SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shipping to Army Bootcamp Next week
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mateo_g
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Shipping to Army Bootcamp Next week Reply with quote

Its been real enlightening following the Swift Vets For Truth over the last few months. I ship off to bootcamp on the 29th of September, - just over a week from now. I've enlisted for 6 years (I'm 28 now), and don't know where I'll be stationed, but I do know I'm doing bootcamp at Ft. Benning and AIT at Ft. Gordon.

The election this year will take place while I'm still at basic, and I'm wondering what kind of access do rookies get while there? I live in Florida, a battleground state, I am voting via absentee, and I'd like to know if my home county (yes I live in Palm Beach) screws up again =)

I'm nervous yet excited about going to Basic. I know I'll be a better man for it, I just hope my beer gut doesn't get in the way (I'm sure they'll find a way for me to loose it hah). Is basic as tough as many would have you believe - or is it easy if you work your but off?
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for Enlisting and good luck!! What is your MOS going to be?
Didn't know they were doing BCT at Benning now, been a while since I went through Ft Beginnings School for Wayward Boys! Laughing
P.S. hope you got Airborne in your Contract!!
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for enlisting and serving this great nation.

And take care of yourself and God bless!!!

Cool Medics, we're there when you need us.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

Don't let him kid ya, mateo, he's STILL a wayward boy! Wink

Fair winds and following seas- best of luck to you!!

HOOOOAH!!!!!

Duck back in when you get through training. Smile
Redleg
Lt.Jg.

Good luck there Mateo. Keep in mind that many millions have gone before you and made it through OK.
All units have really great people and I'm sure you will meet many great friends there, however if you require to work with family...GO Airborne....they're in tight with each other and will always watch your back. Very Happy
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never said I wasn't still Wayward LOL!! Heck I have even been described as ... umm nevermind, not feeding Triple N any more ammo!
Redleg, you have that right about Family! Attended a Re-Union with most of the Brothers I served with in the 82d. Lost a couple of them along the way and it sucked finding out. It truely is like losing a brother.
Anyhow...
keefer fm MD
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless you mateo, and Godspeed! I don't know how hard your boot camp will be; I was fortunate enough to attend the Air Force "summer camp" back in 1976--it was hard enough for me, but looking back, it pales in comparison to what the Marines go through. And I'm sure the Army's ain't no picnic either. I don't know much about the Navy's, although I served with a lot of good sailors during my career. I was in intel for 15 of my 20 years, what the Navy would call a T-brancher--now an R-brancher, I think.

Anyway, just work your butt off, Mateo, and you should get rid of that beer gut in no time. Then, once you're finished with boot camp, you can work on another one.

Once again, thanks for going to serve during these difficult time; you are a true patriot.

Swiftvets rock!
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry provides a lessons to everyone going into the military - lessons about what not to do. First, real heroes don't have to tell everybody that they are heroes. Second, your shipmates rely on you and you rely on your shipmates. Don't turn your back on them, don't stab them in the back. Third, be loyal and your fellow veterans will be loyal. Fourth, your actions whether good or bad will never be forgotten by those around you.

On that last point - Kerry was in Vietnam less than four months. If he had been an average or good shipmate it is very unlikely that those around him would have many specific memories of him after 35 years. To make the type of impression that Kerry made in so short of a period, you have to be extrordinary - but not in a good way.

Lastly, your true character shows under stress. What type of character did Kerry show?
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck in bootcamp and your next assignments. I went through Navy bootcamp in 1975, back when it was easy. I still had a hard time, basically because I am a wimp. Attitude is everything.
ashter
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mateo

You should be able to apply for an absentee ballot while in bootcamp. My husband was an MTI and he says every unit should have a voting rep to help you get set up.

Good luck and please be safe....and don't let the mental games get to you Smile

take care
BigAl533
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck.

Can't tell ya what Army boot camp is like, but I'll bet you won't have to decide whether to work your butt off or not. The beergut is history, too.

I hope for your sake Army chow is better than Marine chow. You will be suprised what you will eat, I was so hungry I ate one night, as usual in about 35 seconds. Later, one of the guys asked another what he thought of the liver we had for chow. That was the first and last time I ever ate liver in my life, and I didn't even notice.

Rule of thumb... It's tough, but think of all the guys who made it before. If they get to remembering your name, it's gonna be tougher. Do what your told and try not to get noticed.

Army, Navy Air Force, Marines... We're all supporting you and trying our best to see that you don't get Kerry for a CinC.

Big Al
mateo_g
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support everyone Very Happy !

My MOS is 25B, Information Systems Operator, aka, computer nerd. I've worked on computers my whole life and I wanted to offer my expertise to this great country of ours.

At the Miami MEPS center, they kinda rushed me through the paperwork, and I think I may have missed my chance to sign up for Airborne training. I'd love to jump out of planes, so is this something I can get into at a later date?

And as for voting - I'm still trying to get my girlfriend registerd to vote. She is Cuban (and I am as Irish as can be! Florida sun can be rough on meh), and although most all Cuban folks here in South Florida vote Republican - her dad is a lawyer in D.C. who works for the Kerry Campaign. I **** you not! But the good news is that my GF thinks Kerry is a real boob.

Anyway, that is a whole nother story. She'll probably become more politically active once she realizes how much of an impact voting has on her Army boyfriend.

Cheers!
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mateo_g wrote:
I'd love to jump out of planes...

...that are still capable of flying??? Shocked

Best of luck! Wink

Sincerely,

Scott
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and thank you for volunteering.
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mateo_g,

Well done! You're on your way to an adventure you will gain from for the rest of your life. Lessons learned will stand you in good stead regardless of your choice to stay or go after the first four.

Congratulations, and thank you for steppin' up to th' plate... too many your age seem to regard Honorable service to country as an option to be shunned. You'll meet folk you would otherwise never know; some good, some not-so good but you'll come out the other end with friends and memories you'd not trade for the world on a plate. You will afterward recognize/ be recognized by others with the same experience just about anyplace you go. A tremendous brotherhood, believe me. All in all a good deal.

As for the Basic experience; I had a "six week vacation" at Lackland, TX (USAF) in 1970 so I've no comparator... but even that put us in better shape than before and more importantly: it establishes the "rules" you'll need to know. And beer ain't illegal in th' service, just Basic ;-}

Thanks again, and Via con Dios!

"The flames kindled on the fourth of July, seventeen hundred and seventy six, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism." -- Thomas Jefferson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: