SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you SwiftVets and POWs, my father is on cloud 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wvobiwan
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Thank you SwiftVets and POWs, my father is on cloud 9 Reply with quote

I didn't see this forum until after I had already posted my letter to the Epilogue forum. Here's the link to the Epiloque post (http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16755). Here's my letter:

Dear SwiftVets and POWs,

I joined the SW forum back in August after coming across a reference to it on line. As the younger son of a 2-tour Vietnam Vet my first post dealt with the fragile feelings of a 6-8 year old missing his daddy, and not understanding why people on the news and at school were saying horrible things about him.

It also dealt with my resentment towards him, and my shame because of it. As I became an adult I began to understand what he meant by honor, duty, country, and committment. My pride in my father began to take on more and more depth, and shape. And to this day it grows everytime I see and talk to him.

My father didn't talk much about his experiences in Vietnam, or especially after. I came to understand his feeling of shame for being forced to leave behind good friends and comrades in the S. Vietnamese, Mong, and Montanyards. He was always very stoic about it, and professed to not care what the nation thought about his service. But I think inside he always burned with frustration and anger about the anti-war betrayers and what they did to Vietnam, and his own country. I think he always secretly longed for vindication.

Before I joined the the SwiftBoat/POW Forum I only had a vague understanding of John Kerry's role in the theft of our Vietnam soldiers' and marines' honor. I had a fuzzy notion that John Kerry was a hero who couldn't obey viscious and criminal orders. I confess I believed the Kerry/liberal media propaganda - information is a powerful thing and at the time I had none.

Veterans on this site opened my eyes to the real story, even more than my father had. In fact, my father was amazed at the level of detail and information I obtained from or through your website.

The experience of discussing this with my father was a watershed moment in my life. My father was always my hero, even when I missed him and couldn't understand why he was gone. But now my father and I are even closer than before, and I understand the true depth of his character, and Vietnam Vets/POWs in general, more than I ever have.
What Vets have gone through due to the Kerry/Fonda/Anti-war theft of their honor is perhaps the most sickening betrayal I've ever seen.

And so I thank you SwiftVets and POWs, from the bottom of my heart, and for eternity. Not only were you instrumental in preventing a traitor from being elected as my president, but you also exposed the lies and smears perpetrated on my father and all Vietnam Vets. Even more important than that (to me, please understand), you helped me understand my father better, and I'm more proud of him than ever. For all of these reasons, and of course for your wartime service to my country, I will aways be in your debt.

Sincerely,

Doug
Harpers Ferry, WV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: