SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you - Adm Hoffman, John O'Neill, & band of brother

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen Marquette
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Thank you - Adm Hoffman, John O'Neill, & band of brother Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you to those who rallied to get the word out about John Kerry.

I am trying not to gloat, but I am savoring the wonderful feeling of victory after several months of anxiety over the election. I am a partisan, and have been a supporter of George W Bush for all his campaigns – governor of Texas and president.

I am also a Vietnam veteran. I spent part of 1970 and part of 1971 in the 1st Air Cavalry. I knew nothing of John Kerry in 1971 when I returned home after 12 months and 21 days in Nam. Early in 1972, I learned of Kerry’s VVAW activities, as well as those actions of Jane Fonda and others. I knew several veterans that came home discouraged and distraught over their time overseas, but none that joined the VVAW. I was a 21-year-old kid, angry and confused by the reaction of the public, the protestors, and the press towards those of us that had served our country. Although distressed by some of the decisions of politicians concerning the Vietnam effort, I could not believe the things being said about those of us that had served honorably. I believed then, and believe today, that the US efforts in Vietnam were honorable. I believe that those that gave the ultimate sacrifice, did so for an honorable cause – none of which were the “last man to die for a mistake.” The only dishonor was in the way that the war was executed – and the manner in which it was ended.

I went on with my life, went back to college, got married to a wonderful life-saving lady, raised a family, became a successful businessman – and buried my Vietnam history far back in my memory. Due to the negative reaction of people, I never spoke of it – never joined veteran organizations, and never allowed myself to think of it. I spent 35 years burying the pain of unfair dishonor.

I forgot about John Kerry, and never realized that he was a senator from Massachusetts. When this presidential campaign began, I began to wonder if I had heard of John Kerry before. It was nagging at me, but I didn’t know why. Early this year, my wonderful wife of 32 years ran across some information on the Swift Boat Vets on the internet.

As we began to read your information, the memories and pain returned. I became angry all over again, as I learned for the really the first time, exactly who John Kerry really was. I began to speak to people at work, at the music shop where I hang around and play guitar – and was astonished to realize that people still believe the lies and rumors of John Kerry & friends from 1971. Friends I have known for several years asked with wary looks, questions like “are you saying you never committed ANY war crimes or atrocities? Really, tell the truth.” When I replied that I was never ordered, and never took part in, any rapes, baby-killings, village burnings or decapitations, they didn’t believe me. I was astonished to find that people had totally bought into the lies from the 70’s – that atrocities were commonplace, and even endorsed by military leadership.

I pre-ordered the book “Unfit for Command” and studied it. After it came out, I bought more copies and gave them away. I shared the content with as many as I could. I went on a personal campaign, aided by my wife and grown sons and daughters-in-law, to inform people of the real John Kerry. When asked if it mattered what Kerry did as a kid, I bought the book Tour of Duty and the New Soldier. I read them, as painful as it was. I had the facts to debate anyone that felt the desire. I realized that Kerry not only refused to acknowledge the error of his comments, he continued to endorse the lies. He turned on us, refused to acknowledge the error of that, but wanted to run as one of our “band of brothers.” He’s not one of us. My goal was to inform others and win over one person at a time, to help insure that John Kerry would not be elected commander-in-chief. I could not bear to see another generation of young soldier denigrated and dishonored by the “wrong war, wrong time, wrong place” crowd.

It worked. WE WON. Thank you for your efforts – your web site, your book, your TV ads. Thank you for helping awaken us to the real John Kerry. Thank you for helping me to FINALLY feel honor for my humble sacrifice. May God bless you all.
Maggie
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for serving, Steve.

God bless.

Maggie
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome home Steve I served 1975-1979 USAF - Security Police Strategic Air Command. I never served in a war zone but many of the honorable men I served with did. Many of who came back into service after being misunderstood when they went back to their family & friends. We won a major battle this year; however we have a lot of work to fully restore the honor of our Vietnam veterans.

Happy Veterans Day!

And I thank you for your service.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: