SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions for military typists circa 1972

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Questions for military typists circa 1972 Reply with quote

1. Please confirm that the standard paper was 8 x 10.5 rather than 8.5 x 11. Was 8.5 x 11 ever used?

2. For documents like memos, were there standard margin settings? If so, what were they?

3. How often were you likely to change margins? (I'm thinking that filling out forms, perhaps, and then reset for documents on plain paper.)

Where am I going with this?

If the paper is 8 x 10.5 and standard margins are 1", the length of a line of text would be 6". That matches the line length of the Word documents of the two memos that don't have return addresses.

However, on the two memos with the return address at the top were typed with .9" margins. With an 8.5" page, that gives a line length of 6.7". On an 8 x 10.5 sheet, that would give margins of .6" and .7". Just doesn't seem reasonable to me.

What are the odds of two typewritten documents typed almost three months apart would have the same strange margin settings?
Absolut
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions for military typists circa 1972 Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
1. Please confirm that the standard paper was 8 x 10.5 rather than 8.5 x 11. Was 8.5 x 11 ever used?

I can verify this. I work in an office with several retired military men that can attest that the Air Force did not use the regular 8.5x11 paper.. Rather it was 8x10.5. Bingo!
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: paper size Reply with quote

It wasn't just the military, but the entire federal government that used smaller paper, if my memory serves me correctly. I don't think this was changed until after 1975. I was working for the feds in a civilian capacity at that time and I think we were using the smaller paper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: