SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Call to Arms against MSM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Call to Arms against MSM Reply with quote

The rancor of the left-wing campaign against George Bush and the SwiftVets, along with the communications revolution of the Internet and the clear technologic incompetence of the MSM, has created a Perfect Storm. This storm has exposed a deadly-serious issue far beyond Dan Rather's incompetence as a journalist. In fact, they're all bad journalists, as they belong to a journalistic system that is terminally defective.

What needs to be understood is that it's not just CBS that is the problem, but the entire traditional media establishment. And while CBS might have committed the most egregious abuses, can one really think that ABC, NBC or PBS are any better? We need to take from this lesson more than just "Dan Rather is a bad journalist." The lesson is that the entire traditional media establishment is intellectually diseased, sclerotic and corrupt. It will be a source of harm against the American public for as long as it remains unchallenged, unrepentant, and unreformed.

The SwiftVets and the Bloggers are mounting that challenge.

The overriding issue is that any entity with great authority but without appropriate accountability will inevitably become corrupt. Yesterday CBS spokeswoman Sandy Genelius brushed off General "Buck" Staudt's comments in splendid totalitarian style: "In a debate this heated, one can hardly expect Gen. Staudt to endorse the point of view that he exerted undue influence", she said. In other words, General Staudt can hardly be expected to admit his guilt, the guilt that we at CBS "know" is true. The SwiftVets are treated similarly as "Right-wing operatives under the command of Karl Rove and the RNC" and so forth.

What, exactly, is the difference between what CBS and other networks are doing to Bush and the SwiftVets - e.g., Rather demanding that Bush "respond to the charges against him" despite the fraudulence of the evidence - and People's Court-led communist show trials of the Soviet era, or the persecutions of the McCarthy era?

None, really. An absolute and corrupt authority, either on the left or the right, will eventually devolve to committing unjust excesses. Why? Power corrupts. Mainstream media has had enormous, unchallenged power for the last forty years. Much like inbreeding, this has led to degeneracy.

The Internet and its bloggers and BBSers have altered the playing field very suddenly and dramatically. It took a revolution in communications technology, combined with media myopia and arrogance, for this Perfect Storm to emerge. So sudden is the change, in fact, that the technology-illiterate in the mainstream media clearly are not yet able to grasp just how much their profession has come under scrutiny. The "Theatre of the Absurd" that still emanates from outlets such as CBS news, the Boston Globe, and the LA Times show just how stubborn and resistant to this unpleasant reality the mainstream media is.

The attacks on the SwiftVets's integrity, as well as scandals like Rathergate, are more than just problems, they are a symptom of a disease and a call to arms. We must go beyond asking how to get rid of Dan Rather, and ask what needs to be done to stop the systematic and pervasive distortion of information fed to the American public.

-- FDL

Last edited by fortdixlover on Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Paul Woll
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Now what? How do you bring to focus the unamerican tendencies of the MSM (claiming all is lost in Iraq) and the democrat party (video of soldier in surrender position). Rather is a good example of how biased and sick the whole structure is.
In our government separation of powers does not seem to include any balance against the media. There is no accountability. How can there be any? Would this fall under the judicial branch (which I find very liberal)? I don't see any checks or balances in the MSM.
What should we do? Petitions? I don't know.
Jungle_rat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or the persecutions of the McCarthy era?

Sen McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Committee outed a pile of card-carrying commies. Washington and Hollywood was and is crawling wth them. Lenin said the motion picture industry was the most useful of all the arts and set out to infiltrate it from the get go.

The left and their media cohorts have painted the McCarthy era in a bad light out of revenge and to discourage future investigation. The internet is full of heavily biased reports on McCarthy using the same tired methods we've come to know from AP, CBS, CNN and the MSM.

Here's a link to a site which may help provide some balance to the leftists jihad against McCarthy...and a whole lot more information.

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3a7f91723a2b.htm

Even the US State Department site beats up on McCarthy and provides a copy of his "censure". Go ahead...read the censure and tell me if he did a whole lot more than calling the kettle black. The far left dems today do as much and worse on a daily basis than what McCarthy was censured for.

In Carl Bernstein's LOYALTIES: A Son's Memoir, Carl is proud that his parents, State Department Employees, were Communists and writes further that his father had told him as regards to his membership in the Communist Party and working in government, "There were thousands of us. Senator Joe was right..."
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only quibble is, contrary to popular opinion, John F. Kerry does not flip-flop. John Faux Kerry is extremely consistent in his views. He is a Communist sympathizer, loves Europe more than the United States, and is an appeaser. He inherited his views from his father. John Kerry has consistently displayed his views at boarding school, through college, during his “heroic” military service, and also during his “illustrious” career in the US Senate voting against the military. He has never wavered from his purpose. His words change to achieve his purpose, but his purpose is very clear and consistent. John Kerry is truly the Manchurian Candidate. The mainstream media are just useful fools.
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We must go beyond asking how to get rid of Dan Rather, and ask what needs to be done to stop the systematic and pervasive distortion of information fed to the American public.

Good post! I'd say a lot of what needs to be done is right here under our noses, or fingertips, more accurately. As "consumers" of the media, we do have a say. We can demand presentation of the facts without bias, and we can demand that editorial be appropriately labeled as opinion. It requires some effort, and perhaps some sacrifice to be consumers who get what we demand. It means calling foul AND following through when we see abuse of "freedom of the press".

Example: If I believe that CBS is "terminally" biased in its reporting (and I do), then I give absolutely no support to CBS. I watch NONE of their programming, even if they may have a show or two that I like. NADA! Read a book, surf the 'Net, go for a walk, go shopping, spend time with someone I care about.

Same is true with the NYT, or our local newspapers. If they aren't providing fair news coverage, tell 'em what you think, and then give them up if they don't improve! Sure, many folks subscribe for the sports, or the comics, or whatever, but if you believe the publication is contributing to unfair, biased persuasion, and this is important to you, drop them like a rock! Find other sources for your news and other wants, and support those sources. Only by nurturing what we want will we continue to get it. Supporting any sources that have a practice of bias does nothing to communicate that they are failing to meet their audience's needs.

Calling foul is important, and letters or email expressing displeasure is certainly a good thing. Follow-through is just as important. If the issue is important enough, it's worth sacrificing to reinforce the point.

This is what each of us can do individually. Coordinated effort would also be effective, but shoot, those often outgrow their original purpose. I think there are enough sources for us to individually decide what to support and what to avoid.

Kat[/quote]
FargoUT
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I think the MSM is rather middle-of-the-road. I've come to this conclusion because of this:

Conservatives call the MSM liberal.

Liberals call the MSM conservative.

It doesn't take much to realize that the MSM is neither, but takes a neutral stance. Of course, this is the reason I listen to Hannity, watch CNN, and listen to NPR. Getting your information from one source is ignorant and almost irresponsible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - you say here that you listen to Sean Hannity, but in your first post, you had your location listed as a hannityinsanity web site.

I removed it and put it in your web link section, so that it would quit screwing up the page layout and you removed it completely.

Now, you listen to him? Odd, very odd. Wink
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LimaCharley wrote:
My only quibble is, contrary to popular opinion, John F. Kerry does not flip-flop. John Faux Kerry is extremely consistent in his views. He is a Communist sympathizer, loves Europe more than the United States, and is an appeaser. He inherited his views from his father. John Kerry has consistently displayed his views at boarding school, through college, during his “heroic” military service, and also during his “illustrious” career in the US Senate voting against the military. He has never wavered from his purpose. His words change to achieve his purpose, but his purpose is very clear and consistent. John Kerry is truly the Manchurian Candidate. The mainstream media are just useful fools.

Right on target!! This is THE message at this point in time. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
Paul Woll
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FargoUT,
You are completely clueless if you think the MSM is middle of the road. Just look at how they handled the swift boat issues, kitty kelly, barnes, etc. Do your research you will find most tv programs biased and favorable to Kerry. A majority of newspapers as well. You will see an incredible bias in the AP.
(AP Reporting crowd booed when they did not upon hearing about Clinton's heart condition).

If it was fair and balanced you would see more people calling for Kerry to sign the 180. Do you see any other radio station that has done this? Just look at how they covered the Kerry speech to the National Guard.

If you had two people... one a liar and one that told the truth and they both claimed that someone was biased you would have to look at the evidence and not just claim like you that it must be in the middle. That is the most ridiculous argument I have heard. Be real. The hypocrisy of the media in their attacks on Bush and defense of Kerry is completely obvious. I can barely watch any TV programs.
DavidS
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: MSM Reply with quote

Very well put. We can each have an impact.

quote="ohanakat"]
Quote:
We must go beyond asking how to get rid of Dan Rather, and ask what needs to be done to stop the systematic and pervasive distortion of information fed to the American public.

Good post! I'd say a lot of what needs to be done is right here under our noses, or fingertips, more accurately. As "consumers" of the media, we do have a say. We can demand presentation of the facts without bias, and we can demand that editorial be appropriately labeled as opinion. It requires some effort, and perhaps some sacrifice to be consumers who get what we demand. It means calling foul AND following through when we see abuse of "freedom of the press".

Example: If I believe that CBS is "terminally" biased in its reporting (and I do), then I give absolutely no support to CBS. I watch NONE of their programming, even if they may have a show or two that I like. NADA! Read a book, surf the 'Net, go for a walk, go shopping, spend time with someone I care about.

Same is true with the NYT, or our local newspapers. If they aren't providing fair news coverage, tell 'em what you think, and then give them up if they don't improve! Sure, many folks subscribe for the sports, or the comics, or whatever, but if you believe the publication is contributing to unfair, biased persuasion, and this is important to you, drop them like a rock! Find other sources for your news and other wants, and support those sources. Only by nurturing what we want will we continue to get it. Supporting any sources that have a practice of bias does nothing to communicate that they are failing to meet their audience's needs.

Calling foul is important, and letters or email expressing displeasure is certainly a good thing. Follow-through is just as important. If the issue is important enough, it's worth sacrificing to reinforce the point.

This is what each of us can do individually. Coordinated effort would also be effective, but shoot, those often outgrow their original purpose. I think there are enough sources for us to individually decide what to support and what to avoid.

Kat[/quote][/quote]
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yesterday CBS spokeswoman Sandy Genelius brushed off General "Buck" Staudt's comments in splendid totalitarian style: "In a debate this heated, one can hardly expect Gen. Staudt to endorse the point of view that he exerted undue influence", she said.

That is such a telling statement. CBS is so sure that only IT can be correct, that witnesses are dismissed unless they AGREE with CBS's interpretation of events!! "Stardt cannot be right unless he agrees with us" is what she is effectively saying!!

Is this what so called "journalism" has come to: making the witnesses fit the story that the MSM wants, and in this case INVENTS?!?!?

Even before this egregious revelation, a cursory comparison of the way the Bush ANG and SBVT stories were covered (if you can call the way the MSM ignored the SVBT "coverage") was instructive. The two stories could not have been more directly comparable, yet the Bush story has been examined in minute detail, even to the point where Bush was sued for his records (the press is apparently never satisfied) or worse, where the MSM resorts to forgeries to give a story legs. The SBVT on the other hand, can't get an even break. Ignored for months, then smeared and jeered by the press. Kerry flacks are given free reign to besmirch the reputation of the Swiftees with little or not rebuttal time. There is no demand for Kerry's full military record. No penetrating questions from Russert about Christmas in Cambodia or his invented "V" on his Silver Star. To the MSM, the "word" of Kerry trumps the sworn statements of over 250 REAL Vietnam vets!! Go figure!

Thank God for the internet, Fox News, talk radio and the truth.
RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can make a difference. Viacom owns CBS News, their shareholders
will want an explaination as to why Dan Rather's ratings were
lower than an old Simpson's this past week. The MSM is supported by
their sponsors. The sponsors ultimately rule and will respond when
a large group of consumers tell em we won't be buying your products
as long as you put your ads during Hardball, Crossfire, ect., ect.

Same as the newspapers, they need the advertising. When we contact
the advertisors and let them know we won't be buying their products
since they have ads in USA TODAY, or the NYTimes, LATimes, ect.
Money is the bottom line for these media outlets. Our money counts!
BB Stacker
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only people that think that the MSM does not have a left bias are choir members that either are completely ignorant of the facts and therefore naive, or so indoctrinated by the leftist party line, that the truth no longer matters. For those who march in step to Democrat talking points, they are only looking for the next command to parrot out the party line without any truth filter what so ever. Do not try to confuse these people with facts, they don't care. It's only winning, at all costs, that matters.

It is true that power corrupts, whether on the left or right. That fact underscores the wisdom and importance or a free press. They have a sacred responsibility of fair and honest reporting to expose abuses on either side of the political spectrum. They are the publics watchdogs. But when these 900 pound gorilla news networks begin to make news instead of reporting it, it is they who are corrupt and become a danger to the society they should be watching out for. We do not need Al Jazeera to watch out for us.

We do need honesty and integrity in reporting. We do not need idealogues telling us what's best for us. It has now fallen to the new media to, not only do the job of the MSM in being the watch dog of public servants, but also be the watch dog over the MSM. This maturing of news media may have some beneficial side effects. Witness the growth of the Blogosphere.
It is now evident that each of us has responsibility to look deeper into what ever is being presented as fact. If we do not, we just end up standing with the choir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: