SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABC Objects to Use of Kerry Footage in New SBVFT Ad
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAFVet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: ABC Objects to Use of Kerry Footage in New SBVFT Ad Reply with quote

Just on Drudge: ABC news is objecting to use of Kerry footage in new ad.

See: ABC News
note: Long URL converted to hypertext

SAFVet
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow guess they'll have to shutdown Michael Moore, after all look at all he has plagerised Rolling Eyes
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this about the same time you did, but you bet me to it. LOL.

Back to the point, that is just a bunch of crap. They wouldn't mind if Kerry or moveon had used it.

Stolen Honor
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the eight or ten lines of the following interview used in the ad will fall under the "Fair Use" clause. I guess we'll see, hm?

TRANSCRIPT
Transcript: ABC News' Good Morning America Interview With John Kerry

The following is a transcript of an interview with John Kerry from the April 25, 2004, broadcast of ABC News' Good Morning America.

CHARLES GIBSON [host]: Now joining us from West Virginia is himself Sen. John Kerry. He is in the town of Glen Easton, West Virginia, today. Senator, good to have you with us.

SEN. JOHN KERRY: Charlie, I'm glad to be with you. I really am.

GIBSON: [From] 1984, Senator, to the present, you have said a number of times — as recently as Friday with the Los Angeles Times, you've said a number of times that you did not throw away the Vietnam medals themselves. But now this interview from 1971 shows up in which you say that it was the medals themselves that were thrown away.

KERRY: No, I don't. That's wrong, Charlie.

GIBSON: Can you explain the discrepancy?

KERRY: Absolutely. That is absolutely incorrect. Charlie, I stood up in front of the nation. There were dozens of cameras there, television cameras. There were, I don't know, 20, 30 still photographers. Thousands of people. And I stood up in front of the country, reached into my shirt, visibly for the nation to see, and took the ribbons off my chest, said a few words and threw them over the fence. The file footage, the reporter there from The Boston Globe, everybody got it correctly. And I never asserted otherwise. What I said was, and back then, you know, ribbons, medals were absolutely interchangeable. Sen. Symington in asking me questions in the committee hearing, looked at the ribbons and said, "What are those medals?" The U.S. Navy pamphlet calls them medals. We all referred to them as the symbols, they were representing medals, ribbons. Countless veterans threw the ribbons back, Charlie. Everybody did. Veterans threw back dog tags. They threw back photographs. They threw back their DV214s. There are photographs of a pile of all of those things collected on the steps of the Capitol.

GIBSON: But —

KERRY: So the fact is that I have, I have been accurate precisely about what took place. And I am the one wholater made clear exactly what happened. I mean, it's just, this is a controversy that the Republicans are pushing, the Republicans have spent $60 million in the last few weeks trying to attack me, and this comes from a president and a Republican Party that can't even answer whether or not he showed up for duty in the National Guard. I'm not going to stand for it.

GIBSON: Well, Senator, I was there 33 years ago. I saw you throw medals over the fence and we didn't find out till later that those were …

KERRY: No, you didn't see me throw. Wrong.

GIBSON: Those were someone's medals.

KERRY: Charlie, Charlie, you're wrong. That is not what happened. I threw my ribbons across. And all you have to do is go back and find the file footage.

GIBSON: And someone else's medals? And someone else's medals, correct?

KERRY: Later, after, excuse me. Excuse me, Charlie. After the ceremony was over, I had a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart given to me, one Purple Heart by a veteran in the VA in New York and the Bronze Star by an older veteran of World War II in Massachusetts.

GIBSON: But, but …

KERRY: And I threw them over 'cause they asked me to. I never, never —

GIBSON: But, Senator, let me, let me come back to this, the thing you just said which is that the military makes no distinction —

KERRY: This is a phony, Charlie, this is a phony controversy.

GIBSON: — that the military makes no distinction, that the military makes no distinction between ribbons and medals, but you're the one who made the distinction. In 1984 —

KERRY: No. We made no distinction back then, Charlie. We made no distinction in 1971.

GIBSON: But, but 1984, Senator, I don't want to argue with you —

KERRY: Correct.

GIBSON: I just want to ask the question. In 1984, when you were running for the Senate, that was the first time that you called someone in from labor because they were upset that you had thrown ribbons away.

KERRY: No, someone from labor —

GIBSON: You called them in and you made the distinction and said, I didn't throw my medals away, I just threw the ribbons away. You made the distinction.

KERRY: I was asked specifically in greater detail about what took place. And I answered the question truthfully. Which was exactly consistent with what happened in 1971. I mean, Charlie, go back and get the file footage. There were millions of people watching on television. I stood up in front of the nation and I took my ribbons off my chest just as other veterans did. This is a phony controversy. This is being pushed yesterday by Karen Hughes of the White House on Fox. It shows up at a several different stations at the same time. The Republicans are running $10 million this week to attack my credentials on defense. This comes from a president who can't even show or prove that he showed up for duty in the National Guard. And I'm not going to stand for it.

GIBSON: I understand.

KERRY: I'm not going to stand for it.

GIBSON: I understand you're feeling that politics is behind this. But I ask you, is it not fair —

KERRY: I know politics is behind this, because —

GIBSON: Is it not fair to draw the inference that when trying to appeal to the antiwar people in 1971, you said, as in that interview, it was the medals, and then when the people who supported the war were giving you political problems, you then said, no, I didn't throw the medals away 13 years later?

KERRY: Charlie, that's the most, with all due respect, that's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Because I stood up in front of the country, in front of cameras, Tom Oliphant of The Boston Globe got it correct. He wrote about the medals, but he knew they were my ribbons. Everybody understood what we were doing. I even said in that interview that we threw away the symbols of what our country gave us for what we had gone through. And if I was, you know, back then, incidentally, trying to appeal to somebody, I stood up against Richard Nixon, stood up against the war, took a position. It wasn't popular, it was polarizing. I didn't have to do it. If I was trying to hide something, I would have never stood there in front of everybody and thrown them over the fence. I threw my ribbons over. I threw the medals of two veterans who asked me to throw them over, after the ceremony, completely separate. And I'm the one, if I have something to hide, I'm the one who made it known exactly what happened. To me, it's one in the same. And I'm proud of it.

GIBSON: Let me ask you, too, about two other things that you have said subsequent to that.

KERRY: Sure.

GIBSON: In 1985, you said to The Washington Post, "It is such a personal thing, I did not want to throw my medals away." Then, in 1996, you said to The Boston Globe, I didn't bring my own medals to throw because I didn't have time to go home and get them. Which one was it? Did you want to throw the medals away or not?

KERRY: That's accurate. I've expressed that there was great, sort of, sense of wrenching about the whole thing. Many of us, we had a long argument the night before, Charlie, it's a matter of record, as to how we were going to do it. And the vote was taken. I was not in favor of throwing them over the fence. I thought we ought to lay them on a table and put them in front of people in a way that, you know, wouldn't be as challenging to many Americans. Other veterans felt otherwise. They took a vote. The vote was made. They voted to throw. I threw my ribbons. I didn't have my medals. It's very simple. And what the Republicans are trying to do is make this into an issue because they have no record to run on. They can't go out and talk about jobs or health care or the environment. So they're going to attack 35 years ago. Last week in an unprecedented attack, they sent congressmen to the floor of the Senate, of the House, to attack me on the anniversary of my speech. George Bush has yet to explain to America whether or not, and tell the truth, about whether he showed up for duty. I'm not going to get attacked on something that I did, that is a matter of record, that the press saw, that I did in front of the entire nation, and everyone then understood. There was no distinction. We threw away the symbols of the war. I'm proud I stood up and fought against it. Proud I took on Richard Nixon. And I think, to this day, there's no distinction between the two.

GIBSON: All right. Senator, I appreciate your being with us this morning. I'm glad to have you here. Thank you.

KERRY: Thank you

Last edited by Navy_Navy_Navy on Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
spudhorse
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Earlier this week, NBC News objected to the Democratic National Committee's use of an excerpt from its Meet the Press program in a video about President Bush's National Guard service..

The DNC said that using the NBC footage was fair but that it would consider the request to delete the material.

And I think SBVT should also consider the request to delete the material. Considering until November 3 should be about right.
eXcel
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I thought there was a 'fair use' policy. It would be ridiculous if no one could re-broadcast stuff that went out over PUBLIC AIR WAVES. Ie. no audio soundbites on talk radio, no clips from other stations in news segments, no quotes in news papers? give me a break.

Related but separate rant:
Why is everyone out to squash freedom of speech? No 527's (McCain)? No dumba** moveon surrender ad (Dole)? No swiftie ad (ABC)?

The ONLY kind of political speech / money that should be limited is that which comes from non-US citizens.
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post ever on any sight. Not enough time now to introduce myself.

The contention with ABC over use of the footage is a great opportunity. Swifties should be very animated and public in their consideration of ABC's request. (Ask what parts are objectionable, repeat the text of the ad as many times as possible while discussing it, etc) The more discussion, the more the exposure. Another minimum-buy ad can thus get wide exposure.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homesteader, I like how you think. Wink
army72
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homesteader, that is a great idea. I wonder if ABC will cover the story????
You can count on cBS to attack the Swifties with Blather doing the lead in.
Sorry to say it, but I see BOR attacking them as well. His 'NO SPINE ZONE'
is in trouble also.

I think they will create many problems with their credibility if they do not allow use of those pix.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's just *brilliant* of the SBVT!

Let's see, a lawsuit... and oh, yeah! A restraining order! Yeah, one of them. And oh, oh! Coverage of the suits on the media, showing the offensive material over and over and over and over again.

You can't BUY coverage like this!
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homesteader,

that's great! free air time for SBVTS! Yeah! I hope they make a big stink about it like cbs has the W docs!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did I just hear bor say kerry wouldn't come on his show.... went on jon stewart instead? what a set up.... kerry and bor are friends.... bor afraid it'd show in the dialog?
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: ABC Objects to Use of Kerry Footage in New SBVFT Ad Reply with quote

Let ABC object and sue the SBVT the public opinion will be behind the SBVT and the election will be over before ABC can stop the airing of the ad. At least for once I have seen a journalist follow up and follow up with Kerry who has no trouble responding with a montage of reasons why the reporter may not have all the facts or a clear recollection, there are always Kerry operatives who are reporters that come to us defense. I can only conclude that Kerry is one of the best pathological liars in the Government, we need to unravel him through the psychoanalysis route.

JK
kerrlied
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Lets all Tell ABC to pound Sand! Reply with quote

Let's all let them know we want them to SHUT UP! Let the ad run the way it is. Heck its all the TRUTH.The idiot did say it.
Its so great the Rather e-mails has caused CBS news to be removed on SEVERAL radio stations around the USA TODAY.
So why not start in on ABC they are just as bad with the LIES..
Swift Boat Vetrans for thuth God bless you!
kerrlied
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Tell abc what you think? Reply with quote

This is the Link to Complain to ABC News

http://www.abcnews.go.com/service/Help/abcmail_news.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: