SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

President Bush did not serve in the military?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike5098
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: President Bush did not serve in the military? Reply with quote

On my AOL Broadband Wednesday night, there was a link to www.presidentmatch.com. I thought it looked interesting, so off I go and what do I find? President Bush had no military service.

After serving in the Marines and then the Army National Guard, I kind of considered both as military service. So I have spent my time since, trying to contact AOL and TIME, trying to get this corrected with no success.

I then contacted Fox News. (Left voice-mail) No reply. CNN. (Decided to just hang up) MSNBC. No reply. Drudge. No reply. Vietnam Vets against John Kerry. No reply??

I guess I should have skipped all that typing and phoning and just start this post.

If someone who knows what they are doing will go to this site, check out the comparison between Kerrry and Bush, then link this for others, it would be appreciated.

Last edited by mike5098 on Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Viator
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Bush--no military duty? Reply with quote

I just took that survey, and I saw that it stated that President Bush had not been in the military. I know that as a retired Navy pilot we sometimes wondered if the Air Force and ANG were really part of the military Laughing but we never meant it.
Minimar
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: In these times, I believe Everyone is in the Military Reply with quote

In these times, I believe 'Everyone' is in the Military...
And maybe, that's the way it should have (and should be) been during Vietnam. The 'Battle' for "Freedom and Liberty for All!"! MY PROBLEM IS that it is not important 'who' was on first base or 'who' was on third ... THE FACT IS John Kerry (on whatever base he pretended to be) confessed to personally committing 'War Crimes' ... 'dereliction of duty in not following the Geneva Convention as an Officer' ... disobeying orders (and risking his boat and crew) by leaving his 'Boat and Crew' to enter village areas on shore against orders ... obviously played the game of '3 Purple Hearts' to go AWOL from the 'War Zone' ... obviously wrote his own Heroic Citations and Foundations for Honor in receiving his 'Decorations' (someone who threatens a fellow Vietnam Vet to risk all lying before the Congress on behalf of this same persons 'political ambitions' can't be trusted to tell the 'Truth' about 'Valor and Honor in Combat') ... and SLANDERED AND DEFAMED NOT ONLY VIETNAM'S COMBAT VETS, BUT ALL MILITARY PERSONNEL AND THE US GOVERNMENT THEY FOUGHT FOR as American Citizens ... and on ... and on... provoking 'How many suicides?' ... 'How many alcoholics?'... 'How many drug addicts?' ... How many ... 'Rambo' ... accused of killing babies in a bar ... that went to prison? ... and so on!!!!

This is the REAL ISSUE of 'john kerry'!
Thanks for listening!
Gregg
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know that as a retired Navy pilot we sometimes wondered if the Air Force and ANG were really part of the military

Hey, hey, rust-picker, be careful there. Wink
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Quote:
I know that as a retired Navy pilot we sometimes wondered if the Air Force and ANG were really part of the military

Thats isn't the half of it. In the Navy "airdales" aren't even considered part of the Navy.

Sam
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider the Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States of America to be the highest military duty possible. Only God outranks the Commander-In-Chief USA. If I were using the old Navy 4.0 maximum possible scale for quarterly remarks, I would rate George W. Bush a 5.0 on his first four years.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Military Service Reply with quote

If some think the NG had a hard time convincing others then take a look at the Coast Guard - the nations oldest continuous sea service (1790) partook in every US war and got ???? when mentioned as the 5th Service

Semper Paratus - translated to english - Simply Forgot Us
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true. I'm always disappointed by the number of people (some of whom ought to know better) that don't know that the U.S. Coast Guard is part of the U.S. Armed Forces.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle The Hun wrote:
Wing Wiper wrote:
Quote:

Thats isn't the half of it. In the Navy "airdales" aren't even considered part of the Navy.

Sam

they made that plain enough whenever they were allowed up on the flight deck to worship "that bright orb up there" (the sun?) Laughing
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Coast Guard and the Swifties Reply with quote

Roger Rabbit-

"
Quote:
"If some think the NG had a hard time convincing others then take a look at the Coast Guard - the nations oldest continuous sea service (1790) partook in every US war and got ???? when mentioned as the 5th Service

Since this is a "SwiftVets" web site - the Swifties were part of Coastal Force One - as was Coast Guard Squadron One (The Inner Market Time unit with the 82 foot "Point Class" patrol gunboats) . Also, I have heard - from my CG friends - that about 10%-20% of the Swift Boats were manned by CG crews.

My own experience was that the CG did the "Shipbuilding Superintendent" work for the Navy at Stewart Ship Building (sp?) in the Louisiana Bayous where the Swift Boats were built. (I spent a little bit of time at Todd Shipyards in Pascagoula MS for my "tour out of specialty" where I got an earful from the CG folks about Coastal Force One and Point class cutters and Swift boats and more then I wanted to know about "metacentric heights" and "sea keeping" etc. of Point class cutters and Swift boats).

Their problem is an image problem - the Coast Guard is like a medium size city "Public Safety Department" out west - where every "Public Safety Officer" is a cop and a firefighter and an EMT.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Coast Guard, the 7th largest navy in the world and whose manpower is exceeded in numbers by the New York police department. (35,000 on average)

You see them in the news now and again doing rescues, drug busts, alien interdiction. You rarely see them or can tell who they are when it comes to the Iraq war now or Desert Shield back in '90. Shoot, one movie even had an actor saying "If I wanted to be safe, I would have joined the Coast Guard."

Try telling that last one to the kids who do at sea boardings of vessels - no idea what they'll find or run into. Some likened it to a traffic stop where the cop approaches the car, climbs into the rear passenger seat, and THEN does the interview.

No, the Coast Guard is a "real" military service with a long tradition of service. Semper Paratus may be the motto, but the catch phrase that coasties adhere to is: "They have to go out, but not come back."

In Memory of Damage Controlman 3rd Class Nathan B. Bruckenthal

Any man or woman who puts on a uniform, regardless of the branch or type of service, acknowledges and affirms their committment to the nation and its principles. To quote Milton "They also serve who stand and wait." Those on the pointy end of the stick understand this and know that without the backing of others they could not do their job.

And yes, I'm a retired coastie and damn proud of it.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Coast Guard and the Swifties Reply with quote

PigBoatAndy wrote:
Also, I have heard - from my CG friends - that about 10%-20% of the Swift
Boats were manned by CG crews.

My own experience was that the CG did the "Shipbuilding Superintendent"
work for the Navy at Stewart Ship Building (sp?) in the Louisiana Bayous
where the Swift Boats were built.

It is true that the Navy and the Coast Guard worked very closely in Vietnam
in both the coastal interdiction campaign and SEALORDS. "Coasties" even
held command positions over some US Naval units ... eg Admiral Lonsdale.

Joint operations with USCG Officers-in-Command were common: Duc Pho 1968.

However, no Coast Guard personnel were assigned to Swift Boats. And no
Navy personnel were assigned to Coast Guard vessels such as the 82 foot
cutters. Single mission indoctrination? Yes. Permanent assignments? No

But we Swifties certainly did appreciate all the support provided by the USCG
units. Especially from the offshore USCG cutters with their much larger guns

...................................... See The Owasco Chronicles ......................................

....................... .......................

And the manufacture of Swift Boats at Sewart Seacraft in Morgan City, LA was
done under the supervision of the US Navy Bureau of Ships. No USCG oversight

Like all services, the Navy and the Coast Guard have an ongoing friendly rivalry.

But when it comes down to pushing and shoving, they co-operate beautifully

jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Too true. I'm always disappointed by the number of people (some of whom ought to know better) that don't know that the U.S. Coast Guard is part of the U.S. Armed Forces.

I haven't checked the currrent administrative setup, but at one time the Coast Guard was under the Secretary of the Treasury. However, I would consider them part of the Armed Forces because they protect the coastline as well as occasionally serving in wars and pulling people out of storm tossed seas.

I wonder what today's NG's would say about "not being in the military."
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks for correction Reply with quote

RB Shirley- Thanks for the correction. My info was based on spending three days with some Coasties at a SNAME Conference in New Orleans - and an invite to visit their "Morgan City" office. We had a bunch of Coasties at Ingalls - but they seemed to involved with commerial super tankers etc.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute. I went through the questionaire, taking care to express no opinion on anything. The result? It ranked Kerry as my first choice for President.

Makes sense to me. He has no opinion on anything too. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: