SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source of Fake TANG Docs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Source of Fake TANG Docs? Reply with quote

Moderator: Please delete if this is inappropriate.

This is pure fantasy and is just my opinion on who, how and why these fake documents appeared.

First off lets admit that these documents are really bad fakes. No offense to the people who exposed these documents as fakes but you have to admit that whoever did them wanted them to be discovered as forgeries.

Who?

Kerry Camp or DNC?
Supposedly these docs surfaced six weeks ago, when the Kerry campaign was still leading or even in the polls so I doubt they created them, and besides I would think they could have got somebody to do a much better job.

Bush Camp?
Not likely as they had not even had there convention yet and the race was basically tied.

Who else might have a motive to pull this stunt? Other then Bush who else has been smeared by the Dems over Bush's TANG service. I would say that the Texas ANG has been smeared by association and many are probable pretty POed about it.

Why?
Was the intent for this to go all the way to CBS and get on the air. I don't think so. I think this was a practical joke that got out of control because of the Dems and the MSM desire to win at any cost.

How?
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am doubting CBS' statement that they verified the authenticity for 6 weeks, or 6 weeks ago...
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNC: Lets run a anti-war radical with no record of accomplishment in the Senate....we will have a convention all about Vietnam and his service there....but lets not expect anyone to bring up his radical anti-war history, even though there are plenty of films of it

that logic concerns me about terrorism more than anything else....its just plain stupid
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops left off the How.
How?

My theory is that some Democrat opposition researcher(Dem Dirt Digger DDD for short) went down to Texas and started snooping around Bush's old base and ran into someone who did not like how the Dems have been smearing the TANG, so they gave them what they were looking for. The guy whipped up some obviously fake docs and gave them to the DDD thinking maybe the guy would get fired if he tried to pass them off as real, never thinking they would get any farther then the DDD. Now that this has snowballed I would guess that whoever made up these docs is sweating bullets.
grandforker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Source of Fake TANG Docs? Reply with quote

RobD wrote:
First off lets admit that these documents are really bad fakes. No offense to the people who exposed these documents as fakes but you have to admit that whoever did them wanted them to be discovered as forgeries.

That doesn't explain why CBS, which certainly had the resources to determine if the documents were forgeries, went ahead and used them anyway.

I think the most obvious explanation is the correct one. Dan Rather and others were so determined to believe that the documents were authentic, they went ahead and used them without adequate checking.

It's happened before. It'll happen again.
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My operating theory is Ben Barnes.

The significance of this is that Barnes is so close to Kerry that he will have great difficulty distancing himself from it.

While there is no PROOF it is Barnes, there are a number of pieces of circumstancial evidence....

1. Ben Barnes is the primary named source in the 60 Minutes report.

In a story using named and unnamed sources from the same side, they are usually the same people. This has to do with how reporters are supposed to handle sources and do fact checking.

2. In addition to political motivation, Ben Barnes is believed to have a financial interest in this story.

Deep Throat was right when he told Woodward and Berstein to "follow the money". Barnes daughter says he is working on a book.

That Barnes is a very partisian Democrat is not in question.

3. Very serious questions exist relative to Barnes integrity.

His career in elected office was destroyed in scandal. Many have stepped forward to say that Barnes lies. His statements are Kerry like in terms of consistancy.

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
Sonar5
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Check out this article.. Reply with quote

I didn't see this thread, while I was putting together another one on the origin of the document forgery story, but I posted this:

This story will lead back to the Kerry campaign and who knew about these documents and why they were not vetted properly, IMHO, and others....

American Spectator has run this story which is very telling about links to the Kerry Campaign and the DNC, where they state the DNC and Kerry Campaign was aware of the documents:

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=7096

Quote:
Washington Prowler
Anatomy of a Forgery
By The Prowler
Published 9/10/2004 12:09:06 AM

More than six weeks ago, an opposition research staffer for the Democratic National Committee received documents purportedly written by President George W. Bush's Texas Air National Guard squadron commander, the late Col. Jerry Killian.

The oppo researcher claimed the source was "a retired military officer." According to a DNC staffer, the documents were seen by both senior staff members at the DNC, as well as the Kerry campaign.

"More than a couple people heard about the papers," says the DNC staffer. "I've heard that they ended up with the Kerry campaign, for them to decide to how to proceed, and presumably they were handed over to 60 Minutes, which used them the other night. But I know this much. When there was discussion here, there were doubts raised about their authenticity."

The concerns arose from the sourcing. "It wasn't clear that our source for the documents would have had access to them. Our person couldn't confirm from what file, from what original source they came from."

The documents that CBS News used were not documents from any of Bush's personnel files from his time in the National Guard. Rather, CBS News stated that they were documents uncovered in the personnel files of Killian. That would explain why the White House or the Pentagon had never before released or even seen them.

Folks, keep up the pressure, and keep asking the questions... It's been over a month now since kerry answered any reporter questions, as Kerry keeps hiding and avoiding the truth of his war record, his senate record and his dispicable record after returning from his 4 month tour on kerry's Isle..

Watch as over the next few days, the Kerry Campaign will continue to sink as the origin of these documents gets traced back to their campaign...

As CBS stews in their pathetic attempt at biased partosan news, the folks on the net and in the blogs will continue to affect the ouitcome of the election...

The lib dems may attempt to deflect from the truth, but the truth cannot be held back...

Great Job folks, keep it up, and don't forget to make more donations...

My Home at AboutPolitics.net:
http://www.aboutpolitics.net/phpBB2/index.php

Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows where the document originated from. I know the Spectator mentions that CBS got the documents from some people in the DNC so if that's accurate that puts the DNC and Kerry in the middle of it and holding some responsibility for the outcome.

At the same time I don't know that it matters all that much who typed those documents. What's important and frightening about this incident is that it shows the extreme bias and disrespect for the intelligence of the public that exists in parts of our press. I can't believe that CBS was unaware that those documents were probably fake. In fact in the same Spectator article CBS sources actually admit they had doubts but ran with it anyway. To me this shows that news outlets such as CBS, CNN, The NY Times, and the The Boston Herald have gone from reporting events to trying to dictate events. This type of so-called journalism is nothing but a form of censoring and hopefully the document incident will be the first step towards purging this cancer from our news outlets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: