SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What was the real impact of the Swifties' ads?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Election Day 2004 - Read Only
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chemical_boy
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

527’s Matter and Swift Boat Vets Top the Heap –

Best Known, Most Impact and Highest Ad Recall

http://www.fabmac.com/FMA-2004-11-04-527-Effects.pdf

Watching Michael Moores every Move
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bang for the buck....
Boy I do love a bargain..... Smile
crockspot
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBVT torpedoed the Kerry campaign, and caused them to bail water the rest of the race.

Beyond Kerry, the wider effect to humanity and history will be a re-examination, or at least a questioning of, the existing myths of the Vietnam War. This was the first highly visible and impacting challenge to those myths, and the ripples will continue forever.
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly agree that the SBVT ads had the most impact of all the 527 ads. The rehabilitation of Viet Nam vets as a class of people was a beneficial and unexpected side effect. This will reverberate for some time, as an earlier post pointed.
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ads defined who kerry was, something he had neglected to do himself to the american public. They brought into sharp focus exactly who he was, and what he had done.
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: What was the real impact of the Swifties' ads? Reply with quote

Ads were definitely effective in defeating John Kerry. Today AP article gives credit to SBVT HOWEVER AP article discredits SBVT by stating most allegations were never proven to valid.

Although other articles give SBVT "credit" for causing Kerry's defeat the article go on in qualifying the charges were never substantiated or the SBVT is glossed over so the impact is minimized.

JK
Route6
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: THE SWIFTIES AND POWS DID IT! Reply with quote

Kerry was in full swing, aided by that intellectual Michael Moore. Kerry's popularity was growing rapidly, he was gaining every day. It was downright scary and I was very worried. And then the Swifties and POWs came. Kerry's momentum vanished overnight! It was GONE! GONE! GONE! No matter how he struggled afterwards, it was over. I was revived. From that moment on every time I heard his name or his voice, which was intolerable to me before, now only brought a smile to my face as I whispered: "Bye bye Kerry."

Thanks again very much for a very well done job!

Very Happy
GM1954
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an excerpt from an article on Drudge this morning:

KEY MOMENTS – INSIDE THE CAMPAIGNS
Wed Nov 03 2004 19:40:31 ET TIME REVEALS A SERIES OF UNTOLD STORIES AND CRISES IN THE BUSH AND KERRY CAMPAIGNS

"KERRY: Waiting Too Long To Fight Back Against Swift Boat Veterans for Truth: Kerry’s handlers, led by pollster Mark Mellman and consultant Bob Shrum, had convinced themselves it was unwise to respond to the Swifties’ ads, which were running in only three states, because it would serve to amplify the phony charges. But Kerry was jolted to respond when, at the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convention in Cincinnati, Ohio, on Aug. 18, dozens of vets asked, "What are you waiting for? You gotta fight back!" Kerry was livid. The campaign quickly changed gears, TIME reports."

Congratulations to the SwiftVets folks.
frankzzz
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the main impact of the ads was with the veteran and military vote. If I’m not mistaken, Kerry was polling about 60% favorable among these groups before the ads and wound up under 30% after the ads. And that’s a lot of votes to try and make up.

Good job Swifties.

Well done.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll never know for certain, but IMO efforts here were worth a 2% swing in the popular vote.

Look at the numbers. That 2% was decisive.

Well done, SVPFT -- well done. I'm glad I could do a small part to help.
joe_madeup
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As John O'Neill said (small article in a Houston paper this AM)....if nothing else, the SV&PfT forced Kerry to stop running on his "I'm a War Hero" shtick, and to talk about the issues instead....where greater numbers of people agree(d) with Bush.

I agree with others above, there was also a huge effect in terms of raising the energy of the vet / pro-vet opposition to Kerry. As we've seen here. Plus that "subliminal effect" of planting doubts about Kerry, or making people more alert to any appearance that he might be slagging our troops in Iraq. In the last few days of the campaign, Bush played on that.

I just wish more people could have dealt with the truth of what the SV&PfT were saying on a conscious level. I still see "The SV were a pack of lies" in the media, or hear it from people. WtF is that???? I have not seen ANYONE refute the fact that Kerry did not spend a single day the hospital, or have any serious wound to speak of, for any of his 3 Purple Hearts. It's undeniable. Or refute the fact that Kerry MADE UP the key turning point of his life (Christmas in Cambodia).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Election Day 2004 - Read Only All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: