SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Operation Fortunate Son

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eXcel
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Operation Fortunate Son Reply with quote

pretty funny report @ drudge:
Quote:
The coordinated nationwide effort this week by the DNC has been code-named "Operation Fortunate Son."

full report here:
http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc77.htm
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the above article:

Quote:
"Flyers distributed to Texas voters during Bush's failed Congressional race say 'he served in the U.S. Air Force and the Texas Air National Guard.' But according to Air Force officials, Air National Guardsmen are not counted as members of the active-duty Air Force."

I sure would like to see a copy of that flyer. I'm almost certain it would have said "Served *with* the US Air Force....".

I was a Marine. I served with the Navy. I wasn't IN the Navy, however, I was around them enough I may as well HAVE been. And, by some silly historical quirk, the Marines fall under the Department of the Navy. So, technically, I WAS in the Navy. But not really.

Only someone who was in the military knows how closely the services operate -- now more than ever -- but, there is a lot of joint effort in closely aligned forces. And the TANG and the USAF are VERY tightly coordinated. They both operated out of Ellington AFB (Which stand for Air Force Base, for any not aware), and the cognizant authority for the TANG is the USAF (as can be plainly seen in orders citing USAF regulations and references).

This is a stupid and specious argument. It's the equivilant of saying Kerry wasn't in the Navy because he had a USNR serial number and not a USN serial number (USN serial numbers are for "Regular Navy", as opposed to the Reserves, which is an accounting trick used by the Penagon to staff positions not normally covered in manpower authorizations). Having worked OP-121 for a number of years (Navy Manpower Planning and Programming), I have some familiarity with this stuff.

Anyone trying to "make hay" from a flyer issued for a campaign 25 years ago is going to be hard pressed to make it an issue when their candidate has MUCH more pressing problems. There is a HUGE difference between saying you flew a jet with the USAF and saying you were running guns into Cambodia and committing War Crimes on a daily basis.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Air National Guardsmen are not counted as members of the active-duty Air Force.

By the same token, members of the Army National Guard aren't counted as members of the active-duty Army.

What rocket scientist thought this was a viable attack strategery? (Yes, I know, but I *like* that word. It may be one of the most misunderestimated words in recent etymological history. High on my list of "fantasy conversations" is one between George Bush and Yogi Berra.)
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: