SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snake Oil Sellers Exploit Reagan's Death

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Snake Oil Sellers Exploit Reagan's Death Reply with quote

Those who advocate embryonic stem cell research are as bad as snake oil peddlers. They prey on people with dread diseases by falsely implying that their research is essential for treating such diseases. They are currently attempt to exploit the death of former President Ronald Reagan to raise money for research that may have little potential value.

In many cases including Alzheimer’s stem cell(adult or embryonic) treatments might have no therapeutic value than snake oil. Even if stem cells are found to be of value for brain related disorders, embryonic stem cells are unnecessary because scientists can already produce brain neural cells from the patient’s own adult stem cells.

The theory behind embryonic stem cells is badly flawed. Scientists already know that embryonic cells don’t produce all the different specialized cells in spite of claims by supporters that embryonic cells can produce any cell.. Most specialized cell types are not produced until long after the embryonic stage has passed. Many probably require that other specialized cells develop first

Scientists have been using adult stem cell based treatments for years. Scientists were using stem cells to produce new skin before they even knew that specialized stem cells existed. I had an operation to repair a large hernia six years ago. The surgeon placed a piece of plastic over the hole to serve as a scaffold for new muscle cells to grow from my own stem cells.

Bone marrow transplants are adult stem cell treatments. Stem cells from cord blood are being used to treat children with leukemia. Scientists can produce new corneas from adult stem cells.

Liver transplants are increasingly relying on adult stem cells to grow additional liver cells so that a single donor liver can be divided among several patients or a portion of the liver from a living donor can be transplanted. Scientists have successfully divided a pancreas among several Type I diabetes patients whose immune system had been zapped to end its attack on the pancreas. It is too early to tell if this treatment might also work using a portion of a living donor pancreas.

links to sites dealing with some of the uses of adult stem cells are available at
http://reasonmclucus.tripod.com/stemcell_504.html
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, look....

The main reason you are objecting to stem cell research is because it ties into the abortion issue and you are anti-abortion.

Don't p¡ss all over good and important science, just because of your abortion views. It's intellectually dishonest.

I'd much rather see you say that you don't like stem cell research because of your abortion views than to put out false propaganda about stem cell research being junk science.

That's the last I'm going to comment on this subject or this thread, because it's outside of the scope of this board. I only made THIS comment because I didn't want the false information you posted to go unchallenged.
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so.
ST1
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Snake Oil Sellers Exploit Reagan's Death Reply with quote

jalexson wrote:
Those who advocate embryonic stem cell research are as bad as snake oil peddlers. They prey on people with dread diseases by falsely implying that their research is essential for treating such diseases. They are currently attempt to exploit the death of former President Ronald Reagan to raise money for research that may have little potential value.

In many cases including Alzheimer’s stem cell(adult or embryonic) treatments might have no therapeutic value than snake oil. Even if stem cells are found to be of value for brain related disorders, embryonic stem cells are unnecessary because scientists can already produce brain neural cells from the patient’s own adult stem cells.

The theory behind embryonic stem cells is badly flawed. Scientists already know that embryonic cells don’t produce all the different specialized cells in spite of claims by supporters that embryonic cells can produce any cell.. Most specialized cell types are not produced until long after the embryonic stage has passed. Many probably require that other specialized cells develop first

Scientists have been using adult stem cell based treatments for years. Scientists were using stem cells to produce new skin before they even knew that specialized stem cells existed. I had an operation to repair a large hernia six years ago. The surgeon placed a piece of plastic over the hole to serve as a scaffold for new muscle cells to grow from my own stem cells.

Bone marrow transplants are adult stem cell treatments. Stem cells from cord blood are being used to treat children with leukemia. Scientists can produce new corneas from adult stem cells.

Liver transplants are increasingly relying on adult stem cells to grow additional liver cells so that a single donor liver can be divided among several patients or a portion of the liver from a living donor can be transplanted. Scientists have successfully divided a pancreas among several Type I diabetes patients whose immune system had been zapped to end its attack on the pancreas. It is too early to tell if this treatment might also work using a portion of a living donor pancreas.

links to sites dealing with some of the uses of adult stem cells are available at
http://reasonmclucus.tripod.com/stemcell_504.html

Would you please to renounce your accusation regarding Nancy Reagan?
I cannot believe that anyone would intentionally vilfy her like this right now.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nancy Reagan plea on stem cells
Ronald Reagan is suffering the advanced stages of Alzheimer's disease
Former US First Lady Nancy Reagan has urged the Bush administration to support embryonic stem cell research.

Mrs Reagan said too much time had been wasted already discussing the issue.

She is said to believe the research could lead to a cure for Alzheimer's disease, which has afflicted her husband, Ronald Reagan.

The Bush administration has blocked public funding of this type of research because of his party's ethical reservations about embryo research.

At a fundraising dinner for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in Hollywood, Mrs Reagan said her husband was now in "a distant place where I can no longer reach him".

"I just don't see how we can turn our backs on this... We have lost so much time already. I just really can't bear to lose any more."

She said she believed stem cell research "may provide our scientists with many answers that for so long have been beyond our grasp".

It is thought to be the first time that Mrs Reagan has made a public speech on the issue, although her views have long been known.

Political debate

Mrs Reagan is the latest high-profile figure to criticise the Bush administration for its decision to limit funding for stem cell research.

Actor Michael J. Fox praised Mrs Reagan for "taking the issue out of politics"
Former Superman actor Christopher Reeve, left severely disabled following a riding accident, and actor Michael J. Fox, who is suffering from Parkinson's disease, have both criticised the Bush administration for blocking research which they believe could improve their conditions.

Currently federal funds are not available for this type of work.

Mr Bush has told scientists he will not release US taxpayers' money for the production or investigation of new lines because it involves the destruction of human embryos.

Correspondents say that with the Bush administration and anti-abortion groups strongly opposed to stem cell research, Mrs Reagan's comments add a powerful conservative Republican voice to the debate.
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST1 you are entitled to your opinion, and so is jalexson. I read his post very carefully, and see no insult towards Nancy Reagan.

Very Happy

Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Snake Oil Sellers Exploit Reagan's Death Reply with quote

ST1 wrote:

Would you please to renounce your accusation regarding Nancy Reagan?
I cannot believe that anyone would intentionally vilfy her like this right now.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

She is said to believe the research could lead to a cure for Alzheimer's disease, which has afflicted her husband, Ronald Reagan.

The advocates of embryonic stem cells are taking advantage of Nancy Reagan and many others to con them into supporting research that may be a waste of time and money. Researchers are already treating people with adult stem cells. Embryonic stem cells are unnecessary.

One of the leading experts on Alzheimer's says that stem cells(adult or embryonic) are unlikely to be of value in treating Alzheimer's.

“'I just think everybody feels there are higher priorities for seeking effective treatments for Alzheimer’s disease and for identifying preventive strategies,'” said Marilyn Albert, a Johns Hopkins University researcher who chairs the Medical and Scientific Advisory Council of the Alzheimer’s Association.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5190110/
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakona wrote:
OK, look....

The main reason you are objecting to stem cell research is because it ties into the abortion issue and you are anti-abortion.

Don't p¡ss all over good and important science, just because of your abortion views. It's intellectually dishonest.

I'd much rather see you say that you don't like stem cell research because of your abortion views than to put out false propaganda about stem cell research being junk science.

That's the last I'm going to comment on this subject or this thread, because it's outside of the scope of this board. I only made THIS comment because I didn't want the false information you posted to go unchallenged.

My views have nothing to do with abortion although that is the only reason many people support embryonic stem cells over adult stem cells which are already being used to cure people. Most of those who support embryonic stem cell research don't even understand what they are talking about. That's why they use the term "stem cell research" instead of "embryonic stem cell research" when talking about what they support.

Adult stem cells have numerous advantages.
1. Adult stem cell treatment for many disorders are already being used.
2. They can use your own cells which eliminates the need to find a match to your system.
3. They have a cost advantage. Embryonic cells cannot be stored. A match will first have to be found for each patient and then a labor intensive process of producing cells in a sterile environment.
4. One of the reasons for aging is that as we get older we lose the ability to replace damaged cells. Finding a way to activate our adult stem cells will allow a slowing of the aging process
5. Medical treatments typically take 15-20 years to develop. Embryonic stem cell treatments will thus not be available for many years.
-- Mark Twain
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had a still born and I'll be dammed if anyone is going to masacre the body for research. Yes I am against abortion except in the most extreme cases, rape, incest, life threatening, or major deformaties of the child. But these people are waiting for a baby to hack up, and even soliciting women for abortions to get the carcass. I support good science but this is not it. We have the ability to clone cells so lets clone stem cells from another source. I have sympathy for Nancy Reagan as we all know the hell she went through, my Mother died from cancer and it is a worse hell than I ever want to see again. But I am not willing to sacrifice a baby because she died from it. We all are angry when we lose someone to a disease like this, and feel that there should be an answer, but there is not. We can't even cure the common cold. Semper Fi.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: