SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dick Morris says Time and Newseek polls are accurate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Cyber Menace
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Dick Morris says Time and Newseek polls are accurate Reply with quote

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/19281.htm

Quote:
How big is Bush's lead? Don't believe the surveys that show it in the 5- to 7-point range. Believe the surveys of Time and Newsweek, which show a lead in excess of 10 points.

The difference is because pollsters disagree about whether or not to weight their results to keep constant the ratio of Republicans, Democrats and Independents in their sample. Some polling firms treat party affiliation as a demographic constant and, when they find that their sample has too many Republicans, they weight down each Republican interview and assign an extra weight to each Democratic response.

But other polling firms — and I — disagree. We feel that political party is not a demographic, like gender or race or age. If the survey finds more Republicans than usual, we think it's because the country has become more Republican, so we treat the result as a indicator of national mood, not of statistical error.

Time and Newsweek both picked up major moves toward the GOP in the wake of the convention. Likely the other firms did too, but they treated the finding as a mistake and weighed down the Republican interviews, making the race appear to be closer than it really is.

The only reservation I have about such analysis is the degree to which people really change party affiliation on the spot. Don't they need to be registered with a party to say they belong to that party? Even if they don't, I'm not sure if this trait is as variable as Morris and others believe.

Nevertheless, it can't be bad news for the Swiftees. Wink
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: statistical interpretation Reply with quote

Actually the weighting described above makes a certain amount of sense to me. If a particular poll on a particular day happens to pick up a disproportionate number of people from a particular party, then the results are going to reflect this. Nevertheless, two of the polls show a markedly greater margin for Bush over Kerry.
The Cyber Menace
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: statistical interpretation Reply with quote

Arty Guy wrote:
Actually the weighting described above makes a certain amount of sense to me. If a particular poll on a particular day happens to pick up a disproportionate number of people from a particular party, then the results are going to reflect this.

I suppose that's where the dispute is. Are there more members of one party in a particular poll because of an error in sampling, or because more respondents now want to be members of that party? The first needs to be accounted for. The second is valid.

Nevertheless, four post-convention polls (all done by leftist media, mind you) show a healthy Bush bounce.
mj_brutus
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Weighting the results is just silly Reply with quote

Imagine the question is: are you Rep or Dem?

The results come back 55 Republican 45 Democrat. But if one wieghts the results, it becomes 50-50. That is because, the assumption that the right "answer" is 50-50 forces the weighted result to *always be* 50-50, whatever the real world proportions are!
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: thinking, thinking, thinking Reply with quote

So the polls are what the lilttle man who wants to be vp, lawless

Edwards was crying about just before he came out and told

the REAL VP, "don't hit me any more, please no don't hit me

any more,"

If it was not so sad , it would be funny, as this means that

fully 30/40 % of our fellow Americans are "not in their

collective "right minds" for they "?support these two

strange men.

other than that have a nice day John / john
or in TV language. "good nite" John, "good nite" popa, , "good nite"

all.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin note:

Please refrain from general political dialogue in the main forum.

This forum is reserved for discussion of John Kerry's unfitness for office.

We appreciate your cooperation in this regard.

This topic will be moved to Geedunk.

Thanks
Frank B
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Da Polls Reply with quote

"POLLS DON'T LIE.....PEOPLE DO."

IMHO, polls are not to be trusted. My questions about polls: How can a poll be "scientific??" How are people selected? How many are selected? Do their opinions represent the majority? What variables are plugged in? taken out? What guru(s) in what city behind what desk in what corner of the office determines what polls questions and how they are phrased?

Putting my sarcasm aside, common sense has to prevail when looking at polling results. For example: the U.S. has almost 300 million people. Poll numbers one week show Kerry ahead on any issue by 55 to 45. One week later after gas prices drop and the sun comes out, Bush is up 55 to 45. That 10% swing to Bush equates to 30 million Americans changing there minds!! Then the next week, Kerry picks up a couple poll points to make it 53-47....now 6 million of the 30 million changed their minds!! And those undecideds.....are we to believe these fence sitters have no views or opinions until right up to the last minute before the polls open?

This stuff will make you scratch your head bald.....and I don't have much to spare Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: