SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memogate and What it Means to the Swifty Message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Memogate and What it Means to the Swifty Message Reply with quote

I just had an epiphany of sorts while commenting on another thread, and I think this theory is worthy of discussion.

Today, as I read that the Swifties found some more documentation to bolster their case, I found that I could barely wade through the documentation with enough interest to really understand the who/wheres/whys/whens and hows. After seeing and studying the Bush memos (which I believe are obvious fakes) I realized that I was having no fun Shocked trying to read and understand the reports of some of Kerry's action on swiftboats that lead to his decorations.

The points of contention used to argue that the Bush memos are fakes range from minutia (superscript use) to blatant (reference to a then retired general as exerting pressure, unlikely at best). The overall preponderance points to obvious forgery. Still, the appearance of these memos, so obviously forged, brings into question any document produced on either side.

My point is, I don't think the electorate can handle another complicated and nit-picky (albeit correct) analysis of more documents, no matter who they implicate. I believe there is a point of saturation, where the truth will matter less than the reprieve of not having to sift through 30 year old documentation and allegations, especially those derived from ancient and oft copied and faxed papers posted as PDFs on a website.

Could it be the Bush memos were a plant to desensitize the electorate to the coming Swifty surge?

If so, it was tactically brilliant, but more likely it was dumb luck. Still, I think the Swifties should take stock. Use photographs and video footage. Move away from documentation. I think it will be a mistake to plaster any more old documentation. Use Kerry's voice on audio tape, use anything more palpable than old papers. Maybe a case can be made with old documents, but I think they run a risk of a backlash or even indifference. I'm no PR person, but that's just a feeling I had.

Nonetheless, good luck to the Swifties, I stand behind them 100 percent and I believe them to be un-impeachable. I hope they have an excellent tactician helping them along in their most critical hour that surely is ahead of them.

reconflyer
jim692
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes reconflyer, you're on target with this concern. Every minute there's a ongoing rash of Bush / TexANG stories, the spotlight is off of the Swifties and their message. Right now, there's 6 stories about Rather-gate on Drudge and not one on Kerry / SBVFT items. Seems like a red herring to throw off the hound dogs until the trail gets cold. Then the opposition will rant that anything new from this group is "old news" and previously discredited. Makes my want to double my donation.

This also may indicate the extent that the Swifties have been successful. I suspect the Dems realize Kerry's chances are now pretty slim but what they cannot allow is it to spill over into other races. If the stink gets on JFK real bad, it might also spread out of control too. And they can't allow that.

Jim
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have posted basically the same thing on 2 other threads. It does not matter if this is all lies, IT IS STOPPING THE FOCUS ON KERRYS VEITNAM ANTI AMERICAN ACTIVITES..
Can't wait for new ad-hope it is a HOT ONE b/c we need to deflect from this talking about the Guard service. It is tiring. If this was the dnc's plan, IT WORKED. The msm is not now focused on the SBV and I feel like they need to do somethig, and somethng BIG to get the spotlight
back on them.
I do not feel the rally got enought coverage. Why? those D*** forged memos.
I agree, stop using old documentation, use pic films Kerry's own voice, and pic of him and the commy leader, anythign showing him for what he is. The average person has a very short attention span, and to capture it, u need pics and film and audio. Old papers a give me a headache. i know they appeal to certain persons, but not to your average voter. We need somethign like AD # 2-it was a KILLER, kerry 's own vice spewing hate toward his fellow soliders.. that was the best ad i have ever seen.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To think that Swift-Vets could hold the platform of an US Presidential Election for 5 straight weeks would be unthought of just 2 months ago. But that is what happened.

To think that Swift-vets would be the only issue as we get to the election is not reasonable.

A new Ad comes out Thursday or Friday....It's impossible to think the Swift Boat Veterans Message as being more well received by the American Voter than it has been.

America still wants Kerry to answer...and Reporters are fully aware that Kerry has ducked the questions.

The want to further their careers at this point....they all know one of them is going make Kerry answer some questions.....at this rate....Kerry may stonewall until debates.

Regardless the Swift-vet message is working and active....its just not the only hot story.... its still very much out there.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. I went to the Navy Archives on Monday and read the originals of the document John O'Neill displayed on Hannity last nigh, plus many others.

In reading the documents there are things difficulty to follow, but after a while it makes sense. My look at the documents indicated to me that Kerry's boat did not go on many missions. This bothered me. Then I went back to UFC and there it was on page 44, (I paraphrase) Kerry is whining about being on a dangerous assignment (not motoring up and down the ocean coast like "JFK - PT109) -- so he was basically assigned to shore patrols.

I think there is a way to explain this to the American public that holds their interest. The records are at the Navy Archives (original documents).
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: MemoGate Distraction? Reply with quote

Even though the SBVT message has been on the back burner for about two weeks now, it HAS been effective! The ad using the POWs was playing on cable during the Republican convention, and suddenly Kerry is down in the polls.

So Kerry and his minions decide that if SBVT attacks Kerry's Vietnam record, they should attack Bush's National Guard record, but since they don't have 60 eyewitnesses like SBVT do, they made up some documents attributed to a dead man, and very hastily go on "60 Minutes".

Then they found out that haste makes waste. If the forger had taken an hour or so to think clearly, he/she would have looked at Bush's actual records on the Web and used the same font to type "Killian's" new "old" memos in evenly-spaced ragged-right, and it would have taken some detailed National Guard nitpickers to detect the fraud. But they rushed this to meet the "60 Minutes" deadline using default settings on Microsoft Word, and everybody who ever used a typewriter in the early 1970's (including non-military people) knew they were fakes. Now their credibility is shot, so even if they did come up with a more-realistic-looking fake document, people will be VERY skeptical.

Now, 7 weeks before the election, Kerry is way behind in crucial states (FL, OH, WI, MO), PA and NJ (won by Gore) are looking shaky, lots of people suspect that someone from the Kerry campaign committed a fraud, and tomorrow a new SBVT ad will come out. The perfect storm in Kerryville...

It seems like SBVT has Kerry right where we want him--it's time to finish him off !!!
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: IMHO ... Reply with quote

I feel the CBS fraud will help the SBVT story ... Why ...

It makes people focus on the "offical records". From this point forward Kerry will be faced with "Have all your records been produced ?" questions ... he will get more 180 questions now ... and everytime he says the lie, "all records released" the reporters will trot out the WaPo line that there are at least 94 pages hidden ... (Like Imus did this am ...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: