SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A time to stand up and be heard.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: A time to stand up and be heard. Reply with quote

I posted here yesterday and indicated I was not a veteran and didn’t feel worthy or qualified to post.

I was 8 years old in 1968 and I’m too old to sign up now. I’m searching my soul and wondering if I would have had the guts. I love my country but soldiering is a mighty brave thing to undertake.

But there is something I can do now. I live in New York City for crying out loud. What is stopping me from making a sign and standing out front of the morning news shows?

A sign that reads RATHER LIED or CBS IS TRYING TO STEAL THE ELECTION or KERRY SIGN 180 or STOP SMEARING THE SWIFT BOAT VETS or something like that? All of the important national cable news programs and the ABC networks are all within walking distance of each other on 6th Avenue, around Rockefellar Center and in Time Square.

I’m off work on Wednesday and Thursday. I’m going to do it.

I’m inviting anyone in the city or thereabout to join me.

If anyone is interested and has a plan of attack I’m willing to listen to it.

Otherwise I’m just going to get up early (5-6am) and play it by ear.
leeinwv
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for you
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_nyc, absolutely marvelous idea! If I lived in NY, I'd be joining you!!!
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: A time to stand up and be heard. Reply with quote

jim_nic wrote:
...wondering if I would have had the guts....

Get used to it, you'll never know. Because I did my hitch between Korea and Vietnam, I'll never know either. That's why I have more than the ordinary respect for those who did prove they had the guts, especially these guys who are called to prove it again. In any event, you don't have to prove your guts to be a patriot unless you're called. It's clear to all of us that if your words are genuine, you're a patriot. Don't worry about it.
manelly
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hopeful did that a few weeks ago. Some of us saw him on Fox and Friends. It was great! I'll see if I can find the link for you.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our other members did this for several days last month.

The most important thing is to make the lettering very heavy and black and legible, because the windows are tinted.

The lines of the lettering should be a couple of inches wide - much heavier than even those "Super Sharpie" markers.

Good luck!
manelly
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is one of the links http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=24827&highlight=#24827
ATACKM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Have you heard of Protest Warriors? These guys have some very cool signs available but the best part is there tutorial on making signs. Here is the link and good luck. Oh yeah, you will need Adobe Acrobat to view this but it is a great source for making top quality signs. http://www.protestwarrior.com/sign_how_to/PW_sign_tutorial.pdf
http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
chayes
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, probably too much for a poster, but "The Kerry Campaign Died, the Day Dan Rather Lied....!" Now is someone can put that to the music of American Pie, that would be even better.
Jazzoi
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A time to stand up and be heard. Reply with quote

jim_nyc wrote:
I was not a veteran and didn’t feel worthy or qualified to post.

jim, the war affected you too, as it did all of us. I was in High School in the early seventies and I had the draft to look forward to. If anybody ever thinks you don't have the right to speak because you didn't serve, they're simply full of ****.

Fortunately, I had the benefit of listening to the stories of the GI's who had already returned from VN (stationed in Ft. Hood when my father returned from there), so I got what I consider to be the REAL story, not the Dan Blather version of it.

But I don't mind telling you, I was scared to go. As luck would have it, I didn't go, but that does NOT mean that I have to remain silent about it, niether do you.

I'll be looking for you on TV if you'll tell us when you plan to do it.
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_nyc- good luck! What an awesome idea! You WILL be serving your country - welcome to the *true* "protectors of freedom" gang! Cool

here's a thought - you could use the "PM" button on "hopeful"s msg that was linked here & send him a private message (which sends him an email) & maybe he can join you. Just an idea. Thanks for having the guts to do this! Know that we all will be cheering you on & supporting you! Very Happy
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm nyc,

YOU GO MAN ! We'll be watching for you ! No matter you aren't a vet... you're standing up for the vets that fought in Vietnam and were betrayed by Kerry! If we don't support our veterans, who will????? We don't want to lose the Iraqi war 'politically'..... as the dems would have us do (I know there are many good dems.... I'm meaning those like Kerry, Kennedy, dean etc)

maybe others in the area will join you.... but it doesn't matter.... maybe you should make up a few flyers to hand out? each 'one' person can make a big difference!
maybe you'll even end up on FOX and our military in Iraq will see you on it!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips.

I was just outside Fox Studios for the Hanity and Colmes show.

I had a sign that said "SBVT are Honest" on one side and "NYC (hearts) SBVT" on the other.

I knew it was a long shot that it could be seen because at night even if they point the camera at the window you just can't see out. But Sean turned around and gave me a thumbs up. And a few people - 5 - on the street gave me verbal encouragement and one guy high fived and said he had read the book. No negative comments which I was anticipating ..being New York and all...

I intend to do this tomorrow in front of CNN especially and out front of CBS's office building which is right across the street, with some "CBS Come Clean" signs. I'll swing by Fox as well and maybe NBC and ABC.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support!!!!! I am glad that you got some positive responses. I tend to wonder if sometimes these polls are only close to keep the election coverage alive...if it was already a landslide then the news media would have nothing to talk about.

Let us know how your respsonses are tomorrow.

What we do today...helps the troops of today. If we can keep John Kerry from being their CIC we will have done a good thing!
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I did it.

I focused on the CBS phony documents angle because it occurred to me that one guy with a sign on the streets of NYC comes of like kind of a kook. So I didn’t want to implicate SBVT by loose association.

I spent most of my time at CNN. They tried to run me off but I insisted I was on public property. However, the director simply switched cameras when ever I moved near a shot.

I stood outside the CBS executive building, also known as Black Rock for some time.

And I was outside Fox and Friends for a little while. I was pretty sure that my signs were seen for a brief moment. One read “SBVT ARE HONEST” and the other read “CBS COME CLEAN. On the opposite side of the CBS sign I had written “SEE B. S.” That got thumbs up from Brian Kilmead and later by John Scott when his show started.

I got positive encouragement from a cop and couple of other passersby. But New Yorkers are fairly nonplussed in general and mostly in a hurry to get to where they are going. Folks did read the signs though and some smiled.

Two individuals engaged me in brief disagreement. Even though they were separate incidents both gentlemen had Caribbean accents. Even though I may disagree with their positions I certainly appreciate that they are engaged and aware of the issues. One fellow told me simply Bush deserved it. I asked him if he was in favor of Soviet Style journalism but he was not swayed.

Bottom line I’m rethinking my efforts to try and help SBVT beyond financial assistance because as I said at the top one guy with a sign is probably more harmful than helpful.

I had fun though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: