SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How else do we pressure Rather and CBS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: How else do we pressure Rather and CBS? Reply with quote

Clearly, these documents are fake. CBS so far has not had enough pressure on them to admit this. So how do we add more pressure on Rather and CBS?

If this issue starts dying down in the news, without CBS apology, we should set a date for a boycott of products advertised on CBS news. This should be a last resort, and it's not yet time to resort to this, but given CBS' arrogance, it may be needed soon.

Would you have gone to war with Iraq?
"You bet we might have" - John Fraud Kerry
the0point
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going after the news advertisers isn't going to cut it. The bulk of CBS's advertising dollars comes from it's popular shows. CSI right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gotta hit'em where it hurts. Any company advertising on the top shows gets boycotted. Advertising dollar amounts are set during the Sweeps period, namely November and February. Hit them during November, it'll kill their ability to charge money for the commercial spots come the Spring.

Money is the ONLY statement the executives understand, they don't care if conservatives stop watching--most conservatives don't watch CBS anyway. IMO.
gator60
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: advertisment Reply with quote

I e-mailed everyone I see that buys ad time on 60 minutes and told them since CBS is now a hack for the DNC I will not be watching 60 minutes ever again. 60 minutes will never be credible again.
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the0point wrote:
Going after the news advertisers isn't going to cut it. The bulk of CBS's advertising dollars comes from it's popular shows. CSI right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gotta hit'em where it hurts. Any company advertising on the top shows gets boycotted. Advertising dollar amounts are set during the Sweeps period, namely November and February. Hit them during November, it'll kill their ability to charge money for the commercial spots come the Spring.

Money is the ONLY statement the executives understand, they don't care if conservatives stop watching--most conservatives don't watch CBS anyway. IMO.

November is too late. CBS gets a lot of money from News' advertising - 60 Minutes and the Nightly news get good ratings, so they are pulling $ from that. I agree, we probably couldn't affect the ratings significantly, but if we threatened boycott of companies who advertise on 60 minutes and the nightly news, that could have a big impact. If just a couple advertisers pull their ads, CBS executives will take notice.

Stacman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I e-mails every sponsor also, and copied CBS on each. But unless everyone did the same the sponsors aren't likely to take notice because they view it mostly as empty threats. CBS won't do anything. After all, this is just free advertisement for them.

The only way to get the sponsors' attention is through the mainstream media. And we all know which way they lean. In fact, most of their reporting only makes casual reference to any discrediting by independent experts. They believe that since the highly regarded CBS says their experts authenticated the ducuments, they must be authentic. So just as the dems do, they just spin it right back around and blame it on the paranoid republicans.

Where are all the Lee Harvey Oswald's when you need them???
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think maybe Drudge would link to a list of targeted CBS sponsors? I bet we could get Hannity, Ingraham, Rush, Beck, ... to help publicize a boycott. Maybe we should just try to find out who CBS News' (and 60 Minutes') top 5 advertisers are and target them.

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent this letter to VIACOM

Dan Rather and his Producers/ News Director KNEW that Ben Barnes was a questionable character, a proven LIAR, who has changed his story many times over many years. They KNEW that the "documents" that they put on the air were fraudulent or at best, highly suspicious. But they pushed ahead and aired this deceitful smear to millions of viewers!!! Furthermore, his lame attempts to continue the FRAUD on his CBS Evening News only amplifies his dishonesty.

I am outraged at this disgraceful fraud and lack of journalistic integrity, and I am TAKING ACTION!!! I have noted EVERY ADVERTISER on that program and I have e-mailed all of them that I will boycott their products unless an until Dan Rather is FIRED!!

I will recruit all of my relatives, friends & associates at work and at church to join in this BOYCOTT and urge them to recruit others. I will provide lists of sponsors and Email addresses to everyone who participates in this campaign, I will continue to note all advertisers of CBS Evening News and 60 Minutes.

Dan Rather MUST BE FIRED in order to restore any modicum of integrity to your organization. Mr. Rather holds a position of public trust and he has broken that trust.

This will not blow over--everyone I know is outraged as I am!!!

Sincerely,

Sharon Warren

If Viacom (owns CBS) gets enough grief they will hammer CBS.

It has happened when they were bombarded, threatened with sponsor boycotts, over the Reagan movie made by Barbara Striesand et al. that CBS was going to run in prime time. Also, some homeschooler moms did a boycott against CBS News by bombarding Viacom. VIACOM ultimately controls what happens at CBS!!.
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your letter to VIACOM Shawa. Good point also about the Reagan fable.

Do you have a list of advertisers? Does anyone know how we can find a list of the top 5 or top 10 advertisers to 60 Minutes and the Nightly News?

dcrhere
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good start would be to get the Killian family to snag a lawyer and very publicly file a cease-and-desist on CBS News from representing those memos as Col. Killian's.

Hold a press conference. Get Judicial Watch involved. Challenge CBS to either prove those docs are legit or see you in court.

Sure, it lawyers could stonewall the actual legal action, but the announcement would be the lead story everywhere.
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, get everyone you know to boycott watching CBS period!
BB Stacker
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe this is going to go away for some time. It has legs as they say. Their are some very large issues that will keep this afloat.

First, the proponderance of evidence that these documents are forged is overwhelming. This is a fraud on the American public, and CBS and Dan Rather were either duped or are willing participants in it. This has not yet been resolved and until it is will continue to fuel the contraversy.

Second, someone gave these forged documents to CBS in an attempt to influance a presidential election. Who is responsible for that? The DMC? The Kerry Campaign? A rogue partisan Bush hater? This question is not going away until it's answered.

Third, someone committed a felony. Influancing a presidential election by means or forged documents is no small matter. Someone is going to jail for this. Sooner or later a criminal investigation is going to be inevitable.
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Eagles:

All of this is good, but the most effective way to put pressure on Rather and company will be from within their own industry and from within CBS itself.. I see some of that happening. The seams are coming apart. Rather will fall out soon.

Cool Medics, we're there when you need us.
the0point
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt CBS will ever willingly submit that the documents are forgeries. Doing so would negate their need to protect their sources. In fact they would be pressured to release the source because the person would be guilty of a crime. As long as the issue is in dispute and CBS can find other "experts" to run interference, they think they can get away with it.

I just saw on Nationalreview.com that CBS is now investigating all the experts from CNN and the AP and the other papers, to see if they are contributers to Bush. They are going to cast a political shadow on those experts to discredit them. Never mind that Ben Barnes is the THIRD LARGEST FUNDRAISER FOR THE KERRY CAMPAIGN...he's obviously un-biased. Rolling Eyes
ArmybratNavywife
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Survivor start this Thursday. That is where to hit them. That is their night...Survivor followed by CSI.

Catch Survivor Fire!.....um no thanks not this year.
directorblue
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: This is from Hugh Hewitt... Reply with quote

Here's one way to kick CBS right in the a$$... From Hugh Hewitt...

Quote:
Congressional Hearings, Anyone?

The House Committee on Energy and Commerce has oversight authority over the operation of broadcasting, specifically the Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet, chaired by Fred Upton, Republican of Michigan, with Ed Markey, Democrat of Massachusetts as ranking minority member. Here are the rest of the subcommittee's members.

Call them. E-mail them. Ask for hearings on the CBS forgeries.

Congress has held hearings on Howard Stern and "wardrobe malfunctions" at the Superbowl. It has held hearings on the networks' disastrous performance on election night 2000. Now a network is party to a fraud committed with the obvious intent of influencing an election. Where are the hearings? This is very serious stuff, and the rise of technology capable of influencing elections is a worry on many minds. (See John Fund's new book Stealing Elections.) It doesn't do much good for Congress to arrive to conduct an autopsy. It should act before the fraud spreads.

The blogosphere can help Congress frame a witness list and question trees after the first hearing is scheduled, but like-minded bloggers are invited to join in this call for Congress to exercise its appropriate authority of oversight over the federal government's licensees. It will be interesting to see if much in the way of call volume can be generated by the pajama-clad.

Of course Dan Rather made his bones on Watergate, which involved a cover-up begun in the midst of a presidential election and some very famous Congressional hearings, so he couldn't possibly object to participating.

The Congressional switchboard number is 202-225-3121. Ask for Congressman Upton's office. Dan's got nothing to be afraid of, as he told us Friday and yesterday, so let the truth-telling begin.

Committee: http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/subcommittees/Telecommunications_and_the_Internet.htm
Upton: http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/members/Upton.htm
Markey: http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/members/Markey.htm
Other members: http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/members/members.htm

Call now! Operators are standing by!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: