SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry to Address National Guard Association Conference 9/16
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jette
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Kerry to Address National Guard Association Conference 9/16 Reply with quote

Sen. John F. Kerry to Address National Guard Association Conference
U.S. Newswire releases ^ | September 9, 2004 | U.S. Newswire

Sen. John F. Kerry is set to speak to more than 3,000 Guard officers gathering next week in Las Vegas, Nev., for the 126th National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) General Conference and Exhibition.

The Democratic presidential nominee will address the conference noon Thursday, Sept. 16, at the Las Vegas Convention Center. NGAUS invited both the Democratic and Republican presidential candidates to speak in Las Vegas.

"I am proud to join the thousands of National Guard officers who gather annually at the NGAUS conference and look forward to sharing my plan to make America stronger at home and respected in the world," Kerry said. "I want every Guardsman to know that I believe creating a stronger and safer America starts with providing for those who serve."

Kerry's agenda includes a Military Family Bill of Rights that provides access to Tricare, the military's health care system, for all members of the National Guard and Reserves.

"National Guardsmen both defend and participate in our nation's democratic processes," said retired Brig. Gen. Stephen M. Koper, NGAUS president. "We need to hear directly from the people who want to be our commander in chief for the next four years. Only that way will we be able to make a truly informed choice in November."

Kerry will be the fourth consecutive Democratic presidential nominee to address the NGAUS conference. He follows President Bill Clinton (1992 and 1996) and then-Vice President Al Gore (2000).

President George H.W. Bush (1992), Sen. Bob Dole (1996) and then-Gov. George W. Bush (2000) spoke to the conference as Republican presidential candidates.

"The candidates have come to know that their message will be taken back to thousands of Guard communities nationwide," Koper said. "That makes our conference a strategic venue and particularly important this year as the military is a key campaign issue."

The NGAUS conference is also a coveted platform for congressional and senior Army and Air Force leaders.

Joining Kerry on the current agenda are:

-- U.S. Rep. Jim Gibbons, R-Nev., House Armed Services Committee member -- 10:30 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 16.

-- Gen. John P. Jumper, Air Force chief of staff -- 11 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 16.

-- Gen. Dan K. McNeill, Army Forces Command commander -- 7:30 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 16.

-- Lt. Gen. H Steven Blum, National Guard Bureau chief -- 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 14.

They will address the NGAUS conference as the National Guard experiences its highest sustained operations tempo since World War II.

Today, nearly 100,000 citizen-soldiers are mobilized for the war on terror and other missions at home and abroad. Most are in or are preparing for fall deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan. Others are on Balkan peacekeeping duty or on homeland security missions. Still others are helping Florida residents recover from Hurricanes Charley and Frances.

In all, more than 225,000 Guardsmen -- roughly half the force -- have been called to active duty since the Sept. 11 attacks. Many conference attendees only recently returned from overseas duty. Others will be called in the months and years ahead.

Thousands of National Guard officers -- from second lieutenant to lieutenant general -- gather annually at the NGAUS conference to hear from senior defense leaders and set their legislative agenda for the upcoming year.

The 126th General Conference will begin 4 p.m. Monday, Sept. 13, with the opening of the exhibition, a sold-out, 200,000-square-foot trade show featuring the products and services of nearly 500 defense industries. The conference concludes Thursday, Sept. 16. All events will be held in the Las Vegas Convention Center.

NGAUS is a non-partisan organization representing nearly 45,000 current and former National Guard officers. It was formed in 1878 with the goal of obtaining better equipment, standardized training and a more combat-ready force by petitioning Congress for resources. Today, well over a century later, NGAUS has the same mission.

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=35883

Anyone attending? Know anyone who is?

Admin note: Please provide a link to a reputable source for all non-original material presented in this forum.
Admin note: Link to source added
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like speaking to 3,000 draft dodgers at one time to get the blood moving...

After all he's said about service in the Guard and Reserves. You have got to be kidding me.

MJB
USAF '88-'92
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to a walkout setup when Kerry begins speaking.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: National Guard Conference Reply with quote

Someone should suggest that President Bush show up and sit in the back of the audience. After all, he is an honorably discharged "veteran" of the National Guard, and has every right to attend their conference.

I wonder who would get more cheers if he came!
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be something if W "crashed" JFK's speech? Perhaps he could ask a few questions, then have a program signing session. Yeah, I like that! Course, W does have a full time job in addition to campaigning.

Kat
leeinwv
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerry has his nerve.
Stab me in the back and I sit and take it
bach04
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: National Guard Conference Reply with quote

[quote="Steve Z"]Someone should suggest that President Bush show up and sit in the back of the audience. After all, he is an honorably discharged "veteran" of the National Guard, and has every right to attend their conference.
[/quote]

I think it would be better to have the president sit right in the front, flanked by 3000 guardsmen. I think that kerry will lose his sanity when that happens.
MTS17446
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why this group would want to listen to Kerry, since he has been trashing Bush and the time he served in the Air National Guard yet and Bush and Cheney have not trashed Kerry on his service.
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, Guardsmen: "George Bush betrayed his country by not fighting in Vietnam" per Mary Anne Marsh of the Kerry campaign.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kerry's agenda includes a Military Family Bill of Rights that provides access to Tricare, the military's health care system, for all members of the National Guard and Reserves.

If I understood correctly, Kerry voted against letting National Guard families have Tricare coverage while their soldiers are mobilized. Many people at that conference would surely know this. They have reason to be suspicious of him regardless of Vietnam.

This is such a busy time of year, that I doubt I know anyone that's going. If the attendees are in uniform, they'll likely be courteous to a fault.
Floridavietvet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You send your comments to the National Guard Association at: ngaus@ngaus.org
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I witnessed Kerry's spokeswoman say that guard service was betrayal --- I sent my comments to the National Guard Association congratuating them on inviting an admitted "war criminal" to speak to the convention of "draft dodgers" and "traitors".

These Guardsmen and women should definitely stage a walk-out on Kerry. I would suggest they take bushels of tomatoes and rotten fruit to throw at Kerry --- but I would not want any Secret Service men to get hurt. So maybe they could all just walk past the stage as he speaks and pile the rotten fruit at his feet.

If the Secret Service wants to come discuss this thought with me they are more than welcome to my home. But throwing fruit is nothing compared to what has been thrown at our current CIC.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post -- I hate it when that happens.

Last edited by jataylor11 on Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrianC
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, FloridaVietVet for that address.

I would strongly urge others to contact them as well, and drop a gentle reminder of the Kerry hypocrisy on the issue of the National Guard.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the following email to the National Guard. Thanks for the address.

I hope you give him a very "warm" reception after he has insisted that anyone that served in the NG during Vietnam was a "draft dodger". That also means that all of you in the Guard now are actually dodging honorable service in the "regular" armed forces. Congratulations.

Of course, I'm sure He'll give you special dispensation sinc he wants your vote.

I am a Vietnam veteran that served in the USMC. My son was a Marine during the Gulf War. My father was a member of the 36th Infantry Division of the Texas National Guard and hit the beach at Salerno and spent 18 months as a POW during World War II.

The National Guard is and always has been an honorable way to serve your country. I congratulate you on your service.

Let Kerry know how you feel. My father would appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: