SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't Ya Just Love the Effete Media?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdpatriot
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit,
i respectfully disagree about the waiting a few more months.

i believe that was precisely why no WMD were found - we waited
too long as it was. and now we are left to wonder.. if there were
WMD - where are they? and who has them? and what do they
intend to do with them? did anyone happen to notice all the Cuban
cigars in Saddam and his sons' homes when our troops arived?
that makes me nervous.

don't know if these will hold any water with you or not, but i
found them pretty thought provoking.
Investigative Report
Saddam's WMD Have Been Found
Post April 26, 2004
By Kenneth R. Timmerman
http://www.insightmag.com/news/670120.html

and

Iraqi Weapons in Syria
Post April 26, 2004
By Kenneth R. Timmerman
http://www.insightmag.com/news/670123.html

and i think part of the International pressure to hold off
was nothing more then fear of what the US troops and
inspectors would find. and that isn't 20/20 hindsight, i
actually had an old Korean Marine Vet tell me before the
war started that there would be some major players in the
UN with their fingers caught in the cookie jar before this
was all over. he is one smart guy. he was dead on.
Investigative Report
Documents Prove U.N. Oil Corruption
Posted April 13, 2004
By Kenneth R. Timmerman
http://www.insightmag.com/news/657739.html

sdpatriot
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those articles. I'll admit, though, that the last year has made me suspicious of articles that have flimsy evidence and "unnamed sources". Think about if that article, written in the same language, was in the NYT. I just can't bring myself to believe it, as much as I want to. For every tidbit of info Timmerman has, I have to believe that Secretary Rumsfeld has five. In that respect, I would believe that if the Pentagon legitimately thought that the WMD was in Syria, there'd be an aircraft carrier group headed for that part of the Mediterranean in a new york minute. I mean think about it: WMD discovery = blowout victory for President Bush. And I disagree strongly with Timerman's assertion that it is unrealistic for the press and public to be waiting for 'stockpiles in warehouses'. In point of fact, warehouses full of stockpiles was exactly what the war was predicated on:

Tell me how many of these remarks have proved correct:
http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2003/17300.htm
"Second, as with biological weapons, Saddam Hussein has never accounted for vast amounts of chemical weaponry: 550 artillery shells with mustard, 30,000 empty munitions and enough precursors to increase his stockpile to as much as 500 tons of chemical agents."

"While we were here in this Council chamber debating Resolution 1441 last fall, we know, we know from sources that a missile brigade outside Baghdad was dispersing rocket launchers and warheads containing biological warfare agent to various locations, distributing them to various locations in western Iraq."

"One of the most worrisome things that emerges from the thick intelligence file we have on Iraq's biological weapons is the existence of mobile production facilities used to make biological agents."

Secretary Powell is unwilling to stand by the presentation he made at the U.N. in February 2003, blaming it on bad CIA intelligence and Free Iraqi Congress disinformation.

Here's one from Asst. Sec. Wolfowitz:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-07-22-wolfowitz-iraq_x.htm
"I'm not concerned about weapons of mass destruction," Wolfowitz told a group of reporters traveling with him. "I'm concerned about getting Iraq on its feet. I didn't come (to Iraq) on a search for weapons of mass destruction."

Plus, as to Israel...Isreal is Syria's sworn enemy. Realpolitik dictates wariness even of one's allies when they speak of their enemies.

IF the WMDs are in Syria that means two things:

One, we were too incompetent to watch the Syrian border in the months prior to the war. (Remember, Secretary Powell cited "tons" of smallpox and anthrax. "Tons" of anthrax moving across the Syrian border in the dead of night would have made a mark, and we would have acted appropriately.

Two, Syria would literally have to be suicidal. It's one thing to leave the borders open to terrorists streaming into Iraq (which they're doing) and another thing to knowingly hide Iraq's WMD. I mean, that wouldn't be a very good idea for Damascus. We're talking 'shock and awe' bad idea.

For those two reasons I have a hard time believing thats where they are, but hey. I'd love to be proven wrong, and we may yet see vindication. My gut tells me if they were there, we'd have found them. We don't even have people really out there looking anymore....they're focusing on the insurgency.

Last edited by sillyrabbit on Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Silly, Silly

Quote:
One, we were too incompetent to watch the Syrian border in the months prior to the war. (Remember, Secretary Powell cited "tons" of smallpox and anthrax. "Tons" of anthrax moving across the Syrian border in the dead of night would have made a mark, and we would have acted appropriately.

The "Tons" Powell would easily fit in 4 40 foot shipping containers and that would be no more than 4 maybe even two semi loads. We have great satellites Silly but if you think we trace every truck leaving Iraq 24-7 for months, you a have a hell of a lot more faith in our intelligence services than have been demonstrated in the last 20 years.
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB, the war was predicated on that faith. If I can't have faith in our intel ability to track the shipments of tons of WMD out of the border of a country we're about to go to war with, how can I trust that they were ever there in the first place?
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit wrote:
ASPB, the war was predicated on that faith. If I can't have faith in our intel ability to track the shipments of tons of WMD out of the border of a country we're about to go to war with, how can I trust that they were ever there in the first place?

That is the stupidest statement I've heard in days! It's not even worthy of a response.
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Why not?

You claim "how can you have faith in the CIA with their record the last twenty years"...but it was CIA intelligence that led us into Iraq!

So which is it, cause you can't have it both ways.

And my experience with debating issues is that when someone says "thats not worthy of a response" its because they're unable to respond to a challenge.
sdpatriot
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit,
ok. i have checked into Mr Timmerman's record as a investigative
reporter and he seems pretty impecable to me. but you don't
have to believe him i guess.

i do wonder what else could be in that huge sand box besides
the occasional cat terd though.. well, besides the airplanes
i mean. (no disrespect in calling the ME desert a cat box, just
quoting from a soldier who has been there)
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/f/foxbat.htm

another thing - i have a cd of pictures.. hundreds of them
that a soldier who served in Iraq gave me. some of the pics
are of gold bars found inside a semi tanker trailer. they were
scooting west with it when our troops discoverd it at a check
point. as the soldier told me - this was the one that DIDN'T get away.

this happened very early into the war... a few weeks after Baghdad was
taken.

makes me wonder what got away - or buried.

sdpatriot
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNN Viewers and NPR Listeners Overwhelmingly
Favor John Kerry
Hattip to: Media Research Center

If the fact than conservatives are drawn to FNC proves the network has a conservative tilt, then CNN and NPR are at least as liberal as FNC is conservative judging by a Rasmussen survey which discovered, that by more than two-to-one, CNN viewers (63 to 26 percent) and NPR listeners (68 to 27 percent) favor John Kerry over George Bush -- about the same margin by which FNC viewers prefer Bush over Kerry (65 to 28 percent).

Rasmussen didn’t bother with trying to locate MSNBC viewers and found that 85 percent of listeners to Rush Limbaugh support President Bush, with 11 percent backing Kerry.

An excerpt of a June 17 Rasmussen Reports press release which the Cable Newser Web site ( www.cablenewser.com ) highlighted on Monday:

Among fans of the Fox News Channel, George W. Bush is winning by a landslide -- 65% to 28%. Those who prefer CNN also prefer Kerry by an almost identical margin (63% to 26%).

The latest Rasmussen Reports survey documents a similar split on the radio dial. Those who listen to National Public Radio prefer Kerry by a 68% to 27% margin. However, those who listen to Christian radio stations on a regular basis prefer Bush, 71% to 23%....

The gaps go deeper than simply the presidential election. In the race for Congress, Fox fans will vote for GOP candidates by a 56% to 25% margin. The CNN audience will vote Democratic by a 54% to 27% margin....

CNBC, while hosting a smaller audience, also has more bi-partisan appeal -- 47% of their audience will vote for Bush while another 47% express a preference for Kerry.

Rush Limbaugh, however, has an entirely different audience -- 85% say they'll vote for Bush and 11% for Kerry.

The national telephone survey of 1,000 Likely voters was conducted by Rasmussen Reports June 15-16, 2004. Margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence.

And Another Thing:

Quote:
Have You Gone Crazy, Calabresi?
A few months ago the New York Times was among those who tried to brew up a kerfuffle over Justice Antonin Scalia's decision not to recuse himself from considering a case involving the office of the vice president. The argument was that because Scalia is a personal friend of the man who currently holds that office, his opinion would somehow create a conflict of interest, or at least the "appearance" of same--never mind that whatever precedent the court sets would apply to all future vice presidents, regardless of party.

Now a New York-based federal judge is openly campaigning against George W. Bush, the New York Sun reported Monday:

"In a way that occurred before but is rare in the United States . . . somebody came to power as a result of the illegitimate acts of a legitimate institution that had the right to put somebody in power. That is what the Supreme Court did in Bush versus Gore. It put somebody in power," said Guido Calabresi, a judge on the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, which sits in Manhattan.

"The reason I emphasize that is because that is exactly what happened when Mussolini was put in by the king of Italy," Judge Calabresi continued, as the allusion drew audible gasps from some in the luncheon crowd Saturday at the annual convention of the American Constitution Society.

According to the Sun, Calabresi "declared that members of the public should, without regard to their political views, expel Mr. Bush from office in order to cleanse the democratic system."

Well, that'll be the day. Whatever the merits of Calabresi's argument--and, of course, they are totally lacking--it's not going to persuade anyone, for the simple reason that the notion that Bush's presidency is "illegitimate" is confined to the left-wing fringe and hyperpartisan Democrats, the sort of people who aren't going to vote for Bush anyway. (As an aside, Calabresi was appointed to the bench in 1994 by Bill Clinton, who two years earlier was elected president even though 57% of voters cast ballots against him.)

But while Calabresi's remarks themselves are inconsequential, his position as a federal judge makes them highly improper. Blogger Eugene Volokh notes that the Code of Conduct for U.S. Judges stipulates that "a judge should not . . . publicly endorse or oppose a candidate for public office."

Well, fortunately, the vigilant defenders of judicial propriety and independence are on the case. The New York Times has an editorial denounc--oh wait, sorry, actually it doesn't have an editorial. Two days after the Sun's scoop, the Old Gray Lady, which supporters call a newspaper, hasn't even bothered wading in with a news story. As we write, a search for "Calabresi" on the Times Web site turns up zilch during the past 30 days. We'll keep you posted.

But gee, you don't suppose all that complaining about Cheney and Scalia was partisan, do you
?

MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR,

I believe the point that ASPB was making was that to even jokingly insinuate that WBD were NEVER in Iraq begs the silliness, no bizarreness,
no amazing, no I don't know what the hell it begs!! Tell it to the Kurds. Tell it to Gulf War vets. Damn, next thing you're gonna tell us is that there were no concentration camps in Germany, Poland, etc. during WWII.

Please tell us all that you were only joking so we can even begin to try to believe anything you ever tell us again!

geeeez Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

GunnerMike
Spectre Gunner and 141 FE
Dedicated to Rico. KIA March 14, 1971.
Love ya man.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit wrote:
Right. Why not?

...snip...
If I can't have faith in our intel ability to track the shipments of tons of WMD out of the border of a country we're about to go to war with, how can I trust that they were ever there in the first place?
...snip...

You claim "how can you have faith in the CIA with their record the last twenty years"...but it was CIA intelligence that led us into Iraq!

So which is it, cause you can't have it both ways.

And my experience with debating issues is that when someone says "thats not worthy of a response" its because they're unable to respond to a challenge.

How can you trust there were WMD in Iraq 20 years ago? Hmmm, there are probably 20,000+ people who could testify to this issue IF THEY STILL LIVED. But, you see, they died when Sadam Husein used the weapons on them. Hmmmm, come to think of it, that might seem biased. Perhaps you can ask the 5000+ Iranian troops - oops, nope, they seem to have died too. What a strange coincidence.

As for lack of intel - place that blame right in William Jefferson "I didn't inhale" Clinton's lap who cut humint resources during the 8 years he was minding the store.

As for your final shot - ASPB was merely pointing out how you perhaps misadjusted your blinders so you wouldn't have to look at the historical facts.
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit wrote:
The weapons that Saddam used twenty years ago appear to have been destroyed or eroded by this point. We were told that there were tons of weapons in 2003, not 1988.

I'll make this simple:
You dismiss my legtimate concerns about the absence of true WMD stockpiles, yet none have been found. At this juncture, it looks like I'm right. David Kay himself stated that it appears that critical intelligence about stockpiles was wrong, and even Secretary Powell admits that many of the stories about bioweapons we were told by INC operatives were just that: stories. If, in a year, there are still no stockpiles found will you still believe that they were spirited away in the dead of night?

All things considered, it looks like our intelligence was wrong. That's how history will judge this event unless we find significant new information or evidence.

This a moderator comment!

Please stop the distortion of facts in your statements. Not once did Powell make the admission you claim and I'm darn sure you know it . If you cannot provide a direct quote to support you false assertion your post will be deleted.

sdpatriot
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillyrabbit,

I still have to agree with these statements by Bush given in 2002.

Quote:
"If Saddam Hussein is unwilling to bend to the international community's already existing order, then he will have invited enforcement, even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act."

Quote:
"-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."

Quote:
"The threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real, but as I said, it is not new. It has been with us since the end of that war, and particularly in the last 4 years we know after Operation Desert Fox failed to force him to reaccept them, that he has continued to build those weapons. He has had a free hand for 4 years to reconstitute these weapons, allowing the world, during the interval, to lose the focus we had on weapons of mass destruction and the issue of proliferation."

Quote:
"The Iraqi regime's record over the decade leaves little doubt that Saddam Hussein wants to retain his arsenal of weapons of mass destruction and to expand it to include nuclear weapons. We cannot allow him to prevail in that quest."

sdpatriot

whoops, silly me, those were KERRY '02 quotes.... not Bush.
Wink

Last edited by sdpatriot on Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SillyRabbit,

I am deleting your post as you did not provide, which I knew you couldn't find, ANY statement directly referencing the Iraqi National (INC) I, for one, will not tolerate leftwing distortions and misquotations in this forum.

As Moderator

sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by Moderator - War Dog

Sillyrabbit, see the PM I just sent to you!
ASPB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hattip to the Washington Dispatch

Quote:
The same day that Al Qaeda terrorists in Iraq killed another civilian, this time beheading a young man from South Korea, the media flipped over yet another non-story over, what else, American "torture" of prisoners. This time the story revolved around whether or not President Bush and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld authorized, indeed ordered, the torture of Iraqi and Afghan prisoners being held in Iraq and Cuba. Breaking news banners hit the news channels as President Bush authorized the release of documents proving the contrary.

None of that mattered, though, since many people who hate President Bush and are more critical of our military than they are of Al Qaeda began the onslaught of commentary that typifies their rhetoric. So what made them so upset? It was the fact that the following were permitted under a directive signed by Secretary Rumsfeld:

Putting detainees in "stress positions," - all that means is making them stand up for up to four hours or bend down; not torture; and,

Removing prisoners' clothes - ever been to boot camp, we were naked in groups and it was no war crime; and,

Intimidating detainees with dogs - let me guess, barking dogs are offensive to young Arab males?

Interrogating prisoners for 20 hours at a time - prisoners have little else to do while they’re being detained, why not question them? Again back to boot camp, Marines get about 3 hours of sleep during "The Crucible" portion of boot camp - is that torture?

Forcing prisoners to wear hoods during interrogations and transportation - good enough for Senator Byrd, why is it not good enough for prisoners?

Shaving detainees' heads and beards - cleanliness is next to Godliness; and,

Using "mild, non-injurious physical contact," such as poking - repeat the boot camp analogy - same kind of contact.

Compare the mild treatment of prisoners to those we are fighting. First, the folks fighting us in Afghanistan, those who made it to Cuba, are there because they were caught on a battle field fighting American troops. Who besides Ted Kennedy and the others on the left feel sorry for people who wanted to kill our forces? Leave it to the left to decide that people who were out shooting Americans for sport one week deserve better treatment than people in our military.

Secondly, the people mistreated in Abu Ghraib deserved whatever mistreatment they received. I don’t condone torturing human beings, but I’m to the point where I’m willing to give it a try. If a barking dog is so bad to Arab men and shaving their heads and beards would have such a bad affect on their psyche, then let the dogs bark and commence to shaving.

If we could save one American life or the life of one member of the coalition by forcing a guy to stand naked next to a barking dog - let’s just say that is "torture" I’m willing to accept.

The problem with talking about the torture of prisoners is that it is not happening. Torture is chopping off the head, the hands, the feet, beatings and other tactics employed by the Arab world against their own people. Talk to someone in Saudi Arabia convicted of theft and check out their missing hand. The Arab world understands and responds to torture, how is it that when they do it the left hardly whimpers, but when a dog is used to intimidate an Iraqi or Afghan who was killing Americans two days before suddenly the left goes nuts?

Now that western heads have become fashion in Iraq and Saudi Arabia one would think that we would be looking at ways to improve our tactics to get information from these Al Qaeda thugs and terrorists, but we’re not. We’re, through our media and the leftist politicians and activists, are now doing everything we can to emasculate our forces so that the only people who must adhere to the laws of war are Americans.

It is high time to rethink our relationship to the Geneva Conventions. The United States has and always will treat people humanely, but the notion that we should surrender to the political correctness of the left and those sympathetic to our enemy is treason of the first order. Those who don’t like the way America treats prisoners should consider that they’re giving strength to the enemy by tying the hands of the men and women charged with our protection. They won’t think that way, of course, because their selfishness only allows them to manifest their hate for President Bush in their news releases and public statements supportive of our enemy.

The other day Michael Savage made a point that people who aid the enemy are traitors and that it is time to point the people out. Fine, I’ll start with those who coddle the enemy with press releases and media stories about mistreatment of Iraqis and Afghans on the day a South Korean’s head is lobbed off by the enemy.

Enough is enough - the media has a responsibility to report the news, not to modify non-stories about non-existent torture. I wonder what would happen if the next head to be hacked off by Al Qaeda belonged to a journalist?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: