the status quo, even though he’s responsible for some of it.

A challenger-as-incumbent is someone with nothing to offer. An incumbent-as-challenger is someone who, despite four years in office, has yet to go stale.

Personally, I like my presidents how I like my news, my website, and pretty girls in short skirts:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: