SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Article on ABCNews about Bloggosphere.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Article on ABCNews about Bloggosphere. Reply with quote

ABC has this article posted today:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Business/SiliconInsider/SiliconInsider-1.html

He makes a lot of good points, but I think he misses the biggest one of all - the bloggosphere is a labor of love, not a business model. Millions of people can afford to blog since the cost to each individual is small. The bloggosphere dosen't need paid professionals, it will never be a business that makes money. The last thing we need is more "Professional" journalists. Peer review is the vetting process we use - imagine if the MSM peer reviewed all of its output! Sure we are noisy, but that is what real debate is like. This is a new frontier and we are all in the Wild West. It remains to be seen how all this will turn out but I beleive the end result will be good for our Republic.
syber
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the term he coined "The Pajama Press".
syber
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the term he coined "The Pajama Press".
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: another theory ... Reply with quote

I look at the Blogsphere as an informal research department for some of the MSM outlets like Fox and talk radio. In a very short time (matter of hours sometimes) the bloggers can initate, research, vette and verify a story that then gets a nod in that nights Fox broadcast and maybe a op-ed article in a major paper the next day.

I am not dismissing the fact that many bloggers have a loyal following but since alot of folks that get their news on the internet just use the "news" pages on Yahoo, MSN etc once an article posts a link to a bloggers site the audience for the blogshere grows.

Last edited by FF1047 on Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true, FFandthennumbers. For example--have you ever coined a term and then heard it repeated on Rush the next day? I mean, these people have to get their ideas somewhere, and what better place than on BB's like this one?

If I were running for Prez I would have people monitoring these sites, both the ones for me, and the ones against me. I would then be able to get out in front of the Old Media reports, and do a better job controlling the view.

MSM is just miffed because the bloggers are on the cutting edge and they are left to trail in the wake. The Old Media is dead; all that is left is for them to lie still.

Maybe they should ban together and ask to be allowed to join the EU. Old Europe, old Media--a perfect match.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: another theory ... Reply with quote

FF1047 wrote:
I look at the Blogsphere as an informal research department for some of the MSM outlets like Fox and talk radio. In a very short time (matter of hours sometimes) the bloggers can iniated, research, vette and verify a story that then gets a nod in that nights Fox broadcast and maybe a op-ed article in a major paper the next day.

Agreed, the blogosphere is really just a "force multiplier".

If a 100 people see a nifty post, and start researching it, already you have 96 more researchers than MSM would donate to a story. But if they are in different parts of the country, and research differently, they tap areas that the MSM could not posibly cover in 6 months of groundwork. They alos are looking at thousands of others research.
Diversity and numbers, is the key.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: