SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My thoughts on the upcoming election

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: My thoughts on the upcoming election Reply with quote

OK, let me first get one thing out of the way:
I happen to think that GWB is one of our greatest presidents. That wont be recognized until many years from now, of course. I recall that Reagan suffered through much the same vitriol that Bush is suffering now.

On a side note, and having been alive long enough to watch it happen; ever since Watergate, the default position of the Democratic party has been that all republicans are evil and any republican president is, perforce, a liar.

Well, let's set all that aside so I can look at this logically.

There are really only two candidates. Bush & Kerry. Nader doesn't count because he can't be elected (will never have the votes), and a vote for him is, as a practical matter; wasted.

Leaving aside the issue of whether or not the war on terror is important, I generally have a very simple basis for evaluating potential presidents. This will come into play for me in 2008, but I can apply it here as well.

To get my vote, I have to believe two basic things about a candidate:

1) That the views he is espousing are heartfelt and internal, not something that comes from public opinion polls.
(naturally, I must also AGREE with those views, but lets assume I do.)

2) That the candidate has sufficient strength of character that, should it be neccesary, he can do what needs to be done for America, even in the face of a firestorm of criticism. Even at the cost of his 2nd term, if need be.

In 2000, which was obviously before the event occured that GWB could rise to, I felt that I didn't really care all that much who got elected. I chose Bush essentially on 2nd amendment issues, but I really didn't care who won, because I felt that both men were fairly similar and were both essentially decent, honest men, and that either could do the job.
In fact, i didn't even vote. I simply called a democratic friend and made an agreement that we would both stay away from the polls, since our votes would just cancel out anyway.

In the 2004 election, I don't believe Kerry has EITHER of those two important characteristics, and no amount of preaching from the left will convince me otherwise. Why? Because I don't base my opinions of people on their words. ANYONE can talk a good game. I base it on their ACTIONS.

As a result, even if I was not so fond of our current president, I couldn't vote for Kerry ANYWAY, because I don't trust him to follow his heart and stand firm in tough times.

Ultimately, that's what it comes down to.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am saddened that you do not have any definate or defining reasons to vote for President Bush. I am pro-choice and I am voting for Bush. In the last elelction Bush/Gore President Bush made a statement about not being a one issue voter because most of the issues he would not be able to change. So I took a chance and vote for President Bush. I am glad I did. He surprised me with 09-11....and I have heard a lot of people and even democrats say they sure were glad that Gore was not in office...and I think if President George does not get elected it will be the worst mistake our voters have ever made. I think things will go down hill fast and John Kerry will not have the balls to stick with anything without the polls telling him what to do. President Bush maybe a lot of people's first choice....but as long as he is their choice by default then I can deal with that. It is scares me of what will happen to this country since he wants to go to the UN (useless nitwits) for help. WE hear nothing about the food for oil scandal...the French is trying to oppress it. Why? They are afraid the real truth about their lack of standing with us was all about the billions of dollars they stole off the Iraqi's. But at least I am happy you are voting got Bush. Now got talk 3 friends into it and have them talk 3 and then maybe we can get more votes to win.
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny it's how it is, but everyone remembers the election of 2001. Al Gore is now the laughing stock of politicos everywhere. He was almost president. It's scary to think how little the people of this nation pay attention.

My hope is that my fellow Americans look to that vote and realize just how crazy that vote was. You don't want John Kerry. You want a free society and a safe nation to enjoy said freedoms.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: My thoughts on the upcoming election Reply with quote

nakona wrote:

In the 2004 election, I don't believe Kerry has EITHER of those two important characteristics...

And, on that point, you're probably in agreement with a fair percentage of the current Kerry support group, and CERTAINLY in agreement with the MAJORITY of the pre-Iowa Deaniacs. Now, LISTEN TO THE DEAFENING SILENCE from that same most vocal group on KERRY'S desirability. It is nearly MIA, and can BARELY be heard thru the cacaphony of the ABB rhetoric.

Well, they want Anybody But Bush? That's what they may get with Kerry, who's just about as "anybody" as it gets. Pathetic.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If John Kerry hadn't become the apparent nominee, I'd still almost certainly have supported the President.

But, I could have lived with a President Lieberman. I'd have been sorry to see President Bush shunned by the electorate, but after Clinton being elected twice and algore almost being elected, I've lost faith in the electorate.

I admire President Bush's action in the war on terror - the Homeland Defense measures including the Patriot Act, major funding for fire departments and first responders, the invasions into Afghanistan and Iraq.

I disagree with him on many issues, but until the election, I will not add ONE MORE WORD to the cacophony of criticism heaped on this decent, honorable and courageous President.

Our country's safety and defense MUST be our priority right now, and that makes me a one-issue voter.

John Kerry hasn't ever done a thing that indicates to me that he has any backbone or moral clarity. He is not decisive and appears to believe in whatever is politically expedient for the moment.

President Bush has demonstrated that he has courage behind his convictions, putting the safety of the country before his own political life.

He's got a pair of big brass ones - and if ever we needed a President of courage, it is now.
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:
I am saddened that you do not have any definate or defining reasons to vote for President Bush.

I do, but that wasn't the point of my post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: