SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Were shore raids SOP for Swiftboats?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevieboy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Were shore raids SOP for Swiftboats? Reply with quote

We have all seen Kerry walking in the woods with his M-16. Was this a typical operation for a swift crew? Did they engage in this kind of activity some of the time, most of the time?

If this is Johnnie goes to Hollywood as most on this board contend; I ask, where did he get the time to make these movies? Was there a duty rotation that gave him time off to take a boat out to the woods and make these films?

I was a Cold Warrior on a frigate in the late 70s. As a division officer I did not have the time to create exciting movies, and I wasn't even fighting a war.

Just curious on others take on this.
duhaast
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Stay in the river. Reply with quote

I am not a Swiftie, nor an expert in tactics, but I have read it stated thusly:

A Swift has serious armament with it's twin .50's, aft combo .50/mortar, .30 M-60, and crew M-16's and M-79's.

When you put men ashore, your use of those arms is severely limited, and all you gain is M-16's on the beach.

It really seems like a no-brainer.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any shore ops we ever undertook involved taking troops aboard, depositing them somewhere and then standing off to support them with mortar fire and the 50's. The PCF crew DID NOT leave the boat unattended to join in. That would have been counter to the boat's mission.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Any shore ops we ever undertook involved taking troops aboard, depositing them somewhere and then standing off to support them with mortar fire and the 50's. The PCF crew DID NOT leave the boat unattended to join in. That would have been counter to the boat's mission.

It would also have been a good way to have a boat stolen by Charlie. Talk about a "bad neighborhood."
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: