SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone please clarify the Discharge question for many o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miltonsket
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Can someone please clarify the Discharge question for many o Reply with quote

I have read many cryptic posts on this and I don't understand -
Can someone please clarify the Discharge question for many of us.
At http://www.johnkerry.com/about/john_kerry/military_records.html

Kerry site there is his Navy discharge from DD-214 here:

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/DD214.pdf

and then the reserve discharge at:

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Acceptance_of_Discharge_Naval_Reserve.pdf

Please in simple terms what is the controversy?
Is there a discrepancy in the dates or are these forms not correct?
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major discrepancy, his Reserve Obligation was supposed to end in 1972, he did not recieve his discharge until 1978. That is a difference of 6 years, rather unusual situation, especially considering he never re-enlisted or extended his Reserve Time.
miltonsket
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Thank you - I see that know but.... Reply with quote

Ok I understand that from the DD-214 form but is there also something strange about the 1978 letter besides its seven years late. Is this a standard reserve dismissal letter / form ?
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't say except on appearance of the dates. When I left the Military it was from the Active Component.
I actually have two seperate DD-214s, one from my first Enlistment, the other from my second enlistment to include all my Reserve time between the two Active tours.
My first specificaly stated my reserve Obligation time, at the end of which I recieved no notification that it was over, or a "Discharge" from it.
openfish24
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put simply

Kerry won't release his records because to do so would show that he got an other than honorable discharge. The result of which was the revoking of all his medals.

Later in approx 1978 he got his discharge changed somehow. His medals were then reinstated.

I don't see why he keeps hiding this. If he does win they will sue to get his records released just as the dems did to George Bush. Only for Kerry hiding his discharge will result in impeachment.

Go figure
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb325th wrote:
That is a difference of 6 years, rather unusual situation, especially considering he never re-enlisted or extended his Reserve Time.

A reserve officer doesn't need to "re-enlist" to extend his reserve time. On leaving extended active duty (EAD) he maintains his reserve commission until: he resigns it; he is passed over twice for a mandatory reserve promotion; he is involuntarily RIFed when the service wants to eliminate non-performing/un-needed officers; (or some other cause?)

I have known Air Force reserve officers who resigned, were twice passed over, and RIFed - never anybody in the forth category.
Ret. SMCS
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1978 letter is NOT normal! The two articles of Title 10 it cites deal with Involuntary separation from the reserves! Boards were NOT convened for discharges unless the discharge was going to be anything less than General, or if it was a request to have a discharge upgraded.

The more I look at John Kerry's military record (what he has posted, the more questions I have).

USN SMCS(SW/AW), Retired '83-03
Spiess
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only was his Honorable Discharge 6 years after his end of obligation the DD-214 does not show his awards, his awards were not added to his dd-214 untill august 2000, {I believe is the date} now there are two ways a person can recieve a new DD-214 with out awards, there was a review of either Other then honorable discharge or a dishonorable discharge. Dishonoarble discharge requires the conviction of a felony I believe is what Lipscombe wrote, however an other then honorable would be a likely scenerio due to his involvment with the Communists in the 1970s and known associates to american grown terrorist Al Hubbard,
Al Hubbard was a Black Panther, My Father was a police Officer in Lakewood Colorado during this time he classifies the black panthers as Terrorist, responsible for killing police officers, and bombings as a means to affect political change.

I hope this helps.
The Ghost
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
rb325th wrote:
That is a difference of 6 years, rather unusual situation, especially considering he never re-enlisted or extended his Reserve Time.

A reserve officer doesn't need to "re-enlist" to extend his reserve time. On leaving extended active duty (EAD) he maintains his reserve commission until: he resigns it; he is passed over twice for a mandatory reserve promotion; he is involuntarily RIFed when the service wants to eliminate non-performing/un-needed officers; (or some other cause?)

I have known Air Force reserve officers who resigned, were twice passed over, and RIFed - never anybody in the forth category.

i have not seen any records that show that kerry done any so called reserve duties

can any one correct me on this ?

http://www.wabcradio.com/listenlive.asp
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ghost wrote:
i have not seen any records that show that kerry done any so called reserve duties

can any one correct me on this ?

There are no records (or real reason) to assume he was expected to "drill" when he left extended active duty (EAD) - his only "obligation" was to stay in the reserves (on EAD or standby/inactive reserve) for a total of 6 years after completing OCS.

His DD-214 upon leaving EAD shows honorable service - I know of NO reason that ANY reserve officer NOT in an active duty status can be prosecuted under the UCMJ. It seems to me, the worst the Navy could have done to him was terminate his commission with a letter of reprimand. His anti war actions - while potentially treasonous under US law - could not make him subject to the UCMJ.

There may be - and probably is - a letter of reprimand in his file. My money says there is no dishonorable discharge - sorry.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reread docs on JK website Reply with quote

Here is what is available with regard to his service AFTER leaving extended active duty (EAD):

1 Mar 72 - ltr from Chief of Naval Personnel, states that without further action from Kerry he would be transferred to Standby-Reserve Inactive effective 1 Apr 72 or 1 Oct 72, whichever came first.

14 Aug 72 - ltr Standby-Reserve Inactive – modified date to read 1 Jul 72 instead of 1 Apr 72 – to me this meant he went into the Standby-Reserve Inactive on 1 Jul 72

16 Feb 78 lrt from SECNAV with subj: Honorable Discharge from US Naval Reserve. Paragraph 2 says this action is taken in accordance with the approved recommendations of a board of officers … Note that this is a FORM letter! The board met because the Navy was cleaning house and getting rid of non-participating reserve officers – such removal required action of a board of officers by Navy regs.

This is the letter often quoted to "prove" a dishonorable discharge (Title 10 USCS 1163). I just don't see a form letter being used if something sinister was involved.

13 Jul 78 ltr – Acceptance of resignation/discharge – makes reference the 16 Feb 78 SECNAV (NRPC Code 25) ltr.
Nothing sinister about NRPC Code 25 – a Google search showed it was the Naval Reserve Personnel Center address (Code 25) for separation/retirement matters.

I just don't see any smoking gun and I sure WISH I did!

Edited to include 16 Feb letter. I don't like spending time on this topic but I hate to see so much discussion on "a dog that won't hunt"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: