SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Kerry have to volunteer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Did Kerry have to volunteer? Reply with quote

I am trying to figure what moviated Kerry to volunteer for swift boats.
I see that the USS Gridley DLG 21 was sent to Bath Maine July 1968. The USS Gridley was being converted to new electronics. One officer, 8 CPO's and a BT1 stayed in Bath Maine. Everybody else was transferred. So Kerry had to volunteer for something.
The ship didn't return to Long Beach until June 1970.
Kerry left the USS Gridley in June of 1968( the month before it went to Maine).
At that time if a ship was being de-commissioned for upgrades, most everyone was reassigned.
You would check with your detailer and give three choices of where you wanted to go. Was Swift Boats choice 1, 2 or 3? For enlisted men and women there was choice 4; Go where they send you.

I also read that the Swift Boats were being used differently when Kerry volunteered for them.
Iam' not saying that it wasn't a dangerous assignment but it got a whole lot more dangerous right after he "reported aboard for duty"
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was romanced by president JFK and decided to walk in his shoes in preperation for his run at CIC. Why do you think he tried to collect a hero label before he bugged out with his three scratches.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Wit, he volunteered for the swiftboats because at that time it was not a dangerous assignment. He thought he would not see combat. It was shortly after that, that their assignments were changed.... by Zumwalt (if I remember correctly). From what I've read, he whined about that alot. He is sstill whing today.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry volunteered on his 2nd day underway to the Westpac on the USS Gridley. 17 Feb 69, I believe. I've wondered if he was suffering mal de mer that day. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: