SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have A Coke And A Smile

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garb1015
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Have A Coke And A Smile Reply with quote

I received an email today regarding the new "Patriotic" cans that Pepsi is coming out with. I haven't verified this yet, maybe some of you have heard about it.
The cans are said to be decorated with the Empire State Building and The Pledge of Allegiance and possibly other things.
But Pepsi said that they didn't want to offend anyone so they left out "Under God".
The "edited" version of the Pledge of Allegiance was being discussed here the other day.
Do you see this as a mistake by Pepsi?
adidas
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much so.

In fact, I goto www.restorethepledge.com forums quite frequently and argue/debate with the left-wing liberal atheists that are there. They truly are absurd (I think) in their thinking. Talking to them is like talking to a brick wall. I thought it would be kind of cool to get a group of conservatives to go over there and prove how ridiculous they are.

But yes, I think Pepsi made a BIG mistake by not including 'Under God' (If it's true).
B_Francis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Have A Coke And A Smile Reply with quote

garb1015 wrote:
I received an email today regarding the new "Patriotic" cans that Pepsi is coming out with. I haven't verified this yet, maybe some of you have heard about it.
The cans are said to be decorated with the Empire State Building and The Pledge of Allegiance and possibly other things.
But Pepsi said that they didn't want to offend anyone so they left out "Under God".
The "edited" version of the Pledge of Allegiance was being discussed here the other day.
Do you see this as a mistake by Pepsi?

no. I got this same e-mail 2 years ago, and it was a hoax. these e-mails seem to just go around and around.
let me point you here:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/drpepper.asp

and here:

http://www.pepsiworld.com/help/false_rumor.php

and here:

http://www.dpsu.com/drpepper_can.html

for the full story. it's not true about pepsi, and to say it was true about dr. pepper is a stretch.
garb1015
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, B_Francis.
Like I said, I hadn't heard about it and had asked if anyone had.
B_Francis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garb1015 wrote:
Thanks for the link, B_Francis.
Like I said, I hadn't heard about it and had asked if anyone had.

not a problem. I always check out the e-mails I get like this. any chain e-mail I get, I poke around to check the validity of it's claims. then, I reply to all who got the original e-mail and let them in on the fact that it is a hoax. I think my family hates me for that. such is the life of a skeptic.
PhD candidate
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Under God Reply with quote

First--- I am new here and I was just wondering how this is not off topic? Reading through the posts I sometimes see those that are in disagreement with the majority of this forum being told they are off topic. This seems just as off topic to me.

I am not an atheist but I think that if under God is offensive to some than perhaps it should be removed from the pledge. America is a diverse culture and not all people believe in God. Are you saying that my lefty liberal view makes me an atheist? My catholic mother would be dismayed to hear it.
adidas wrote:
Very much so.

In fact, I goto www.restorethepledge.com forums quite frequently and argue/debate with the left-wing liberal atheists that are there. They truly are absurd (I think) in their thinking. Talking to them is like talking to a brick wall. I thought it would be kind of cool to get a group of conservatives to go over there and prove how ridiculous they are.

But yes, I think Pepsi made a BIG mistake by not including 'Under God' (If it's true).
kurtsprincess
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Under God Reply with quote

PhD candidate wrote:
First--- I am new here and I was just wondering how this is not off topic? Reading through the posts I sometimes see those that are in disagreement with the majority of this forum being told they are off topic. This seems just as off topic to me.

I am not an atheist but I think that if under God is offensive to some than perhaps it should be removed from the pledge. America is a diverse culture and not all people believe in God. Are you saying that my lefty liberal view makes me an atheist? My catholic mother would be dismayed to hear it.
adidas wrote:
Very much so.

Would you actually say the pledge if the reference to God were removed? Or would you then say that we are a diverse nation and some are offended by our flag so we should scuttle the entire pledge?

I say that if you are offended by the reference to God, then keep your mouth shut while it is being said. After all, this is a free nation and we are free to say what we want, and we are free to NOT say what we want.

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: