SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did Senator Kerry get a top secret clearance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: How did Senator Kerry get a top secret clearance? Reply with quote

When I got inducted int the USAF I was asked if I belonged to any anti American subversive groups.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Security clearance forms Reply with quote

There are two Armed Forces Security Clearance forms in the Security_Clearance.pdf file on the jk website. The pages appear to be out of order.

I looks like the first form was signed on 29 Oct 65 (page 7 of pdf file). The second was signed 18 Feb 66 (page 5 of pdf file).

The 29 Oct 65 form was probably signed when candidate Kerry submitted his OCS request paperwork to his Navy recruiter. The second was signed when he was enlisted and formally accepted an OCS assignment.

The (I think) first form has typed "x" marks in all the "No" blocks except Line 2 (were you a member of organizations listed in Part II of the form) - Line 2 has handwritten check marks in BOTH the "Yes" and "No" blocks - I can just hear the recruiter saying "Sir, if you check THAT block you won't be accepted.).

The (I think) second form submitted later has handwritten check marks only in all the "No" blocks.

Did candidate Kerry lie? Who knows? He DID get a security clearance.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the leg work,

Ok lets say Lt. Kerry got a top secret security clearance. My question is how has he been able to maintain it as Senator Kerry?

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coldwarvet wrote:
My question is how has he been able to obtain and maintain it as Senator Kerry?

MY *guess* is that senators get a more or less automatic basic TS clearance.

We both know there are many "flavors" of TS and above clearances.

I'm sure not all congressmen get those extra "flavors".
RichardP
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
coldwarvet wrote:
My question is how has he been able to obtain and maintain it as Senator Kerry?

MY *guess* is that senators get a more or less automatic basic TS clearance.

We both know there are many "flavors" of TS and above clearances.

I'm sure not all congressmen get those extra "flavors".

In Kerry's case, hopefully he got a "need to know" clearance. In other words, if he needs to know, he's told, otherwise he's a mushroom.
ASW Tech
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Security Clearance Reply with quote

Unless members of congress are an exception, the civilian version of a Top Secret clearance is a "Q" clearance. My understanding is that posession of a TS clearance has no value in being issued a "Q" once 6 months have passed since the TS expired.

The form that you fill out for a "Q" is 13 pages long, and requests an incredible depth of detail about the applicant's life. It includes questions similar to those related above regarding organization memberships. The "National Agency Check" that follows could best be described as, um, proctological.

Presumably the "importance" of the applicant determines how much time and money is spent investigating. You can be sure that if you or I submitted an app with the VVAW listed as a past affiliation it would have ended up in the s__tcan in an instant. In Kerry's case, it would probably just serve as a guide for the investigators to know where to dig the deepest looking for dirt. I'll bet they spent a fortune vetting Kerry.
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that he only has an Interim TS Clearance. This is the same clearance that Clinton and his cronies used for 8 years.

The information you have access too still depends on Need To Know.

They are kept with an Interim Clearance, because once the background investigation is completed, action has to be taked to grant or pull a clearance.

Bottom line is, with their backgrounds, Kerry and Clinton could not even be granted confidential clearances, so the background investigations are never finalized

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
Jack Hetherton, jr
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Securities and Special considerations Reply with quote

I held clearances due from cryto training, etc. I was looking through my service jacket one day and noticed that on the front was stamped bold letters "PI". I enquired about it anwas told it was "Political Influance". The only thing that brought this on was that at one time my US Senator had intervened once in the past for a silly incidence. That stayed on my jacket my entire time of service. It actually helped me on occassion. I assumed the Brass was influnced. What a joke it was.
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: I don't know Reply with quote

"I am not going to go there"

I had AEC/DOE "Top Secret" (AEC/DOE called them "Q") clearances for nuclear propulsion systems, as well as DOD clearances for NROTC, Commissioning, Nuke Power school, and assignment to submarines., etc., as well as post-active duty clearances (AEC/DOE and DOD) to work for a nuclear reactor vendor and later for an airborne ASW avionics vendor.

I did get updates when I went up for Reserve O-6, and when I changed civilian jobs (nuclear power to avionics).

Let me blow some popular misconceptions out of the water.

1. There is one Supreme Cout case that ordered the Navy to give a commission to a Kings Point NROTC graduate whose mother was a card-carrying communist. (Have to be eligible for Top Secret to get commisisoned, Kings Point graduates have a USN/USCG "obligation" if they don't sail "merchant.")

2. There is another Supreme Court case that ordered DOD to commission a physician who was drafted under the "Doctor Draft" ("Berry Plan") - he himself was a Communist.

3. As to "iffy" situations - one of the engineers at the Nuclear Power Lab went "over the top" after Kent State (his daughter was a victim) - did NOT lose his clearance.

4. There was a manager at the Nuclear Power Lab who was on the local ACLU Board, and ran for (and was elected to) the State Legislature as a hard line liberal Democrat. Did not lose his clearance. He ran against Tom Ridge for Governor - and Clinto made his the DOE guy who approved the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Dump - hardly a liberal or tree hugger position.

5. One of engineers in my group is a Parsi speaking, Persian-born, Shiite Muslim (and a very good engineer - American PhD in EE). His oldest is a "Parsi as a Second Language", American born, Shiite. Just got commisisoned in the USAF for - as his dad puts it - "stuff." and the "stuff" required a Top Secret.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: I don't know Reply with quote

PigBoatAndy wrote:

<SNIP>
5. One of engineers in my group is a Parsi speaking, Persian-born, Shiite Muslim (and a very good engineer - American PhD in EE). His oldest is a "Parsi as a Second Language", American born, Shiite. Just got commisisoned in the USAF for - as his dad puts it - "stuff." and the "stuff" required a Top Secret.

I think you mean Farsi, don't you?
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Parsi or Farsi Reply with quote

JWB7605 - Talked to my colleague. Technically you are right - he said "Farsi" is the language, and "Parsi" is the ethnic heritage. (Parsis are also an ethnic group in India - who claim to be from Ancient Persia).
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know THAT. I know about a dozen people whose native language is Farsi ... they're mostly deposed Iranians. The written letters look like a bunch of snakes overdosed on something, to me. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: