SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This week my two oldest sons will vote for the first time…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swctexas
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: This week my two oldest sons will vote for the first time… Reply with quote

This week my two oldest sons will vote for the first time…

In what seems like a matter of days, my two oldest sons have become young men and will vote in this year’s Presidential Election for the first time. While one is in college and will vote in his temporary home, the other will join his mother and I as we go to our precinct and place our votes.

From the time they were young, I taught my sons to think for themselves; to study the different angles of every issue, to listen to both sides of an argument and to act according to how they believe God, their mother and their hearts lead them.

Over the weekend, my oldest son was home from school. During Saturday evening dinner, talk turned to the election, polls, etc. My oldest son had watched Fahrenheit 9/11. On his own, he mentioned how “simple-minded” a person would have to be to fall for Michael Moore’s bull.

He and his brother then began talking about moveon.org, George Soros, Al Gore sweating like a pig during a speech, etc. I sat back and listened, in absolute amazement at the intelligence and thoughtfulness of their arguments. Two little boys who could never make a bed were suddenly two young men who still can't make a bed, but are educated and prepared enough to wisely cast their vote.

As the conversation continued, John Kerry’s service in Vietnam came up. The boys were talking about Kerry’s medals, his manipulation of the system to get an early discharge and the questions about his honorable discharge coming years after it should.

I asked them why this was ever germane to the election and the oldest one said , “a cat will never bark Dad”. I asked them where they heard about these things and of course the SwiftVets came up.

Playing devils advocate, I asked my sons why they believed the SwiftVets? They told me about going on the site, watching the commercials, etc. Again I followed up and asked them why they believed the SwiftVets. Hadn’t I taught them to be skeptical of things they read…especially on the internet?

My son said “Dad…haven’t you seen those guys? You can tell if a man is telling the truth just by looking at him. Those guys are telling the truth.”

This week my two oldest sons will vote for the first time. The 18-year-old is wearing a “Bush is My Home Boy” t-shirt. Who knows what the other one will wear. But they will go into the voting booth and vote for what they believe in. Truth. Integrity. Honor. Duty. Country. Heroes.

This week my two oldest sons will vote for the first time. Many years ago…many of you were the age of my sons when you answered our countries call for service. Now, decades later, you have answered that call again. A whole new generation of young people only need to look in your eyes and hear your words to discern the truth that shines in the eyes of men of character.

This week my two oldest sons will vote for the first time. And regardless of the outcome, I will know they have cast their votes with thought and conviction. I will whisper a silent prayer; thankful for the men they are becoming, for the young men you were, for the tough old birds you have become and for the examples you have set for all.

God Bless Us
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swctexas...

Another for the bookmarks...that was wonderful and being sent along.
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How proud you and Mom are! And how proud I am to call you, mom and your sons, "my fellow citizens!"

I salute you, mom, and your 2 very fine sons. . .I mean 2 very fine men! Cool

Wink Wink Wink Wink
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a crusty old Master Sergeant on an Air Education and Training Command Base, I am exposed to many young people. I'm talking hundreds of Airman, Soldiers, Sailors and Marines pass through our gates. These are our newest warriors, our youngest troops.

While sometimes I grumble about some of the screw-ups and the slackers, 98% percent of these young adults are gung-ho, smart and ready (now if I could only talk them into investing $100 a month into a Roth IRA, trust me, I try). These young adults actually motivate me. These young ones are a shining light. They are the future of our armed forces, and they are up to the challenge.

Sometimes I'll see a young one bee-bopping along (always catches an NCO's attention, as in, damn it, why are you bee-bopping along?). I'll first have the urge to jump them and tell them to quit bee-bopping or laughing, or whatever. If it is excessive, I will. But most of the time, I'll let them bee-bop. Because that was me 20 years ago. Just a kid trying to find my way, and not so beat down that I'd lost the jump in my step.

No, instead, when I'm walking up to MPF (CBPO for you old farts), I start to bee-bop myself.

God Bless these fine young people, they are the greatest. The recruiters do a great job, and by and large we are getting some extremely bright and extrememly motivated young ones for the ranks and further responsibility down the road. The military is in a constant state of renewal, and I'm not dissappointed one bit.

reconflyer

:edited to remove the word "kids" except when I was talking about myself, because I was a kid then:
hutch
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter just turned 18, and is so excited about voting for the first time. She can't wait to cast her vote for George W. She is planning to go into the Air Force ROTC and become a nurse. Mom and I are very proud. She is currently dating a great guy who is in the Army ROTC program at E. Michigan University.
happyday
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: This week my two oldest sons will vote for the first tim Reply with quote

swctexas wrote:

This week my two oldest sons will vote for the first time. The 18-year-old is wearing a “Bush is My Home Boy” t-shirt. Who knows what the other one will wear. But they will go into the voting booth and vote for what they believe in. Truth. Integrity. Honor. Duty. Country. Heroes.

This week my two oldest sons will vote for the first time. Many years ago…many of you were the age of my sons when you answered our countries call for service. Now, decades later, you have answered that call again. A whole new generation of young people only need to look in your eyes and hear your words to discern the truth that shines in the eyes of men of character.

This week my two oldest sons will vote for the first time. And regardless of the outcome, I will know they have cast their votes with thought and conviction. I will whisper a silent prayer; thankful for the men they are becoming, for the young men you were, for the tough old birds you have become and for the examples you have set for all.

God Bless Us

This week I find myself in the same boat Very Happy My two oldest sons, 23 and 20, will also vote for the first time. Mine not only could not make their own beds, but were blind (as in "can't you see your shoes are in the middle of my living room?") deaf (as in "I called you in from play half an hour ago!") and dumb (as in "The two cookies you admit you took and the two cookies you admit you took do not add up to the whole cotten pickin bag!").

I am amazed at how mine have turned into bright, thinking young men. They aren't ashamed to admit now that they love their mom, they love their country, and they love their siblings (no matter how much they get on each other's nerves). They also have a great respect for the Swiftees and all other military people because, after all, they are the ones that fought for their liberties.

Just a thought, respectfully submitted. Very Happy
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I are the same boat my oldest son is a rare find. He is a right thinking 22 year old who will be graduating from a University of Minnesota mass communications program next spring. Our middle son 19 graduated from Navy boot camp 5/04 however was discharged for medical reasons. And our youngest son who has enlisted into the Navy turns 18 on 11/6/04 and misses his right to vote for his CIC by just a few days. I am so proud of all three of my young men and at this time next year our nest will be empty however our hearts are full with the pride my wife & I have for our three sons after 24 years of marriage.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police

Last edited by coldwarvet on Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our two are also voting for the first time in a Presidential election. We are very proud of both of them. Our son is in the Air Force and loves it; went in straight out of high school. Our daughter is about to graduate from university with maximum honors and then teach special ed. Somehow, despite all the distractions for them out there, they've turned out great. This old AF vet was even more proud, when, without any prompting by us, and each independently, they said that they were absolutely voting for President Bush because they didn't trust Kerry. Wow, knocked our socks off! Where'd they get such good common sense?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: