SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry he can't take his new gun to the debates!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Sorry he can't take his new gun to the debates! Reply with quote

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&ncid=703&e=3&u=/ap/20040906/ap_on_el_pr/kerry

Yesterday on the campaign trail Kerry received a gun as a present from the head of the United Mine Workers of Americe. He quipped: "I thank you for the gift, but I can't take it to the debate with me."

Is this guy a weirdo or what!!! This little snippet was in our local paper, The Pioneer Press (St. Paul, MN) underneath a picture of Kerry hoisting the gun. It was at the bottom of p. 9A. No mention of the comment in the text of the article itself.

Again, just picture Bush making a similar comment - can't you just see it on the front page of the NYT!

MJB
USAF '88-'92
arymann
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudge has pictures on his site, and a headline that says:

KERRY COSPONSORED BILL BANNING GUN HE WAVES!

http://www.drudgereport.com
Wolfgang
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Drudge is wrong.

The shotgun(s) picture are NOT pistol-grip shotguns, not in the ordinary use of the terms, anyway, since the thumb goes over the stock.

But I suppose it's a debatable point, in principle.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was firing over-under shotguns. But I guess his operatives told him that they were too elitist and switched him to the more masculine pump guns. hehe
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he's holding it with better form than he did the M16 in his home movies ..... Surprised
Mooncusser
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mocho John ever the swashbuckling hero. A legend in his own mind.

I actually won the election before I lost it.

"It is a good day to fight! It is a good day to die! Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front! Weak hearts and cowards to the rear!" (Crazy Horse)
arymann
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudge could be wrong, but now has a quote. I guess if he's wrong, he'll change it soon.

www.drudgereport.com

Quote:

KERRY COSPONSORED BILL BANNING GUN HE WAVES

Dem presidential hopeful John Kerry was seen this weekend waving a gun which would have been banned if legislation he co-sponsored became law!

Kerry co-sponsored S. 1431 last year (“The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003) which would have banned a "semiautomatic shotgun that has a pistol grip.”

Kerry was presented with the gun during a Labor Day stop in Racine, West Virginia.

"I thank you for the gift, but I can't take it to the debate with me," Kerry told a cheering crowd as he held up the device.

Photos show Kerry's hand resting on the semiautomatic shotgun's pistol grip.

Kerry's bill would ban millions of semi-automatics, including those with "pistol grips." [Section SEC. 2; (H) (ii)]

Opponents of the bill successfully argued how nearly all guns have "pistol grips," inluding millions of Browning Auto-5 shotguns produced since 1903.

Developing...

Also:

Quote:
Kerry's gun bill would also ban any 'gift' transaction. Kerry did not submit to a waiting period or background check before he claimed the gun...

Last edited by arymann on Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read the Bill Drudge is talking about but the term "Pistol Grip" could have been defined so broadly that the shotgun Kerry is holding could have be considered an assault weapon. The latest assault weapon law passed in California had this problem and had to have the definition "clarified" by the Attorney General.
Wolfgang
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobD wrote:
I have not read the Bill Drudge is talking about but the term "Pistol Grip" could have been defined so broadly that the shotgun Kerry is holding could have be considered an assault weapon. The latest assault weapon law passed in California had this problem and had to have the definition "clarified" by the Attorney General.

I'll stand by my assertion above--that gun he's holding is NOT a pistol grip shotgun in the normal use of the term--BUT you make an excellent point regarding the legal, versus the proper or ordinary, use of the term.

From the proposed legislation: (42) PISTOL GRIP- The term `pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.

Any other characteristic that can function as a grip??? That's rather overly broad, no?

On that bizarro definition, perhaps it is a pistol grip, in that it (like every gun, period) has characteristics that function as a grip. True lies there, seems like.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More to the point perhaps, Kerry blantently violated the 1 week waiting period.

Truth is Beauty
4th ID Vet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can add some info into this matter. Most rifle/shotguns have what is considered a "pistol grip", that is which the fingers & palm of your shooting hand fits around. Some of these "pistol grips" have what is called a "palm swell".....slight bulge type protrusion tha fits the "cupped" area of the shooting hand. This is where the problem came to be. The definition of "pistol grip" was too general.....covered most rifles/shotguns that would have been included in the assualt weapons ban. See following link. Hopefully it will answer any questions.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/pistolgrip.htm

Hooah! Very Happy
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*ahem*...isn't Kerry's comment about taking the gun (regardless of type) to the debates of interest?

MJB
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that definition is even broader then the California one that said something like protruding below the receiver. I would have to say, yes, that shotgun he was holding would be classified an assault weapon using such broad language. Good thing that bill will not see Bush's desk as it would never get past Tom Delay.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, since the Gun Control Act of 1968 was passed, it has been illegal for an unlicensed individual (a non-dealer, non-collector, non-manufacturer, etc.) to obtain a firearm in a state in which you are not a legal resident.

Actually it kind of looks like he he broke the law. Smile
arymann
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, MJB, the comment is quite interesting. It is getting a lot of play in the media as well.

Sorry I got your topic off to a different direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: