SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't Ya Just Love the Effete Media?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDonkey
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit wrote:
I do care about the truth. Do you dispute that 9/10ths of Iraqis have a negative impression of America and that over half wish we never came? Is it unamerican to suggest that, ASPB?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040616/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_us_poll
"The poll, requested by the Coalition Provisional Authority last month but not released to the American public, found more than half of Iraqis surveyed believed both that they'd be safer without U.S. forces and that all Americans behave like the military prison guards pictured in the Abu Ghraib abuse photos. "

If the election was today, this minute, I think I'd probably vote for Bush. I'm not being irrational here my man, but I don't see the optimistic situation you do, unless you think that Iraqi civil defense police are going to have an instantaneous impact. If they don't, our military has to pick up the slack, and every time they do that they make more enemies in a civilian population that is increasinly unwilling to tolerate their presence. I don't blame the hand-tied military, I blame the ideological stupidity of the politicians that put them in that situation.

And hey, lets be honest about the "mass graves". They received ENORMOUS publicity in 1992 when they were being published. Nobody was surprised to find them, we expected they'd be there. In 1988 when the Kurdish graves were being filled, the media reported extensively but the Reagan administration was more focused on the Iranian threat.

These are wildly different than a poll taken not two months ago, so I really question the results. Whatever answer they've given an opinion poll, I think most people would rather be photographed with a panty on their head than be shot in the forehead after torture and tossed in a mass grave.

Besides, our mission was not based on winning positive Iraqi opinion, it was to dispose of a dictator and to ensure Iraq would not be used as the next terrorist training ground/supplier of WMDs to terrorists after Afghanistan fell. We succeeded. The Iraqis will have their own government after June 30.

I remember after the first Gulf War being very glad we didn't go on to Baghdad. However, after all that has happened since I wish we did. I think we could have nipped all of this in the bud back then. The situation in Iraq was not going to improve with age. We must look at all the US military has accomplished, which is considerable. I also think that there is much to be revealed in the future that will only grow our vision of this success.

One thing is for sure - if Kerry gets elected, he will go out of his way to lose Iraq, just like he helped damage our cause in Vietnam. Since the press has been so in the bag for him and is doing everything they can to elect him, do you really think they will hold him accountable for anything? Just as President Bush was blamed for a recession and 9/11 (which were actually the culmination of bad Clinton policies), President Bush will continue to be blamed for anything that happens negative in a Kerry Administration by the biased media.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this from Sam a Hammorabi:

Quote:
Falluja Update

There is news from Falluja talking about a special meeting recently took place in one area in the centre of Falluja in which the (Mujaheeden) has pledged allegiance to appoint Al-Zarqawi as the Ameer (Prince or Governor) of the City of Falluja! Zarqawi was in the meeting which was attended by top leader of Mujaheeden including Arabs from Jordan, Saudis, Syrian and Palestinians.

They divided the city into various areas and called it Emarat El-Falluja (Emirate) with Zarqawi as the Ameer (Prince). They appointed a leader for each one of these areas among the Mujaheeden with one group under his leadership. They gave Zarqawi an Oath to set out the Islamic state of Caliphate in Falluja and from there they will spread it into the rest of Iraq and the region. They now try desperately to gather lot of youths and young people enthusiastic for that to join them. They also tried to get themselves extended well beyond that area to Baghdad and other regions.

Among them are many Saudi Wahabis and Syrian with other Arabs. Recently a body of a Palestinian has been left unburied after killed in Najaf city after the fighting finished!

A quick action needs to be taken to weaken the basis of the devils and then with the strike of the Newly Born Iraqi Special Death Squads and commandos the thugs will be destroyed completely. Just a warning need to be taken very seriously!

So I'm being led to believe that most of the present problems are coming from foreign Jihadists supported by a few unreformed Saddamists! Not what you're reading in the mainsewer media Silly.

And another thing: Turn on Fox Right Now! Breaking news from Falluja. Sounds like the quick action suggested is happening as I type! Air strikes on Zarqawi network safe-houses in Falluja!

Last edited by ASPB on Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB - Thank you for that log. However, I can't see how that establishes what Iraqis think about the mission. That's one man's opinion, and I think that photographs of Iraqis dancing on top of burnt Humvees offer a different perspective. Even if they're evenly split, it doesn't take a majority of the population to support an effective insurgency. All it takes is an apathetic majority and an energized and dedicated minority. Do I know if that exists? No, I won't claim to. But my gut tells me it does, re: Fallujah.

And most reports (including official DoD) indicate that there are more FREs in Fallujah than foreign terrorists.

NoDonkey-
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,122794,00.html
Fox News published this poll as well. It was comissioned by the CPA, and they use it as if it were fact.
This is another telling quote from the poll.
"The coalition's confidence rating in May stood at 11 percent, down from 47 percent in November, while coalition forces had just 10 percent support. Nearly half of Iraqis said they felt unsafe in their neighborhoods."

Anyhow, our mission was twofold
1. To eradicate Iraqi WMD
2. To establish a functional democracy that would develop the transparent institutions that theoretically would work as a natural opposition to the terrorist mindstate and ideology.

On the first point...well, who needs to get into that one. We still don't know the whole story.

On the second point, I believe we are losing. I don't want to lose. I know how damaging it would be for us to lose, and I'm not one of the mindless idiots that wants to see us lose so we can somehow 'get whats coming to us'. If Iraq doesn't develop a liberal democracy it's bad for everyone, not least the Iraqi people. But....

In situations of political vacuum, the most extreme and violent elements of society almost always inevitably come to power (except when there are pre-existing democratic institutions). Right now, the most exteme element has a very persuasive message to the average Iraqi, "any U.S.-installed government will be a puppet regime that will demasculate you as an Arab man and work for the Jews in Israel." Is that rational? No, but it's persuasive enough to a. recruit new fighters and b. maintain some level of civilian support.

The big question is this: do people in Iraq see the insurgents as Saddamists or anti-Americanists? That's not to say the two are mutually exclusive, but there is an important distinction. A population that sees the insurgency as Saddamists will not support them by virtue of that association, but if they see the insurgency as purely reactionary to the occupation then its likely that they will enjoy sustained support.

This is a cyclical phenomenon and here's why:
The majority of Iraqis have an unfavorable opinion of U.S. troops already. However, they also want democracy. But the ONLY thing keeping that possibility alive IS american firepower. Can't you see how this situation favors the insurgents? An insurgency base that has popular support has all the power in these conditions, because every time they mount an attack on Iraqi police that can't defend themselves they look stronger and stronger. So who is the force to combat this? Well, obviously, U.S. troops. BUT, every time U.S. troops go into the population to fight those terrorists their image is damaged by necessarily heavy handed tactics. This cycle is untenable. Iraqi insurgents attack Iraqi police -> U.S. troops respond, killing insurgents -> but that operation further damages their image in an already hostile civilian population that then supports -> Iraqi insurgents attacking Iraqi police

This chain is unsupportable because it relies on too much popular opinion. Eventually, either American or Iraqi public opinion is going to head way south. The danger is that it will be the latter opinion, which could fuel an unlikely yet possible general rebellion.

For those reasons, I don't think we're winning on the 2nd count, and you know what? I don't think that the smart guys in the administration do either. I think that Bush gets reelected and pulls troops out in the first year in office. Then Iraq is Iran all over again. For ten years it'll have a shoddy democracy, after which point a "real" Islamic revolution will throw that government out the door before the U.S. can respond. Do you think the public has the stomach for ANOTHER Iraq war in 2010? No. In the strategic picture of American history, I am convinced this was a disaster.

ASPB...Edit: The fact that we're bombing Fallujah right now proves MY point, not yours. We have to bomb there now because the "Fallujah Brigade" that was supposed to act as a buffer between us and the civilian population is a failed endeavor. Because we were unable to find Iraqis willing to fight for their own democracy in Fallujah, we are now forced to resort to the kind of tactics that will alienate more and more of the civilian population in favor of the insurgents. Every time a U.S. bomb goes off in Fallujah, another few families feel justified aiding the insurgents. They don't know politics, all they know is the house down the block got destroyed by a U.S. missile. If your belief was, in fact, correct, we wouldn't need to bomb Fallujah because the civilian population would have already expelled the terrorists you suggest they are 'sick of'. These are the facts on the ground.
NoDonkey
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit wrote:

And hey, lets be honest about the "mass graves". They received ENORMOUS publicity in 1992 when they were being filled. Nobody was surprised to find them, we expected they'd be there.

Really? Not nearly as much as this absurd prison "scandal". And if they received so much attention, why was there and why is there still such opposition to the overthrow of Saddam? Seems to me anyone opposing the invasion should be able to justify why a ruler who has filled mass graves with over 500,000 people should be permitted to remain in power? Seems to me that's all anyone needed to overthrow the Iraqi regime. Maybe I have low standards though . . . Perhaps John Kerry can explain how many people in mass graves it takes to make a ruler worth overthrowing.

During the 80s and pre Gulf War early 90s, I was under the impression that Republicans (that I voted for) were Saddam's greatest apologists, who were too busy selling him Wheat and buying oil to condemn his genocide.

At that time of course, Iraq was fighting Iran. The reality of the situation was that there was no way to help the Iraqi people without creating a power vaccuum to be exploited by the Iranians who were seen as a far more dangerous enemy at that time.

And as to the "foreign elements" in Iraq... Maybe I'm wrong. Could be. But I believe (as does the U.S. government) that most of the violence is coming from FREs (Former Regime Elements), who are heavily entrenched in a civilian population that has no reason to "grow sick of them."

The majority of Iraqis wanted the FREs out before, during and after the war. These are precisely the types of people that caused Iraq to be a failed state that was dealing with terrorists.

Do you think Isreal would be as well off right now as they are if the bombings were being commited BY ISRAELIS? There's no wall to build in Iraq! The bombers are Iraqis. Why is it so hard for people to believe that the Iraqi people can be terrorists too? Are they that different from Saudis? Or Lebanese? The same religious fundamentalism that is used to recruit suicide bombers in Palestine can, will, and is being deployed in Iraq.

I believe that the best recruitment weapon for Islamic terrorism is for us to pretend it doesn't exist (as Bill Clinton did), to back down from it and to not confront it. Much better that we fight it in Iraq. Don't believe the media liars that Arabs are crying for Iraq, I've read news reports that besides terrorists emigrating to Iraq there are also Arabs moving there because of the opportunities available. [/b]
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoDonkey wrote:
Really? Not nearly as much as this absurd prison "scandal". And if they received so much attention, why was there and why is there still such opposition to the overthrow of Saddam? Seems to me anyone opposing the invasion should be able to justify why a ruler who has filled mass graves with over 500,000 people should be permitted to remain in power? Seems to me that's all anyone needed to overthrow the Iraqi regime. Maybe I have low standards though . . . Perhaps John Kerry can explain how many people in mass graves it takes to make a ruler worth overthrowing.

Obviously the media gave less attention to the mass graves than the scandal, because the mass killings weren't carried out by Americans. This isn't a moral equivalency thing here, the fact is that misconduct by Americans is more important to our republic than misconduct by foreigners. We expect bad behavior from third-world dictators, not our own troops. The Abu Ghraib scandal was overblown, but so was Clinton's infidelities. All while massacres were taking place in Bosnia! The media focuses on American actions and sensationalism because that's what Americans care about. And if we're really going to be warriors for human rights (which I hope to God someday we really become) then we wouldn't be doing business with China or Vietnam or Egypt, all of whom are ruled by leaders that fill mass graves as well. We went to war with Saddam for SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS, not high minded human rights concerns. The run up to the war was dirty bombs and mushroom clouds and smallpox, NOT mass graves and justice.

At that time of course, Iraq was fighting Iran. The reality of the situation was that there was no way to help the Iraqi people without creating a power vaccuum to be exploited by the Iranians who were seen as a far more dangerous enemy at that time.

You're right. I don't disagree with that decision from a security point of view, but the REALITY is that we didn't care about Iraqi mass graves while they were being filled. At the time of the invasion, there was no specific campaign against Kurds or Shiites as there was in 1988 and 1992. That makes it hard to believe that we did this to avenge their deaths. I won't argue this anymore because I think bringing Saddam to justice was a good thing, but that's beside the point. Saddam isn't even in the equation any more.

The majority of Iraqis wanted the FREs out before, during and after the war. These are precisely the types of people that caused Iraq to be a failed state that was dealing with terrorists.

Iraq was a failed state because of U.S. and U.N. sanctions. If the U.N. Security Council didn't vote to evict Saddam from Kuwait and had never sanctioned him, Iraq would be a wealthy nuclear powerhouse right now, which is why we kicked his ass out of Kuwait. Terrorists and Baathists didn't make Saddam's Iraq a failed state, the West did (and damn rightfully so, don't get me wrong!) The definition of a "failed state" is a place like Somalia or Haiti. Pre-Gulf War 1 Iraq was a wealthy country with a high literacy rate and large amount of professionals. Besides, for a big part of the Iraqi population, people who we see as 'terrorists' are 'mujahedeen' , i.e. God's fighters. Let's remember that 90% of KUWAITIS thought we had September 11 coming to us, according to polls at the time (and this is a country we went to war for). I understand that we want to see Iraqis as misguided people who will realize the benevolence of our actions once they democratize, but we need to remember that the WHOLE MIDEAST IS A HOSTILE POPULATION. Iraqis dont like us now, and they never did. Thus, I don't know if they ever had the same dislike of terrorists that we do. And they certainly blamed the U.N. and U.S. for imposing sanctions on them that made Iraq look like a failed state in the first place.

I believe that the best recruitment weapon for Islamic terrorism is for us to pretend it doesn't exist (as Bill Clinton did), to back down from it and to not confront it. Much better that we fight it in Iraq. Don't believe the media liars that Arabs are crying for Iraq, I've read news reports that besides terrorists emigrating to Iraq there are also Arabs moving there because of the opportunities available. [/b]

Hey, I agree that ignoring them allows them to build and breed their ideology and hate. But here's my question to you: the year is now 2004. We have deposed two hateful regimes through military force, pursuant to President Bush's forward-looking strategy. But the most important question is this: do you think that terrorist recruiters are having a harder time recruiting young killers right now or an easier time, given the world situation? These people want to die no matter what!! Just because we've killed thousands of them doesn't make it any less attractive of a path for a young, impressionable kid who has been told that his God will reward him upon death... I think it's easier to get new recruits right now, because the "America is a hater of Islam out to humiliate muslims" byline has a lot of news to draw its rhetoric from right now.

Last edited by sillyrabbit on Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
NoDonkey
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sillyrabbit"]
NoDonkey wrote:
[b]I think it's easier to get new recruits right now, because the "America is a hater of Islam out to humiliate muslims" byline has a lot of news to draw its rhetoric from right now.

I think we're far better off killing them by the bushel than we are hoping that lying low will make them go away. After all, these kids live in vile, hopeless conditions in which their only means of success lies in enrolling in these bankrolled maddrasses, etc. This is like gang recruiting in the inner cities, whether or not these kids even believe in this Wahhabbi nonsense they see the only path to success as joining them.

The only path to victory is to confront and eliminate failed states like Iraq. There is no shrinking from this fight or "containing" these places. President Bush is only dealing with the situation he has been dealt. To do otherwise would be irresponsible.

The alternative is having Saddam and his psychopath sons still in charge in Iraq which would be a far worse situation down the road. We cannot wait until the threat becomes imminent, just as we cannot go back to the failed policies of indictments, lawyers, UN resolutions, etc. That strategy got us 9/11.
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I'm not arguing against the war. 1 1/2 years in and I'm still on the fence (hey, maybe I really am a Kerry voter).

But.

Apparently the sanctions regime worked. IF they don't find any WMD caches, then that argument doesn't work. The strategy we took toward Iraq was different than toward international terrorism. The former we contained, the latter we ignored. Obviously ignoring terror was a dumb plan, Republican OR Democrat, but that strategy was different than the Iraq strategy, which you can make a case for having worked. I mean, if you knew then that there were no WMDs, would you have wanted to put our troops in harms way to build a democracy for an ungrateful, hostile population? We contain dictators very well. Look at Castro. In ten years Cuba won't be communist anymore. Is that because we went to war with them? No, eventually the Reds will outlive their welcome there. The point is that we never tried to "contain" terror, we just ignored it.

I'll never be able to buy the Saddam = terrorism argument. Why not attack Saudi Arabia!? That's where most of that religious crap comes from! That's where the hijackers came from! If attacking States is the way to fight terror, why aren't the B-52s rolling toward Cairo or Damascus right now? Take WMD out of the equation, and all of a sudden Saddam looks like the least threat in the region. I don't blame Bush for this...his intel was awful. But you can't suggest that the equation was the same with WMD as it is without WMD.
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit wrote:
I'll never be able to buy the Saddam = terrorism argument.

Then you are woefully uninformed and astonishingly naive.
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll never be able to buy the Saddam = terrorism argument. Why not attack Saudi Arabia!? That's where most of that religious crap comes from! That's where the hijackers came from! If attacking States is the way to fight terror, why aren't the B-52s rolling toward Cairo or Damascus right now? Take WMD out of the equation, and all of a sudden Saddam looks like the least threat in the region. I don't blame Bush for this...his intel was awful. But you can't suggest that the equation was the same with WMD as it is without WMD.

I find the above to be incredibly naive.
Maybe this will help you and then again maybe not:

Quote:
There They Go Again
From the June 28, 2004 issue: The 9/11 Commission and the media refuse to see the ties between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda.
by Stephen F. Hayes
06/28/2004, Volume 009, Issue 40

IT'S SETTLED, APPARENTLY. Saddam Hussein's regime never supported al Qaeda in its "attacks on America," and meetings between representatives of Iraq and al Qaeda did not result in a "collaborative relationship." That, we're told, is the conclusion of two staff reports the September 11 Commission released last Wednesday.

But the contents of the documents have been widely misreported.

Together the new reports total 32 pages; one contains a paragraph on the broad question of a Saddam-al Qaeda relationship, the other a paragraph on an alleged meeting between the lead hijacker and an Iraqi agent. Nowhere in the documents is the "Al Qaeda-Hussein Link...Dismissed," as Washington Post headline writers would have us believe. In fact, Staff Statement 15 discusses several "links." It never, as the Associated Press maintained, "bluntly contradicted" the Bush administration's prewar arguments. The Los Angeles Times was more emphatic still: "The findings appear to be the most complete and authoritative dismissal of a key Bush administration rationale for invading Iraq: that Hussein's regime had worked in collusion with al Qaeda."

A complete dismissal? Only for someone determined to find a complete dismissal. The major television networks and newspapers across the country got it wrong.

By Thursday afternoon, the misreporting had become too much for some members of the 9/11 Commission. Its vice chairman, former Democratic congressman Lee Hamilton, defended Vice President Dick Cheney against his attackers in the media:

I must say I have trouble understanding the flak over this. The Vice President is saying, I think, that there were connections between
al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein's government. We don't disagree with that. What we have said is just what [Republican co-chairman Tom Kean] just said: We don't have any evidence of a cooperative or collaborative relationship between Saddam Hussein's government and al Qaeda with regard to the attacks on the United States. So it seems to me that sharp differences that the press has drawn, that the media has drawn, are not that apparent to me.

Hamilton is half-right. The report was far more nuanced and narrowly worded than most news reports suggested. But while nuance is a close cousin of precision, it is not the same thing. And the two paragraphs on the Iraq-al Qaeda relationship are highly imprecise. Statement 15 does not, in fact, limit its skepticism about the Iraq-al Qaeda connection to collaboration on "the attacks on the United States." It also seems to cast doubt on the existence of any "collaborative relationship" (while conceding contacts and meetings) between the two.

This ambiguity, which provided reporters the opening they needed to go after the Bush administration, was a departure from earlier reports of the 9/11 Commission. Most of the staff's investigative work--its careful examination of pre-September 11 air safety procedures, for example--has been both thorough and illuminating. By contrast, the analysis of the Iraq-al Qaeda connection comes off as incomplete, forced, and unreliable. Indeed, at least as regrettable as the misreporting of the newly released staff documents are the gaps in their contents.

Here in full is the relevant portion of Staff Statement 15:

Bin Ladin also explored possible cooperation with Iraq during his time in Sudan, despite his opposition to Hussein's secular regime. Bin Ladin had in fact at one time sponsored anti-Saddam Islamists in Iraqi Kurdistan. The Sudanese, to protect their own ties with Iraq, reportedly persuaded bin Ladin to cease this support and arranged for contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda. A senior Iraqi Intelligence officer reportedly made three visits to Sudan, finally meeting bin Ladin in 1994. Bin Ladin is said to have requested space to establish training camps, as well as assistance in procuring weapons, but Iraq apparently never responded. There have been reports that contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda also occurred after bin Ladin had returned to Afghanistan, but they do not appear to have resulted in a collaborative relationship. Two senior bin Ladin associates have adamantly denied that any ties existed between al Qaeda and Iraq. We have no credible evidence that Iraq and al Qaeda cooperated on attacks against the United States.

This brief passage raises more questions than it answers--a point we'll come back to. But it also shatters the myth that religious and ideological differences precluded cooperation between bin Laden and Saddam. Osama bin Laden's 1994 meeting with the "Iraqi intelligence officer"--Farouk Hijazi--is important.

The U.S. intelligence community has long believed that Saddam was willing to use Islamic militants--including al Qaeda--to exact revenge on the United States for his humiliating defeat in the first Gulf War. This belief was more than theoretical. Saddam played host to a wide range of Islamic militants through "Popular Islamic Conferences" his regime sponsored in Baghdad. He gradually Islamicized his rhetoric, incorporated harsh elements of Islamic law into the Iraqi legal code, and funded a variety of Islamic terrorist groups--some quite openly, including Hamas.

On August 27, 1998, Uday Hussein's state-run newspaper, Babel, proclaimed bin Laden an "Arab and Islamic hero." Jabir Salim, an Iraqi intelligence agent stationed in Prague who defected in 1998, reported to British intelligence that he had received instructions from Baghdad, and $150,000, to recruit an Islamic militant to attack the broadcast headquarters of Radio Free Iraq in the Czech capital. And virtually no one disputes that Saddam offered bin Laden safe haven in Iraq in late 1998 or early 1999.

The chief obstacle to Iraq-al Qaeda collaboration, according to this reasoning, was bin Laden's presumed unwillingness to work with Hussein. Osama had, after all, publicly labeled the Iraqi dictator an "infidel." But in 1993--according to testimony provided by top al Qaeda terrorist Jamal Ahmed Al-Fadl and included in the Clinton administration's formal indictment of bin Laden in the spring of 1998--the Iraqi regime and al Qaeda reached an "understanding," whereby al Qaeda would not agitate against the Iraqi regime and in exchange the Iraqis would provide assistance on "weapons development." The following year, according to Staff Statement 15, bin Laden took the Iraqis up on their pledge. Hijazi told his interrogators in May 2003 that bin Laden had specifically requested Chinese-manufactured antiship limpet mines as well as training camps in Iraq.

It's never a good idea to take detainee testimony as gospel, but Hijazi's account of the meeting has been assessed as credible. As early as 1994, then, Osama bin Laden had expressed a willingness to work with Saddam Hussein. It was the Iraqis, per the 9/11 Commission report, who were reluctant to work with al Qaeda.

But were they?

According to numerous intelligence reports dating back to the Clinton administration, Iraq provided chemical weapons training (and perhaps materials) to the Sudanese government-run Military Industrial Corporation--which, along with Sudanese intelligence, also had a close relationship with al Qaeda. (Jamal Ahmed Al-Fadl and Ali A. Mohamed, two high-ranking al Qaeda terrorists who cooperated with U.S. authorities before 9/11, said Sudanese intelligence and military officials provided security for al Qaeda safehouses and training camps, and al Qaeda operatives did the same for Sudanese government facilities.)

William Cohen, secretary of defense under Clinton, testified to this before the September 11 Commission on March 23, 2004. Cohen was asked about U.S. attacks on a Sudanese pharmaceutical factory on August 20, 1998. The strikes came 13 days after al Qaeda terrorists bombed U.S. embassies in East Africa, killing some 257 people (including 12 Americans) and injuring more than 5,000. The Clinton administration and the intelligence community quickly determined that al Qaeda was behind the attacks and struck back at the facility in Sudan and at an al Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan. Almost immediately, the decision to attack the plant outside Khartoum was controversial. The Clinton administration, in its efforts to justify the strikes, told reporters that the plant had strong links to Iraq's chemical weapons program. No fewer than six top Clinton administration officials--on the record--cited the Iraq connection to justify its strikes in response to the al Qaeda attacks on the U.S. embassies. (Some of these officials, like James Rubin and Sandy Berger, now hold top advisory positions in John Kerry's presidential campaign. Kerry, however, now says he was misled about an Iraq-al Qaeda relationship.)
Here is Cohen's response to the 9/11 Commission in its entirety:

But to give you an example, this particular facility [al Shifa], according to the intelligence we had at that time, had been constructed under extraordinary security circumstances, even with some surface-to-air missile capability or defense capabilities; that the plant itself had been constructed under these security measures; that the--that the plant had been funded, in part, by the so-called Military Industrial Corporation; that bin Laden had been living there; that he had, in fact, money that he had put into this Military Industrial Corporation; that the owner of the plant had traveled to Baghdad to meet with the father of the VX program; and that the CIA had found traces of EMPTA nearby the facility itself.

According to all the intelligence, there was no other known use for EMPTA at that time other than as a precursor to VX.

Under those circumstances, I said, "That's actionable enough for me," that that plant could, in fact, be producing not baby aspirin or some other pharmaceutical for the benefit of the people, but it was enough for me to say we're going to take--we should take it out, and I recommended that.
Now, I was criticized for that, saying, "You didn't have enough." And I put myself in the position of coming before you and having someone like you say to me, "Let me get this straight, Mr. Secretary. We've just had a chemical weapons attack upon our cities or our troops, and we've lost several hundred or several thousand, and this is the information, which you had at your fingertips--you had a plant that was built under the following circumstances; you had a manager that went to Baghdad; you had Osama bin Laden, who had funded, at least, the corporation; and you had traces of EMPTA; and you did what? You did nothing?" Is that a responsible activity on the part of the Secretary of Defense? And the answer is pretty clear.

So I was satisfied, even though that still is pointed as a mistake--that it was the right thing to do then. I believe--I would do it again based on that kind of intelligence.

Given this intelligence--and telephone intercepts cited by unnamed Clinton officials between the plant manager and Emad al-Ani, the head of Iraq's chemical weapons program--one wonders why the Iraq war did not take place in the wake of the embassy bombings in 1998.

The 9/11 Commission staff statement also states that "two senior bin Laden associates have adamantly denied that any ties existed between al Qaeda and Iraq." Leaving aside the fact that this claim plainly contradicts the ties between Iraq and al Qaeda cited in the same paragraph, why are these bin Laden associates deemed credible? As noted, detainee debriefings are best viewed skeptically unless they are corroborated by other sources. In this case, numerous other sources have directly contradicted these claims. Did the commission staff have access to these detainees? Are the two al Qaeda detainees mentioned in the staff statement more credible than those who have reported Iraq-al Qaeda ties? That's certainly possible. But the staff report leaves out any description--to say nothing of names--of these al Qaeda detainees.
Information from al Qaeda detainees is attributed to named sources elsewhere in the 9/11 Commission report, but not in this instance. Why? Readers are left wondering.

STAFF STATEMENT 16 briefly assesses the alleged meeting between 9/11 hijacker Mohammed Atta and an Iraqi intelligence official in Prague in April 2001. It says, "Based on the evidence available--including investigation by Czech and U.S. authorities plus detainee reporting--we do not believe that such a meeting occurred."

The report makes no mention of the fact that five senior Czech officials are on record confirming the meeting. In private conversations, some of these officials are less emphatic than their public statements would suggest. Yet when reporters ask about the meeting, the Czechs refer them to their previous public statements confirming the meeting.
And what is the evidence upon which the commission staff bases its conclusion? Articles in the New York Times, Newsweek, and the Washington Post had reported that the U.S. intelligence community has rental car records and hotel receipts that place Atta in the United States at the time of the alleged meeting. According to senior Bush administration officials, no such records exist, and the commission's report mentions no such documentation. "The FBI's investigation," it says, "places [Atta] in Virginia as of April 4, as evidenced by this bank surveillance camera shot of Atta withdrawing $8,000 from his account. Atta was back in Florida by April 11, if not before. Indeed, investigation has established that on April 6, 9, 10, and 11, Atta's cellular telephone was used numerous times to call Florida phone numbers from cell sites within Florida. We have seen no evidence that Atta ventured overseas again or reentered the United States before July, when he traveled to Spain and back under his true name."

So contrary to previous reporting, Atta cannot be definitively placed in the United States at the time of the alleged meeting. Cell phone records are interesting, but hardly conclusive. It is entirely possible that Atta would leave his cell phone behind if he left the country. In any case, the hijackers are known to have shared cell phones.

More disturbing, however, is what the commission staff left out. Staff Statement 16, which purportedly provides the "Outline of the 9/11 Plot," offers a painstakingly detailed account of Atta's whereabouts in the months leading up to 9/11. But it contains a notable gap: The report makes no mention of a confirmed trip--technically, two trips--that Atta made to Prague. (This omission comes despite the fact that the report notes other travel by the hijackers--even trips of unknown significance. Marwan al Shehhi, we are told, took "an unexplained eight-day sojourn to Casablanca.")

Atta applied for a Czech visa in Bonn, Germany, on May 26, 2000. He was apparently one day late. His subsequent behavior suggests that he needed the visa for a trip scheduled for May 30, 2000. Although his visa wasn't ready by that date, Atta took a Lufthansa flight to Prague Ruzyne Airport anyway. Without a visa, Atta could go no farther than the arrival/departure terminal; he remained in this section of the airport for nearly six hours. After returning to Germany, Atta picked up his new visa in Bonn and on June 2, 2000, boarded a bus in Frankfurt bound for Prague. After the approximately seven-hour trip, Atta disappeared in Prague for almost 24 hours. Czech officials cannot find evidence of his staying in a hotel under his own name, suggesting he registered under an assumed name or stayed in a private home. Atta flew from Prague to Newark, New Jersey, on June 3, 2000. Al Shehhi, a fellow hijacker, had arrived in Newark on May 29, 2000.

What was Atta doing? That's unclear. But he went to some lengths to stop in Prague before traveling to the United States. By leaving this out, the 9/11 Commission report seems to suggest that it is irrelevant.
Another omission: Ahmed Hikmat Shakir. Shakir, as WEEKLY STANDARD readers may recall, is an Iraqi who was present at the January 2000 al Qaeda planning meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. U.S. intelligence officials do not know whether Shakir was an active participant in the meeting, but there is little doubt he was there.

In August 1999, Shakir began working as a VIP greeter for Malaysian Airlines. He told associates he had gotten the job through a contact at the Iraqi embassy. In fact, Shakir's embassy contact controlled his schedule--told him when to report to work and when to take a day off. The contact apparently told Shakir to report to work on January 5, 2000, the same day September 11 hijacker Khalid al Mihdhar arrived in Kuala Lumpur. Shakir escorted al Mihdhar to a waiting car and then, rather than bid his guest farewell, jumped in the car with him. The meeting lasted from January 5 to January 8. Shakir reported to work twice after the meeting broke up and then disappeared.

He was arrested in Doha, Qatar, on September 17, 2001. Authorities found both on his body and in his apartment contact information for a number of high-ranking al Qaeda terrorists. They included the brother of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and Abu Hajer al Iraqi, described by one detainee as Osama bin Laden's "best friend." Despite this, Shakir was released from custody. He was detained again on October 21, 2001, in Amman, Jordan, where he was to have caught a flight to Baghdad. The Jordanians held Shakir for three months. The Iraqi regime contacted the Jordanian government and either requested or demanded--depending on who you ask--his release. The Jordanians, with the apparent acquiescence of the CIA, set him free in late January 2002, at which point he returned to Baghdad. Then earlier this spring, Shakir's name was found on three lists of the officers of Saddam's Fedayeen.

It's possible, of course, that there is more than one Ahmed Hikmat Shakir. And even if the Shakir listed as an officer of the Saddam Fedayeen is the same Shakir who was present at the 9/11 planning meeting, it does not mean that the Iraqi regime helped plan or even had foreknowledge of those attacks.

But how can the 9/11 Commission staffers dismiss any potential Iraqi involvement in the 9/11 attacks without even a mention of Ahmed Hikmat Shakir?

By week's end, several 9/11 panel commissioners sought to clarify the muddled report. According to commissioner John Lehman on Fox News, "What our report said really supports what the administration, in its straight presentations, has said: that there were numerous contacts; there's evidence of collaboration on weapons. And we found earlier, we reported earlier, that there was VX gas that was clearly from Iraq in the Sudan site that President Clinton hit. And we have significant evidence that there were contacts over the years and cooperation, although nothing that would be operational."

Commissioner Slade Gorton supports Lehman's comments, adding, "The Democrats are attempting to say that this gives the lie to the administration's claim that there was a connection between 9/11 and Saddam," he said. "But the administration never said that."

The 9/11 Commission will be releasing its report later this summer. Let's hope that that final product is more thorough and convincing than the latest staff statements. What it must do is credibly address the events that are plainly within the commission's purview--including any evidence, from Prague or Kuala Lumpur or elsewhere, of potential Iraqi involvement in 9/11.

When it comes to the broader question of the relationship between Saddam and al Qaeda, the commission cannot be expected to write the definitive history. In the end, it will be up to the Bush administration to make available to the public as much intelligence as possible without jeopardizing sources and methods. Americans are not idiots. They can be expected to grasp the difference between circumstantial evidence and proof; between shared goals and methods and a proved operational alliance. They can accept that not all analysts will agree, and some facts will remain elusive. What they should not have to settle for is the current confusion.

Stephen F. Hayes, a staff writer at The Weekly Standard, is the author of The Connection: How al Qaeda's Collaboration with Saddam Hussein Has Endangered America.

Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. At least in the good ole US of A....we can turn to a different news channel and choose who we want to get our news source from. Most Arab countries only hear one side...and that is Al Jazeera which WE ALL KNOW is a front of al Queda. I know that I do not like Dan Rather....so I do not listen to him, nor do I have to. I know he is a hypocrite and I do not believe anything that comes out of his pro-kerry's mouth. I do not like NBC today's show. It irritates me to no end to listen to Katie Couric and her pro-liberal stance that I just can not even abide to even turn on the Today Show. I do not have to listen to CNN's and their pro-arab stance. Nor do I have to listen to any other news source except the one I choose.

People forget that the only "main" new source most of these arab countries get are very anti-american, very anti-western, and very violent. Yet this same station will show the pictures of the Iraqi prison scandal but will did not show the beheading of Nick Berg, nor even report the beheading. It is all one sided...and is slanted against America. At least with our liberal media we can turn it off and most of us do or turn the station to another new source. Al Jazeera has never shown any positive action that we have done for the Iraqi people. They have not shown the rebuilding of the schools, nor do they show that some of the country's infrastructure exceeds pre-Saddam. They do now show the troops actually helping the Iraqi people.

I sometimes think that our liberal media is almost copying Al Jazeera in their new sources. I would never, ever believe anything Al Jazeera put on TV or in print. I do not think most Americans would...but as for the Arab country...what is written in Al Jazeera is considered a reliable source. I find it strange that Al Jazeera always seems to right at the same point in time that something actually happens, or how it is they always seem to get these tapes right after the event has happened. The link between terrorist and Al Jazeera and we all see it.

Why is it that when a swastik is painted on a Mosque we hear all about that...and oh how could that have happened. Yet I did not see any of the so-called AMERICAN ARAB LEADERS step up and say anything about the beheading of Mr. Berg, Mr. Johnson, and now Mr. Kim. NOTHING!!!! Yet we heard all about the prison scandal from Congress, from the Muslin world, from everyone who ever thought to use this and used it they did. Sorry...panties on your head seems a lot different than having your head cut off...at least they had a head and continued to live. I know what happened at the Prison was wrong...but lets put it in context. At least with the US something will be done...with the arab world....all is quiet.

My next door neighbor is an Arab family. Have I treated them any differntly from my other neighbors. NO. I say hello to them. When they moved in we went over and introduced our selves. They are very nice people. Just like my neighbors on my left. I would never dream of treating either neighbor any different. But I have raised my children to treat everyone the same regardless of color, religion or any other differences we might have. I think I have done a good job of it. When the Arab family moved in nothing was even said about them being different...because to us it was just a different family moving it. That is how I like to live my live.
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hattip to Little Green Footballs:

LA Times Whitewashes Islamic Beheading

These days when I read whitewash pieces like this one at the LA Times, they strike me as the work of people so lost in denial that they are indistinguishable from schizophrenics: Beheading for Sake of Fear, Not Islam. (Hat tip: denbike.)

Quote:
LONDON — Daniel Pearl, Nicholas Berg, Paul M. Johnson Jr. and now a threat against a South Korean: Militants in the Middle East and South Asia have adopted beheading, vaguely invoking religious justifications or Arab tradition for the method of killing. Yet most Muslims would consider that a gross misinterpretation of their religion.

There is nothing particularly Islamic about decapitation, no exhortation in the Koran to carry out beheadings, and no religious prescription for the killing of innocents in any form, religious scholars and academics say.

“Vaguely invoking religious justifications?” The mujahideen, no matter what else they may be, are very thoroughly schooled in Islam and there is absolutely nothing vague about their pronouncements. Has this clueless LAT writer ever even read their words?

To combat this shining example of willful blindness, read The Sacred Muslim Practice of Beheading by Andrew G. Bostom.

Quote:
According to Muhammad’s sacralized biography by Ibn Ishaq, Muhammad himself sanctioned the massacre of the Qurayza, a vanquished Jewish tribe. He appointed an “arbiter” who soon rendered this concise verdict: the men were to be put to death, the women and children sold into slavery, the spoils to be divided among the Muslims. Muhammad ratified this judgment stating that it was a decree of God pronounced from above the Seven Heavens. Thus some 600 to 900 men from the Qurayza were lead on Muhammad’s order to the Market of Medina. Trenches were dug and the men were beheaded, and their decapitated corpses buried in the trenches while Muhammad watched in attendance. Women and children were sold into slavery, a number of them being distributed as gifts among Muhammad’s companions, and Muhammad chose one of the Qurayza women (Rayhana) for himself. The Qurayza’s property and other possessions (including weapons) were also divided up as additional “booty” among the Muslims, to support further jihad campaigns

I’m so sick of this nonsense from our weak-minded media
NoDonkey
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a CNN article from 1999 that reported:

http://edition.cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9902/13/afghan.binladen/
"Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has offered asylum to bin Laden, who openly supports Iraq against the Western powers."

Yet even today, Democrat Party nitwits (like John Kerry) still deny that there were any ties between Al Qaeda and Saddam and our worthless media refuses to call them on it.
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I'm not naive. I'm very well informed and have read most of the pertinent information in Stephen Hayes book. For you to jump in and just call me 'naive' without displaying any critical thinking of your own is insulting. Hayes has done incredible research, but lets remember that he's a partisan working at a partisan think tank. He's got vested interests here. You don't have to disagree with his conclusions to recognize that.

Teresa - calling al-Jazeera the mouthpiece of al-Qaeda is xenophobic and wrong. It's the mouthpiece of arab nationalism, which is a different thing. edited by Moderaor Anyway, what's with all the hatred of that network. On the one hand we're all screaming for the MidEast to liberalize and come "into the 21st century" but al-Jazeera is the only non-state-controlled media outlet in the whole region! It might not be perfect, but if we really want to see a democratic society in the mideast it is an absolutely necessary institution. What do you expect, for every international news organization to support American policy? Come on... That's not realistic, nor is it in the spirit of democracy. It blows my mind how people think that "real" democratic institutions will inevitably be pro-American. Don't you realize they all hate us? Even a democratic Iraq promises to be anti-American. It's like asking a US media outlet to be pro-Arab at the expense of American national pride...who the hell would watch it?

And nodonkey, I would imagine that you could agree not to believe everything you see on cable news.

The problem is that having "contacts" with al-Qaeda doesn't necessarily connotate a working relationship, and I think it's one of the big oversimplifications of the war debate to suggest that. States are big entities with a lot of employees, and interactions between Saddam's intelligence service and al-Qaeda don't, to me, prove that the nation was willing to offer all-out support to the network.

Let's really critically look at this theory:
Hayes' belief basically boils down to this: Saddam's intelligence officials held meetings with al-Qaeda. Bang, that's it. Beyond that even HE agrees that the rest is speculative. But what exactly does that prove, guys? U.S. intelligence officials hold meetings with everyone under the sun. Because U.S. intelligence has probably held meetings with Tibetan refugees to gain intelligence about the world (which is what an intelligence service is for, folks), does that mean that the U.S. is working to destabilize China? Would China have the right to attack us based on those meetings? No, because a good intelligence service will talk to anyone it can.

I mean, what makes you so sure that those meetings weren't Iraqi attempts to recruit al-Qaeda operatives as intelligence sources? I promise you that the CIA is doing the same damn thing in Pakistan right now. If a CIA official meets with the IRA, does that necessarily mean that the CIA wants to destabilize the UK? Look, I believe that those meetings took place but we don't know what was discussed and any attempt to guess is speculation for political purposes.

I'll play devil's advocate and look at it like this: let's say that Iraq did offer al-Qaeda some rudimentary level of material support. That was a nightmare scenario only if you assume and believe that Iraq had WMD before the war, which is the place that the Administration came from while planning the war. Again, faulty intel. But lets look at two scenarios and you can tell me what you think is more likely, given what we now know.

A. Iraq is decimated from the inside out by international sanctions and has been unable to reconstitute its military or chemical weapons program since 1991. The reason why they have been uncooperative with the U.N. inspections regime is because full cooperation would be a sign of Saddam's weakness, which he megalomanically couldn't tolerate. While they still hate America, the international sanctions regime has made it completely unable to strike at America so it plans silly schemes to attack in America (as reported by V. Putin) that will never work out, as with the ridiculous, failed plot to kill George H.W. Bush. In this context, Iraqi intel officials (maybe acting on their own, remember that the biggest revelation we got from this war was how unsophisticated and chaotic Saddam's government really was) meet with al-Qaeda operatives, who request material support. Saddam's intelligence service vaguely agrees, but the fact that Iraq has no WMD makes this irrelevant as a threat.

That's scenario one. Maybe it's not right, so here's the alternative:

2. Saddam makes personal promises to al-Qaeda to assist their war against America even though he has ZERO strategic interest in doing so, other than the personal satisfaction of seeing attacks in the U.S. Thus, he offers to sell WMD (that it now looks like he never had) to terrorists for so small an amount of money that it is insignificant, even though he knows such an action will result in the lengthening of sanctions that he also knows the West are running out of patience with, not to mention a possible invasion.

I'm sorry. I've been following international relations for 20 years and this is not a realistic scenario. Maybe I underestimate the psychosis of Saddam, that's very possible. But he wanted to be the king fish in the MidEast, not to destroy America. He had initially hoped America would support him in that endeavor. So....what? He had a midlife crisis and changed his ambition from regional hegemony to pointless and self-defeating destruction of America? There is nothing to be gained for him from assisting al-Qaeda, which is why I can't believe in the connection. He was too close to winning. If September 11 never happens, Iraqi sanctions expire and Saddam is better off than ever. Why would he want to support international terrorism when it was the worst thing that ever happend to him pre and post 9/11?

It comes down to this: W M D. W...M...D. If Iraq never had WMD then it was not a threat!! Pakistani madrassas are threats, North Korean nuclear labs are threats, the penetration of Saudi police by al-Qaeda is a threat....NOT a toothless Saddam! The reason we went to war was because our government was convinced that there were WMD in Iraq. I don't fault President Bush, I fault a disorganized and incompetent CIA. But the fact of the matter is that if they didn't legitimately think there were WMD in Iraq we wouldn't have gone to war.

If we find those weapons the war was worth it (depending on how much smallpox and VX there is, cause Sarin and botulinum can be made in a bathtub and anthrax can be cultivated from cows). If we don't...then why the hell did we do it? We spent 200 billion dollars (that your kids will pay) because Saddam's intelligence agents talked to al-Qaeda!? Jesus, if we went around doing that we'd have to invade the whole Asian contintent! No, the fact is that WMD was the pretext for the war.

It'd be nice that, if you still think I'm naive, you'd attack my logic with some of your own. Maybe you change my mind. None of you have actually argued anything with me, all you've done is arrogantly dismiss my legitimate concerns and give me links to other people's beliefs.
NoDonkey
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit wrote:

The problem is that having "contacts" with al-Qaeda doesn't necessarily connotate a working relationship, and I think it's one of the big oversimplifications of the war debate to suggest that. States are big entities with a lot of employees, and interactions between Saddam's intelligence service and al-Qaeda don't, to me, prove that the nation was willing to offer all-out support to the network.

For a President to allow tyrant with known contacts to Al Qaeda (and this is a fact) off the hook when there is a a Congressional vote to depose him, would be the height of irresponsibility. 9/11 changed everything. Like President Bush said, we cannot wait until the threat becomes imminent and a chem/bio/nuke weapon developed by Iraq is in the middle of Manhattan, we have to "connect the dots" (that worn out phrase can be used for more than just Monday morning QB'ing), and take out Iraq.

The bottom line is that NONE of our choices post 9/11 were going to be risk-free and NONE of them were going to rid us of the terrorist threat any time soon. President Bush is simply being second-guessed by people who if they even have another solution can't defend it from serious questioning (not even the delusional diatribes Democrats have done), and by people who hated him from day 1 and want him to fail and America as well if that what it takes.
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the fact is that the "contrary" position (continue inspections and practice measured diplomacy) was shouted down by people who claimed that attack by Iraq was so imminent it had to be invaded that instant (re: the "45 minutes" speech). People who suggested that sanctions should continue were shouted down and condemed as Saddam supporters.

I myself wanted to see the U.S. wait a few months, and even though I supported the war I thought we were digging ourselves into a strategic hole by delegitimizing the United Nations (an American created institution).

You see, with hindsight 20/20 it looks like all the timid "let inspections have more time" advocates were right. From what we know right now, sanctions were stunningly successful. Maybe this changes tomorrow. I certainly hope we find all those weapons we were told existed...I could feel much better about supporting the war and it would give our enemies a shot of thorazine in the neck. But the reality is that I don't think we'll find them. If our government really believed they were in Syria, with short-term GOP political fortunes on the line, I believe we would be very loud in demanding them. Very, Very loud. Can you imagine how many satellites we had trained on the Syrian border last March!? They couldn't move a carnival without us knowing in real-time. Nobody in the government takes that seriously, they're still hoping to find them in a cave. (and they might).

Our strategy with Saddam pre-Gulf War 2 was certainly not perfect. But right now we're trying the alternative, and I remain unconvinced that it was the better strategy. Only time will tell.

For the record, I don't want to see America fail. I'd vote for Julius Ceasar if I thought he could rescue us from what I see as a strategically disadvantaged position. I have days that I want to vote for Bush and days that I like Kerry. I don't know enough about Kerry's beliefs to trust him yet, which is partly why I found myself at this site.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: